Adding New Books > Please add "The Chiefs of Clan MacLeod"

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angus (new)

Angus MacLeod | 2 comments * Title: The Chiefs of Clan MacLeod

* Author(s) name(s): Alick Morrison

* ISBN (or ASIN): 0 144050 0

* Publisher: Associated Clan MacLeod Societies

* Publication date: 1986 (Not stated further, but the preface is dated 17th March 1986)

* Format: Hardcover

* Description:

For more than 700 years since Leod first established his stronghold on the Isle of Skye, his descendants have been Chiefs there. Often their survival depended on the outcome of a battle or on astute political manoeuvring as the fortunes of the clan rose and fell; but by a mixture of good luck and judgement they did survive, and so have the legends and stories they inspired – the Fairy Flag which brought victory in battle, the bull’s horn worn by Chief Malcolm which gave the clan its motto “Hold Fast”, and many more.

The story of the MacLeod Chiefs is marred by brutal feuds but embellished by their patronage of Gaelic culture, in particular the great piping tradition of the MacCrimmons, revived in more recent years by Dame Flora MacLeod with the Silver Chanter Competition at Dunvegan.

In compiling the most complete genealogy of the Chiefs of Clan MacLeod, Alick Morrison has pieced together old Gaelic oral traditions as well as written records to tell their fascinating story.

* Page count: 227

* Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chiefs-Clan-...

Please note that the amazon link lists the publication as 1993, my 1986 copy has the same cover regardless.

Alternatively an image from the publishers website: https://clanmacleod.org/wp-content/up...

Please note this is my first time posting so if you need anything further let me know!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43558 comments Mod
Angus wrote: "* ISBN (or ASIN): 0 144050 0"

Valid ISBNs have either 10 or 13 digits.

And linking to just the cover on the publisher's site is a problem. Please link to the full book page instead. Looks like the closest thing in this case is https://clanmacleod.org/merchandise/b...

message 3: by Angus (last edited May 22, 2020 06:22PM) (new)

Angus MacLeod | 2 comments Hi rivka,

The book doesn't have the barcode I'm familiar with it simply states "ISBN 0 144050 0" below the publisher details, so I'm uncertain what to use as a valid replacement. Google is somewhat helpful though and I've managed to think that whilst it says ISBN it might be an ISSN, which is registered to " Key-title
Clan MacLeod magazine". Which is somewhat confusing since I can see clearly this is not a magazine, though I note the publisher does predominantly release magazines.

I've also scrolled through the ISBN listings for Alick Morrison and can't seem to find any entries for him or this book (searching the author didn't yield many results at all).

The only alternative I can think of is the ASIN: B0006F1GQQ provided on the amazon link. Would this be okay?

And I will make certain to correctly link it in future, thank you!