2020 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge discussion

What Big Books Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 199 (199 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 219 comments Mod
Use this discussion thread to post and discuss what Big Book you are reading!

message 2: by Suzan (new)

I am starting the summer with Faithful Place by Tana French, since we just finished watching Dublin Murders, based on her first 2 books (that I loved!).

message 3: by Allen (new)

Allen (goodreadscomahh416) | 16 comments Origin by Dan Brown.
I’m in the middle of Tell The Wolves I’m Home

message 4: by D.L. (new)

D.L. So glad you're doing this again!! I am definitely game to participate :)

Here are 3 I am definitely tackling:

The Host (620 pages)
The 5th Wave (457 pages)
The Murder House (451 pages)

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla | 15 comments I'm starting by listening to Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys and reading The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.

message 6: by Suzan (new)

Allen wrote: "Origin by Dan Brown.
I’m in the middle of Tell The Wolves I’m Home"

That's such a great book, Allen! Just add a post to the Sign-Up discussion, so I will remember to include you in the giveaway at the end of the summer!

message 7: by Suzan (new)

D.L. wrote: "So glad you're doing this again!! I am definitely game to participate :)

Here are 3 I am definitely tackling:

The Host (620 pages)
The 5th Wave (457 pages)
[book:Th..."

Oh, The 5th Wave is so good! That was one of my reads for a previous Big Book Summer - enjoy!

message 8: by Suzan (new)

Karla wrote: "I'm starting by listening to Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys and reading The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly."

Sounds great, Karla! I LOVED Salt to the Sea - fabulous book! I haven't read the other one yet. Enjoy!

message 9: by Davida (last edited May 23, 2020 01:22AM) (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Right now I'm reading Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce that is 400 pages, and I'm almost finished with it!

Next up is Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams - 400 pages.

I also have Fast Girls: A Novel of the 1936 Women's Olympic Team by Elise Hooper - 510 pages.

Finally I have Jackie and Maria: A Novel of Jackie Kennedy & Maria Callas by Gill Paul - 480 pages.

That's all the ARCs I have due out this summer. I might have another print book to add...

message 10: by Debbie (last edited May 23, 2020 05:36AM) (new)

Debbie | 2 comments I immediately thought of Barkskins, by Annie Prouix, 717 pages. It has been lingering on my bookshelf unread for quite some time. Then on my goodreads feed page popped up a review of the book. So Barkskins it is I think. Right now I’m reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbø.

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan | 2 comments Now that I am semi-retired, I will be reading The Prince of Tides (for book club in July) and Wolf Hall. If I get a trip to the beach scheduled I'll probably add Barkskins.

I've been in such a reading rut lately with Covid-19 and work stress and hope that with the work stress gone (laid off last week) that I'll feel more inclined to sit with a good book outside.

message 12: by Suzan (new)

Davida wrote: "Right now I'm reading Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce that is 400 pages, and I'm almost finished with it!

Next up is Her Last Flight by [autho..."

Those all sound great, Davida! You're off to a good start!

message 13: by Suzan (new)

Debbie wrote: "I immediately thought of Barkskins, by Annie Prouix, 717 pages. It has been lingering on my bookshelf unread for quite some time. Then on my goodreads feed page popped up a review of the book. So B..."

Oooh, we have The Snowman, too (my husband's read it but not me yet). I'd like to read Barkskins, too, Debbie - sounds like a great first choice!

message 14: by Suzan (new)

Joan wrote: "Now that I am semi-retired, I will be reading The Prince of Tides (for book club in July) and Wolf Hall. If I get a trip to the beach scheduled I'll probably add [book:B..."

So glad you're joining the fun, Joan!! Can you just add a brief comment to the Sign-Up thread so it's official? That's what I will use at the end of the summer for the giveaway :)

I have NEVER read Prince of Tides but always meant to - I loved the movie! I haven't read Wolf Hall yet, either, and would love to read Barkskins. You're off to a great start!

message 15: by Allen (new)

Allen (goodreadscomahh416) | 16 comments I’ll also read The book of longings

message 16: by Deb (new)

Deb | 9 comments Here are two books I plan to read toward the Big Book Challenge!

Code Name Hélène Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon by Ariel Lawhon

Imaginary Friend Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky by Stephen Chbosky

message 17: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Deb wrote: "Here are two books I plan to read toward the Big Book Challenge!

[book:Imaginary Friend|435..."

Code Name Helene is already on my "best of 2020" list so ENJOY!

message 18: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Suzan wrote: "I have NEVER read Prince of Tides but always meant to - I loved the movie!"

I read this when it came out, loved it and never wanted to see the film. Mind you, my husband tried to read the book he wrote after that, and didn't like it so we kind of dropped him from our reading lists.

message 19: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Joan wrote: "Now that I am semi-retired, I will be reading The Prince of Tides (for book club in July) and Wolf Hall."

Oh, have fun... it is really good (if I recall correctly. I read it when it came out)!

message 20: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 7 comments The 'Big Book' I am reading is "The Glass Sentence" by S. E. Grove for a book club. It has 528 pages.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Happy Reading to Everyone! 📚

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 7 comments I’m thinking of read Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon or The Knife by Jo Nesbo.

message 22: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 33 comments Karla wrote: "I'm starting by listening to Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys and reading The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly."

I adored Salt to the Sea. I think you will need a box of kleenex at hand for it.

message 23: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette I'll be reading Gone with the Wind 959 pages and A Column of Fire -
909 pages. I will probably add a third book just not sure what to choose.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments I'm super excited to dig into Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 25: by Deb (new)

Deb | 9 comments Karen wrote: "I’m thinking of read Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon or The Knife by Jo Nesbo."

Just started Code Name Helene. So good so far!!

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 29 comments I finished my first (met my goal, ha ha) I read a 400+ page ARC of Lazarus and it was so good! Not coming out until December I think. If you’re a fan of the Scandinavian detective/killer type stories, I recommend this series.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments So I started The Stand last night and got 6 Chapters in, I have to get to chapter 24 by Friday to listen to The Company of the Mad-The Stand podcast. Which will help me read this massive book that I've only read 2x in my life and am re-reading b/c of this challenge and that I wanted to pick up some of SK's work that I had read before and have forgotten about. I have the basics, but not the immense details.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenlibrarian13) | 5 comments I've just started The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham. It's really long, about 900 pages! It has about 30 short stories and my goal is to read one every day. I have a LOT of short story collections so I'm hoping to knock two or three of them off the pile this summer (in addition to my other long reads).

message 29: by Suzan (new)

Davida wrote: "Right now I'm reading Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce that is 400 pages, and I'm almost finished with it!

Next up is Her Last Flight by [autho..."

Sounds like a great line-up, Davida! Remember to add your blog post to the links list on the challenge page!

message 30: by Suzan (new)

Debbie wrote: "I immediately thought of Barkskins, by Annie Prouix, 717 pages. It has been lingering on my bookshelf unread for quite some time. Then on my goodreads feed page popped up a review of the book. So B..."

Hey, Debbie, did you see the new Barkskins TV adaptation on National Geographic channel? I haven;t seen it yet but keep seeing the ads!

message 31: by Suzan (new)

Allen wrote: "I’ll also read The book of longings"

Sounds like a good plan, Allen!

message 32: by Suzan (new)

Deb wrote: "Here are two books I plan to read toward the Big Book Challenge!

[book:Imaginary Friend|435..."

I'm hearing a LOT about Code Name Helene, Deb - sounds like a good one! And I LOVED The Perks of Being a Wallflower so would definitely like to try Chbosky's latest.

message 33: by Suzan (new)

Joan wrote: "Now that I am semi-retired, I will be reading The Prince of Tides (for book club in July) and Wolf Hall. If I get a trip to the beach scheduled I'll probably add [book:B..."

Hey, Joan, I was focused on the books and just realized you said semi-retired! Congratulations!

message 34: by Suzan (new)

Amelia wrote: "The 'Big Book' I am reading is "The Glass Sentence" by S. E. Grove for a book club. It has 528 pages.

Happy Reading to Everyone! 📚"

Sounds like a good one, Amelia! Enjoy!

message 35: by Suzan (new)

Karen wrote: "I’m thinking of read Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon or The Knife by Jo Nesbo."

Code Name Helene may just be the top Big Book of the summer! I'd like to read it, too. And my husband loves Nesbo - I need to give him a try!

message 36: by Suzan (new)

Jeanette wrote: "I'll be reading Gone with the Wind 959 pages and A Column of Fire -
909 pages. I will probably add a third book just not sure what to choose."

I read Gone with the Wind last summer, Jeanette, and absolutely loved it! Far more than I expected to. I was completely absorbed for all of those almost-1000 pages - enjoy!

message 37: by Suzan (new)

Emily wrote: "I'm super excited to dig into Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

You've started quite a trend with your announcement, Emily! Looks like a lot of people will be joining you!

message 38: by Suzan (new)

Victoria wrote: "I finished my first (met my goal, ha ha) I read a 400+ page ARC of Lazarus and it was so good! Not coming out until December I think. If you’re a fan of the Scandinavian detective/k..."

Wow, that was quick, Vicki! Maybe you'll fit in another before September...

message 39: by Suzan (new)

Susan wrote: "So I started The Stand last night and got 6 Chapters in, I have to get to chapter 24 by Friday to listen to The Company of the Mad-The Stand podcast. Which will help me read this massive book that ..."

Oh, interesting, Susan - I didn't realize you'd read it before! I think I read it twice, too (so far!). A podcast and readalong is always good motivation.

message 40: by Suzan (new)

Karen wrote: "I've just started The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham. It's really long, about 900 pages! It has about 30 short stories and my goal is to read one every day. I have a LOT of short sto..."

That's a great idea, Karen. I have several short story collections I never get to because I am usually in the mood for a novel. I should try reading the stories one at a time, too!

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie | 2 comments The Parisian by Isabella Hammad

message 42: by Karla (new)

Karla | 15 comments I'm also reading The Stand by Stephen King for #The Stand Challenge. Just read ~200 pages per month and then there will be a monthly podcast at: https://thestandpodcast.com
The 1st podcast covering Ch 1-24 is already up (posted on May 29). Great discussion. This is my first time to read The Stand

message 43: by Victoria (last edited Jun 01, 2020 08:50AM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 29 comments I’m now reading an ARC of Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell. It’s kind of embarrassing but I probably have 50 ARCs to read.

message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 29 comments Suzan wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I finished my first (met my goal, ha ha) I read a 400+ page ARC of Lazarus and it was so good! Not coming out until December I think. If you’re a fan of the Scandin..."

Don’t worry, #2 is in process!

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Suzan wrote: "Emily wrote: "I'm super excited to dig into Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

You've sta..."
Yes, I have some accountability partners!

message 46: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 29 comments Emily wrote: "Suzan wrote: "Emily wrote: "I'm super excited to dig into Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3......"

I read that via audio a few years back. I really liked it but audio took FORVER! (Only listened on my commute which wasn’t that long).

message 47: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 7 comments Suzan wrote: "Amelia wrote: "The 'Big Book' I am reading is "The Glass Sentence" by S. E. Grove for a book club. It has 528 pages.

Happy Reading ..."

Thank you! So far I'm enjoying it!

message 48: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 33 comments I've started reading The Huntress (500 pages) So far I am wowed, even as it raises my anxiety level!

message 49: by Allen (new)

Allen (goodreadscomahh416) | 16 comments Started reading origin by Dan Brown

message 50: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Cheriee wrote: "I've started reading The Huntress (500 pages) So far I am wowed, even as it raises my anxiety level!"

After reading this, Nina became one of my all-time favorite fictional characters! Enjoy!

« previous 1 3 4