2020 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge discussion

Sign-Up Here for 2020 Big Book Summer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 219 comments Mod
Welcome to Big Book Summer 2020!

Here is my sign-up post, with some of the Big Books I will be choosing from this summer:

https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2020/...

I'm ready to get started!

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla | 15 comments Thanks for hosting this again, Sue. I'm in!

message 3: by D.L. (new)

D.L. I don't have a blog but I'm definitely signing up again. What a great challenge!!

message 4: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 33 comments I will try to write a blog post, but for now, I'm excited to be here. Here's the list I'm planning on reading from.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
I've just started Cold Falling White by Gabrielle S. Prendergast. (576 pages) I'm cheating a bit since I have to read this for another group. If I really like it, I'll go and read the first in the series.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 2 comments I'm in and ready! Thanks Sue.

message 6: by Suzan (new)

Karla wrote: "Thanks for hosting this again, Sue. I'm in!"

Wonderful, Karla! Welcome to 2020 Big Book Summer!

message 7: by Suzan (new)

D.L. wrote: "I don't have a blog but I'm definitely signing up again. What a great challenge!!"

Great, D.L.! No blog needed :) You're signed up!

message 8: by Suzan (new)

Cheriee wrote: "I will try to write a blog post, but for now, I'm excited to be here. Here's the list I'm planning on reading from.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Welcome, Cheriee! I look forward to your blog post.

Aw, that's not cheating! My #BigBookSummer books all count for other challenges and often include book group reads!

message 9: by Suzan (new)

Cheriee wrote: "I will try to write a blog post, but for now, I'm excited to be here. Here's the list I'm planning on reading from.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Wow, you've got a great list of Big Books there, Cheriee!

message 10: by Suzan (new)

Robin wrote: "I'm in and ready! Thanks Sue."

Great, Robin! Glad you're joining the fun!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 7 comments Thanks Sue for hosting again! I think my first Big Book will be The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson

message 12: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Thanks Sue for hosting again! I think my first Big Book will be The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson"

Welcome back, Kate! Good choice - I've heard it's wonderful!

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments I'm in.

message 14: by Allen (new)

Allen (goodreadscomahh416) | 16 comments In!

message 15: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments I see I have a few books that are 400+ on my ARC list so... I'm in!

message 16: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 16 comments I'm in too! Thanks for hosting this Sue :)

Here's a link to my current contenders:
https://elinorsbookshelf.blogspot.com...

Advice and suggestions welcome to decide which to read - as will not be able to read all twelve!

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 2 comments I definitely have a selection of big books to choose from. This will be fun!

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 29 comments Ok, I’m in for 2020. I’m only going to set a goal of one book. I have a ton of ARC reading to catch up on, but I don’t know how long any of the books I have are. So I’m sure I’ll have more, but I’ll just say one. I don’t have a blog so I will just post on Goodreads. Thanks Sue!

message 19: by Suzan (new)

Linda wrote: "I'm in."

Wonderful Linda! So glad you're joining the fun!

Any ideas yet on which Big Books you'd like to read this summer?

message 20: by Suzan (new)

Allen wrote: "In!"

Great, Allen! Welcome back!

message 21: by Suzan (new)

Davida wrote: "I see I have a few books that are 400+ on my ARC list so... I'm in!"

Wonderful to "see" you here again, Davida! Welcome back! I also had PLENTY to choose from on my shelves!

message 22: by Suzan (new)

Elinor wrote: "I'm in too! Thanks for hosting this Sue :)

Here's a link to my current contenders:
https://elinorsbookshelf.blogspot.com...

Advice and suggestions welc..."

Welcome to Big Book Summer, Elinor! I LOVED your list of Big Book contenders - so many good ones there and ones I want to get to myself!

message 23: by Suzan (new)

Debbie wrote: "I definitely have a selection of big books to choose from. This will be fun!"

Great, Debbie! Welcome! So glad you are joining the fun! Plenty on my shelves to choose from, too :)

message 24: by Suzan (new)

Victoria wrote: "Ok, I’m in for 2020. I’m only going to set a goal of one book. I have a ton of ARC reading to catch up on, but I don’t know how long any of the books I have are. So I’m sure I’ll have more, but I’l..."

Welcome to 2020 Big Book Summer, Victoria! So glad you're joining the fun.

One is enough! I had to do similar yesterday - looking up how long my audios (huge backlog!) are on paper!

message 25: by Deb (last edited May 24, 2020 05:06AM) (new)

Deb | 9 comments I'd love to join you this summer!!

Thanks Sue!!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 3 comments I will be reading “A Time to Kill” 500 pages John Grisham; “Mr. Mercedes” 436 pages Stephen King & “Truly Madly Guilty” 430 pages Liane Moriarty ..

message 27: by Melissa (last edited May 24, 2020 12:33PM) (new)

Melissa | 1 comments You know I'm in too! As of right now, Apeirogon by Colum McCann is the only one on my list. There are other possibilities but I definitely want to get to this one.

http://melissafirman.com/2020-big-boo...

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 11 comments A summer tradition - I'm in!

https://janegs.blogspot.com/2020/05/2...

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1 comments This sounds fun Sue! Count me in. I have more than a few big books on my TBR book shelves. And without realizing it, I just started a novel that fits the 400+ page rule: Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld. Here's a list of the big books I'm going to try and read this summer.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 30: by Amelia (last edited May 24, 2020 05:57PM) (new)

Amelia | 7 comments I'm in! 😊 This is my first time doing this challenge, and I think I will have a lot of fun!
Thank you! 🤗

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I am in and it works out prefectly for I am going to re read The Stand by Stephen King.

message 32: by Joan (new)

Joan | 2 comments I'm in! Looking forward to tackling some of my longer books this summer.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen | 7 comments I’m in!

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen | 7 comments Right now I’m thinking of either Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhorn or The Knife by Jo Nesbo. Or maybe I’ll do both!!!!

message 35: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 14 comments Karen wrote: "Right now I’m thinking of either Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhorn or The Knife by Jo Nesbo. Or maybe I’ll do both!!!!"

Code Name Helene is MARVELOUS! 5/5 stars from me!

message 36: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette I will be joining in.

message 37: by Pam (new)

Pam | 4 comments I'm in! I just started Outlander - 850 pages!

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison (eclecticali) | 1 comments Looking forward to this!! Still trying to decide which book to read, I just put a few options out on my blog and am waiting for others to weigh in to help me decide!

message 39: by Suzan (new)

Deb wrote: "I'd love to join you this summer!!

Thanks Sue!!"

Welcome, Deb!! Glad to hear you're joining the fun!

message 40: by Suzan (new)

Karen wrote: "I will be reading “A Time to Kill” 500 pages John Grisham; “Mr. Mercedes” 436 pages Stephen King & “Truly Madly Guilty” 430 pages Liane Moriarty .."

Welcome to Big Book Summer, Karen! A Time to Kill is an amazing novel - still one of his best, after all these years (and all those books).

Mr. Mercedes and Truly Madly Guilty are both on my Big Book Summer list, too! We'll have to compare notes.

Enjoy your Big Books! Be sure to stop by the other discussion threads (Big Books Being Read and Completed) with updates!

Sue

message 41: by Suzan (new)

Melissa wrote: "You know I'm in too! As of right now, Apeirogon by Colum McCann is the only one on my list. There are other possibilities but I definitely want to get to this one.

http://melissafirman.com/2020-b..."

Welcome to Big Book Summer again, Melissa! I enjoyed your blog post, and you've picked a good one!

message 42: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "A summer tradition - I'm in!

https://janegs.blogspot.com/2020/05/2..."

Wonderful, Jane! Welcome back :)

Now, you just need to drop your blog sign-up post link on the Challenge page to make it official!

https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/202...

message 43: by Suzan (new)

Robin wrote: "This sounds fun Sue! Count me in. I have more than a few big books on my TBR book shelves. And without realizing it, I just started a novel that fits the 400+ page rule: Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld..."

Welcome to Big Book Summer, Robin! Glad you're joining the fun! Looks like you're off to a great start and have a nice stack to choose from this summer.

message 44: by Suzan (new)

Amelia wrote: "I'm in! 😊 This is my first time doing this challenge, and I think I will have a lot of fun!
Thank you! 🤗"

Welcome, Amelia, to your FIRST Big Book Summer Challenge! So glad you decided to join us! I look forward to seeing what you choose to read this summer.

message 45: by Suzan (new)

Susan wrote: "I am in and it works out prefectly for I am going to re read The Stand by Stephen King."

Welcome to Big Book Summer Challenge, Susan. The Stand is pretty much the perfect Big Book Summer book! It's an amazing novel (perhaps a bit extra-scary right now!) - hope you enjoy it!

message 46: by Suzan (new)

Joan wrote: "I'm in! Looking forward to tackling some of my longer books this summer."

Yay, so glad you are joining the fun this summer, Joan!!

Can't wait to see what Big Books you read this summer.

message 47: by Suzan (new)

Karen wrote: "Right now I’m thinking of either Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhorn or The Knife by Jo Nesbo. Or maybe I’ll do both!!!!"

Welcome to Big Book Summer Challenge, Karen! Ooh, those both sound like great choices! My husband loves Nesbo (I still need to try him), and I want to read the Lawhorn novel, too. You might have to read both!

message 48: by Suzan (new)

Brittanie wrote: "I would like to participate. No blog anymore so I will post here too. I hope to finally tackle Middlemarch, Portrait of a lady or Swanns way."

Welcome to Big Book Summer Challenge, Brittanie! Oooh, doing a Big Book Classic this summer, huh? I;'m hoping to include 1 or 2 classics, also.

I highly recommend Middlemarch. It IS a chunkster, but I ended up loving it. It's surprisingly witty and relevant today.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

message 49: by Suzan (new)

Jeanette wrote: "I will be joining in."

Welcome to Big Book Summer, Jeanette! Glad you're joining the fun!

message 50: by Suzan (new)

Pam wrote: "I'm in! I just started Outlander - 850 pages!"

Welcome to Big Book Summer again, Pam!! You'll love Outlander - enjoy!

« previous 1