Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

She Rides Shotgun
This topic is about She Rides Shotgun
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Harper, Jordan --She Rides Shotgun informal buddy read starts May 25, 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper.

Synopsis
Eleven-year-old Polly is smart far beyond her years. But she's a loner. Her mother tells her she has 'gunfighter eyes', like the father she's never met. In prison, about to be released, Nate runs afoul of the powerful leader of the Aryan Brotherhood. Marked for death on his release, Nate soon realizes that everyone he has ever loved is a target - including his daughter, Polly. Now, forced into hiding by the greenlight placed upon them, Nate finds himself having to teach his estranged daughter how to survive in a kill-or-be-killed world, all the while observed by Polly's teddy bear, who is soon the only outlet for the little girl's emotions. Soon the two of them find themselves on a non-stop struggle for survival, and along the way, discover the bonds that eluded them for so many years...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Jenny | 4943 comments Thanks for setting this up!

Laura | 9707 comments No problem:-)

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Pearce | 1 comments What are the odds? I haven't looked at GoodReads in months, and I just started this book last night! Thanks for organizing this. Where will I find the questions?

Jenny | 4943 comments Hi Kathy!
It is an informal buddy read, so just comment as you go, or ask questions if you like. If you are going to comment on a very spoilery part of the book, put it under a spoiler tag.

(Yes, I am sure that spoilery is a word.)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Kathy!

This was recommended to me a couple of years ago and I'm finally able to access a copy. I just finished chapter 2.
Interesting start. I'm intrigued!

Jenny | 4943 comments Just read the intro. I have to stop and say. Nazis. Yuck. I'm totally OK with all of the white supremacists somehow going away. Forever.

On to the story...

Jenny | 4943 comments I am liking this so far.
(view spoiler)

Stacey | 559 comments Ok, I've been reading a lot today and am in Chapter 17. It is definitely interesting.

(view spoiler)

Stacey | 559 comments Kathy, glad to have you join us. What are your thoughts on the book so far?

Laura | 9707 comments Sorry, I start books and then I 'm pokey on them because of the challenges I am in. I will get back to this one tomorrow!

message 14: by MelanieJoy (last edited May 26, 2020 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I read this in 2016 or 17 and loved it! I was very intrigued by the story and the writing style and the thoughts/actions/decisions of the characters. It's very much unlike my life and I loved getting to experience something completely different through Polly's eyes. This is a book I highly recommend, one that stayed with me.

Laura | 9707 comments MelanieJoy wrote: "I read this in 2016 or 17 and loved it! I was very intrigued by the story and the writing style and the thoughts/actions/decisions of the characters. It's very much unlike my life and I loved getti..."

I was always sad that I couldn't access a copy when you recommended it to me. So glad it was finally free on KU! Thanks for the recommendation Melanie!

Jenny | 4943 comments (view spoiler)
Up to chapter 18. I am having very mixed feelings about Nate.
Polly is great, and I don't want her to change into something bad. Please.

Jenny | 4943 comments I got to that point and couldn't stop. So I am done.
(view spoiler)

All that being said, I did like the book. It grabbed me, and I needed to know what happened next.

(view spoiler)

So, once again, bravo for the recommendation!

Stacey | 559 comments Wow, Jenny. I'm impressed at how quickly you read. I'm at chapter 34. I think this is going to be one of those books that I have trouble saying that I liked because of the subject matter. Bastard out of Carolina was like that for me as well.

I love Polly's teddy bear. I think more kids could use an outlet like that for expression.

Stacey | 559 comments I finished today. Wow. I liked it, I think. The drugs were hard as was all that Polly went through. I agree a lot with Jenny, so not sure what else I can add right now. Maybe after I digest it a bit.

I read My Dark Vanessa just before this. Looking forward to something a bit lighter. I just got Nothing to See Here, so I think that should be. Laura, I also managed to get the Mercies if you haven't started yet.

Jenny | 4943 comments Nothing to see here is amazing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I gave it to my sister to read, and she finished it a few days ago. She now has a list of friends that she wants to lend it to. I won't be getting my book back anytime soon! Yay!

Jenny | 4943 comments If you both have The Mercies, do you want to start that one next? If so, when would be a good start date. I doesn't matter for me, as I own the book, so I can start anytime.

Or, of course something else could work too!

Laura | 9707 comments I had to return my copy when it expired; I didn't get a chance to read it. I do have a copy of Valentine that I 'm hoping to read before that expires. Feel free to read The Mercies without me and I can finish this and jump in on the next one!

I just finished chapter 4
(view spoiler)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Jenny, that's exactly how I felt about everything when I read it.

Laura, I'm glad you're finally getting to it! I miss doing Buddy reads with you!

My library doesn't have The Mercies available for a while, so if there's another one you guys want to do soon, let me know!

Jenny | 4943 comments I'm good with Valentine too!

We could do both. I usually have more than one book going at the same time. Addict. I know.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Can’t join valentine due to an extremely long library hold list but you guys enjoy!

Laura | 9707 comments That's usually my problem Melanie.. a long wait time for newer releases.

Jenny, let me finish this one first and then I 'd be up for reading Valentine

Feel free to suggest books for a buddy read Melanie and we can see if we are interested/get access!

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm good with Valentine too!

We could do both. I usually have more than one book going at the same time. Addict. I know."

Lol!!

Jenny | 4943 comments Let's try to find one that we can all read. I think it is my turn, but I will happily let Melanie suggest something. Or, I will be back with some other titles.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Jenny go for it! I'm new to joining so it doesn't feel like it should be my turn, haha!

Jenny | 4943 comments You can go next!
Let me go look for some books...

Stacey | 559 comments Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Jenny | 4943 comments OK. Here is a pretty eclectic list of books that are on my shelf. Any look good to you guys?

The Beauty of Your Face by Sahar Mustafah A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1) by Arkady Martine Severance by Ling Ma The Truants by Kate Weinberg Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky A Beginning at the End by Mike Chen The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata The Revisionaries by A.R. Moxon Curious Toys by Elizabeth Hand All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal

That's probably good for now. I have a lot of books staring at me.

Laura | 9707 comments That works for me, I can return Valentine and try it later at my own pace

Stacey | 559 comments Jenny, that is quite a varied collection! There are some I would prefer more than others but sometimes the ones I wouldn't pick are the best.

Jenny | 4943 comments Well, I plan to read them all, so I would prefer it you all chose. Or, we can go alphabetically through the several hundred that are on my TBR list. I'm good with that too. (can you imagine)

Laura | 9707 comments Quite a few look great, and a few are ones I 've wanted to read. I don't mind working through several of these. Stacey and Melanie can you match any of the ones I 'm able to get easily?

I can get All Is Not Forgotten soonish
I can get a copy of A Beginning at the End first of June
and I can get Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows immediately

I really want to read Imaginary Friend & A Good Neighbourhood but that's a little wait

message 37: by MelanieJoy (last edited May 28, 2020 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments These look great! The ones I can get my hands on now or within two weeks that look the best are

The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata (would be the longest wait for me-2 weeks- but I think it's my preferred read!)
Curious Toys by Elizabeth Hand
Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
The Revisionaries by A.R. Moxon
The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North

Two other really intrigue me but I can't get them for months!:
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
Severance by Ling Ma

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments also I can get A Beginning at the End by Mike Chen now and would be down for it!

I really want to do Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal when we can! My library is saying 6 weeks from now for me lol.

Jenny | 4943 comments I read Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen (A Beginning at the End) and I really liked it.
A lot of these are new authors to me as well. I have read Elizabeth Hand before as well (Curious Toys). She is one of those authors that writes all sorts of stuff. YA fantasy, speculative fiction, Hard bitten mystery books. Not idea what this one is about.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Curious Toys looks a little creepy but not as much because the horror stuff isn't happening to the narrator like in All is Not Forgotten. I don't think I'm ready for that one. But Curious Toys looks more like a thriller/mystery

Jenny | 4943 comments Just looking at the blurbs on the back of the book. Rave reviews, and Publisher's Weekly calls it "A phantasmagoric time trip, tailor made for fans of The Devil in the White City."

That was a good book. I have not read his new one yet.

Stacey | 559 comments Have you decided on anything? I just finished my current book and was thinking of what's next.

The Erotic Stories was on my to read list, but if we can't all get it then we should wait. I like the short list a lot.

Jenny | 4943 comments It looks like Laura and Melanie can get A Beginning at the End, but like I said, what ever you all can get. Wrestling with library availability sounds like so much fun!

Stacey | 559 comments Ok, I put a request in for my library and am next in line. If it doesn't come in in time I will just buy it.

Laura | 9707 comments Unfortunately from Jenny's list I can only get one other book and it's a long wait - Severance.
Feel free to read any of the books I can't get. I'd like to catch up on She Rides Shotgun first before I start another BR and don't want to hold you all up from reading one

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Let’s shoot for a Beginning at the End if Laura Can still get it. Stacey just let us know when you it comes through. We can set the BR to start like midweek, or a week from tomorrow or something to give you guys a breather and to get the book? Does that work?

Jenny | 4943 comments It looks like that is the one we can all get soon-ish, so that sounds good.

Laura, your library needs more books!!!!! Also, we are under no urgent deadline here. Personally I enjoy the chat about what we are reading, so I don't mind waiting or changing titles to fit what's available.

And, I am a big proponent of getting others to read my favorite books. So, if you guys also have that itch, maybe we can intersperse new books with old favorites. Maybe sometime make a list of the top 5 or 10, and see if there is interest between us?

Stacey | 559 comments There is no hurry. I just started Whisper Man so I probably need a few days.

Jenny, that sounds great. I had quite a few years where I didn't read for pleasure much. There are so many good books out there that I know I missed. I also enjoy reading one of the classics too.

Jenny | 4943 comments I just read Whisper Man. I liked it a lot. Creepy!

My "Classics" aren't really classics, except in my mind, but a lot of them are books that most people haven't heard of.
I want my bookstore to open up again, so I can browse for more books that aren't on the best seller list!!!!! Whine!!!!!
At least they have been doing curb-side.

Laura | 9707 comments It must be something with Canadian Hoopla but I can only borrow 5 titles a month. - not sure why? Once June comes it will be my first choice to borrow.
I did not stand in line when there were toilet paper shortages but I might just be waiting when my library physically re opens!!! I can't wait to hold an actual book in my hands again

« previous 1