Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2020 - 06 - futuristic - What's on your TBR?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 625 comments Mod
description

June's Shelf is futuristic

How do you envision the future?

It's a bit hard thinking about the future in any good way at the moment, tbh.

message 2: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8674 comments Mod
Maybe it's time for me to start JD Robb's In Death series... hhmmm...

message 3: by Meg (last edited May 22, 2020 07:38PM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 790 comments I'll prioritise some in progress series
Xenocide
Messenger
Parable of the Talents

And yes, between climate change and the pandemic bringing out the worst in people, I am feeling fairly bleak about the future

message 4: by Lusie (last edited May 24, 2020 11:05AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments I'm not really optimistic about the future either.

I'm surprised I already read 14 books on the first page. I thought it was going to be hard to find books to read, but I did manage to find a several.

I yet have to check which of these I can get hold on:
Steelheart

The Knife of Never Letting Go
Dune
Renegades
Wires and Nerve
The Immortal Rules
This Savage Song
Year One
Of Beast and Beauty
The Fifth Season
Flawed
The Time Traveler's Wife

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments Can't say I'm very optimistic about the future at the moment, but I see I'm not the only one, as quite a bit of the books on the list seem to be dystopia/post-apocalyptic...

I have The Martian Chronicles at home, so I think it's time to have a go at it!

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 790 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Can't say I'm very optimistic about the future at the moment, but I see I'm not the only one, as quite a bit of the books on the list seem to be dystopia/post-apocalyptic...

I have [book:The Marti..."

I loved Martian chronicles. It is so weird reading old scifi where they think we'll all be flying ourselves to Mars by now

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4656 comments Mod
I also have read a lot of page 1, but I am looking forward to the future now. I think it will move in an exciting direction, and I want to be there.

I have started the IN DEATH series and so may read the next one - Ceremony in Death or I may finally get around to the Lunar Chronicles with Cinder

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
I've been putting off reading Cress, since I didn't enjoy the second book in the Lunar Chronicles series as much as the first. But it looks like this is the month I should tackle it if I can get it, since it's one of only three books on the first page of this shelf that I haven't read. And the second is the last one in the same series. However, I'm 10th in line for a digital copy, so that may or may not happen.

The other book on the page that I haven't read is Across the Universe, and my old library has that available digitally, so that's the one I'm more likely to read. Frankly, many of the books I enjoy reading fall on this shelf, so I'm not inclined to bother to search beyond page 1.

As for how I envision the future, I truly don't know what to think. What I hope is that we come out of this tragic situation determined to fix the inequities of our societies - inequities that have always been there, but which have been highlighted so clearly by the differential numbers of people affected by COVID-19. As too often seems to be the case, people of color and working class people are bearing the brunt of this tragedy, at least in the U.S., while others are actually profiting from it. Even once the virus is conquered, I think our future will only be a good one if we can figure out how to move towards a more just society.

Maybe some of the books on this shelf have models of how that might be done, or can at least give us hope.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to read Scarlet. I really enjoyed Cinder, (although having seen Susan's post below, I'm a bit nervous now!).

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 724 comments I'm deep into the In Death series, so I'll definitely pick up the next one of that series this month (#44 Echoes in Death).

Other possibilities include:
Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2) by Sylvain Neuvel -- really enjoyed the first in this series
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer -- I've wanted to read this for a while. I'm getting closer and closer to the top of my library's digital hold system. I'm optimistic that June will be the month my hold finally comes through!
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers -- another one I've been anxious to get to. And the Kindle version is on sale! Yes!!

message 11: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8674 comments Mod
I enjoyed Cinder & Scarlet (won't say I loved them) but Cress is my fave in the series. I just finished the series with the last being Winter at a whooping 800+ pages - Cress is the best in the series.

message 12: by Lusie (last edited May 24, 2020 06:24AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments I thought Cinder was okay and didn't start to like the series until Scarlet. I loved Cress and Winter. Both were very good.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "I enjoyed Cinder & Scarlet (won't say I loved them) but Cress is my fave in the series. I just finished the series with the last being Winter at a whooping 800+ pages - Cress is the best in the ser..."

Lusie wrote: "I though Cinder was okay and didn't start to like the series until Scarlet. I loved Cress and Winter. Both were very good."

Good to hear! I'm encouraged now.

message 14: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 468 comments I have both Witness in Death and Thunderhead on my list to read soon, so I'll probably try to get to one or both in June.

message 15: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 600 comments The Future will work itself out eventually. I've decided to be positive.

I love Futuristic books. I've read most of the books on the first two pages.

I will go back to reading the In Death series. It is so good

Strangers in Death

then in no particular order or perhaps just go to another In death book. LOL
After Glow
Awaken Me Darkly
Carve the Mark
Witch & Wizard
Head On
The Collapsing Empire
A Closed and Common Orbit
Firstlife

message 16: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 715 comments I think I'll pick one of these:

Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2) by Blake Crouch A Talent for War (Alex Benedict #1) by Jack McDevitt Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1) by Richard K. Morgan Nightfall by Isaac Asimov Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie

Though these also seem like interesting options:

Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #2) by Orson Scott Card Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1) by Isaac Asimov Foundation (Foundation, #1) by Isaac Asimov Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky Neuromancer by William Gibson The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) by Margaret Atwood Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer

These two I'd love to tackle but, with my current reads, I doubt I'd be able to finish them within the month:

The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Reid | 66 comments Oh my, so many choices! I'm going to enjoy this shelf! I will pick from these, maybe I'll do more than one book this month!

Ready Player One
Fahrenheit 451
The Handmaid's Tale (Watched series already!)

message 18: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments Beverly wrote: "Oh my, so many choices! I'm going to enjoy this shelf! I will pick from these, maybe I'll do more than one book this month!

Ready Player One
Fahrenheit 451
[book:The Ha..."

I've loved all of these books! I'm sure you'll enjoy them :)

message 19: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments I’m going to try to get to Naked in Death.

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I'm feeling some Eve Dallas coming on this month... Looks like I'm not alone. :)

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1 comments I'm going to read The Operator by Kim Harrison. I just read the most recent In Death book, so that series is out for me....

message 22: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1198 comments In Death for me for sure! I have a couple other sci-fi on my TBR but I'm not sure if they're futuristic. I'll have do some research.

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 790 comments I've never read the In Death series. They seem so popular, so I feel like I should try them! I didn't realise they were set in the future, which is intriguing. But I am not really into crime fiction or romance, so I'm guessing they are probably not for me...

message 24: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments The in Death series was not for me. I tried 2 books.

message 25: by Saylor (new)

Saylor Rains (theonlysaylor) | 35 comments I definitely don't have a lot on this shelf, and I haven't loved a lot of the ones I've already read.

I do have a book called Renegades on my tbr that I don't remember adding, so we'll see how that goes.