What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA fiction. Young girl (10-13 years old) writes diary entries about her life on a farm with her mom, dad, and toddler brother. She experiences jealousy, friendship, and preteen angst.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Graves | 5 comments YA fiction. Young girl (10-13 years old) makes diary entries about her life. She lives on a farm with her parents and toddler brother. She becomes friends with a girl named Marla who she was first jealous of because she is pretty, has straight teeth, and lives in a new house. In her jealousy, the protagonist sees a bucket of silver paint outside their school and decides to write Marla’s name on the school with the paint. When Marla gets called to the office, the protagonist confesses that she actually did it. The protagonist also attends an auction with her father at one point. The story ends with her leaving her diary behind in the family’s barn so someone else could find it and read it. I read this book in 2006-2007 and the cover was a brown haired girl sitting on a fence post clutching the diary (I think it was red) against her chest as she was looking off to the side.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments Did it seem like part of a series, or a standalone novel?

message 3: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Graves | 5 comments It was a stand-alone book.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments Can you remember if the cover was a photo or illustration?

message 5: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Graves | 5 comments It was an illustration!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33540 comments Mod
Marlee, what is the story's time period?

message 7: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Graves | 5 comments If I had to guess, I would say the story took place anywhere between the 1970s-1990s.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments It sounds extremely familiar, but I went through a bunch of diary fiction from that time period and don't see a cover that matches.

Did it look fairly new at the time you read it?

message 9: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Graves | 5 comments No, when I read it back in 2006-2007 it didn’t seem new. It looked like the cover art was from the 1990’s or earlier.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments Kate of Still Waters?

Holding Up the Earth?

As Long As There Are Mountains?

I've done some deep, deep diving into farm fiction and just can't seem to find a book with a cover that matches exactly.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments Ooooh, good find! I had looked everywhere, lol.

A new one to add to the Farm and Ranch Life in YA and Middle Grade Fiction list!