What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short Story about a living man who is mistakenly invited to a ghost party

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 3 comments Genre: Short Story
Year: 1990s or earlier

I think this was a short story in an anthology put out by Readers Digest (?) containing a lot of old Weird Tales Magazine short stories. It may have been in one of the scary stories for kids books. I used to read a lot of short stories as a kid.

What I remember (spoilers included):

A man is walking down the street on Halloween (I think). He's dressed in a costume (cowboy?) and looks very authentic. A woman sees him and invites him to a party.

[SPOILERS --->] She assumes he's a ghost, he assumes she's alive and wearing a really good historic costume. They go to a party full of ghosts and at some point he is challenged to a duel. When he gets hurt and starts to bleed, the ghosts are terrified of him. Turns out they're all afraid of the living.

Thanks!

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 116 comments in More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark there is a story called The Church where a man goes into an abandoned church to get out of the rain which turns out to be full of ghosts. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for??

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 3 comments Audrey wrote: "in More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark there is a story called The Church where a man goes into an abandoned church to get out of the rain which turns out to be full of ghosts. Maybe that’s what..."

That's a good suggestion, but I just checked it out and that's not the same story. I really appreciate your help, though! If you think of anything else, let me know - it's been bugging me for years.