#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #3)
This topic is about The Moving Finger
Buddy Reads > June Agatha Christie: The Moving Finger ( with spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by library girl reading (last edited May 30, 2020 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I'm excited to read a Miss Marple book, it's been away and she was always my favorite detective from Agatha. For this one we are going to do the discussion a bit different. Since we tend to get so wrapped up into it and wanting to know who did it. We will just 1 discussion for this book. It is 15 chapters and 299 pages.

So our June discussion date for The Moving Finger will be June 26th.

Also for those who would like to put July's book on hold at your library or buy it ahead of time since delivery and holds are taking longer now the July Agatha book is one I'm really looking forward to: Peril at End House

message 2: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Sounds great!

Erika | 79 comments I haven't read a Miss Marple book in a while, so I'm looking forward to June's read!!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Okay so June is almost here and I changed the discussion date to June 26th. But since we are just doing a relaxed open discussion feel free to type up your thoughts and observations at any time during the month.

Happy Reading....

message 5: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Okay, great! Will do:)

Erika | 79 comments I started it slightly early (on Thursday. Which reminds me that I have to update my reading status), and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Looks like we are returning to the English village setting, and the many nosy neighbors...

message 7: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Erika Yes, it does look that way! I started reading this book today.

message 8: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia V i c k s wrote: "What a coincidence I started reading it a few minutes ago XD"

Wow, that's great!

Erika | 79 comments So I, surprisingly, sped through this one. Can't wait to discuss!! (as a side note, is anyone liking Jerry and Joanna as much as me? I love them!)

message 10: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Erika Wow! You're fast! Yes, I adore Jerry and Joanna! Jerry has a sort of dry/wry sense of humor that is fun :) And I love how they love Megan, too, and look out for her and include her. I hope Megan isn't involved in any of the problems, though. I'm not even halfway into the book yet so I have no clue.

Erika | 79 comments @Gia I have no idea how I managed to read it so fast haha. I'm glad you like Jerry and Joanna as well! Some comments made by them here and there really made me laugh. And I agree, I found it quite sweet that they want to look out for Megan

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I'm starting it Monday. If everyone is finished by the first discussion I guess it can be a whole book discussion. :)

message 13: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Shannon wrote: "I'm starting it Monday. If everyone is finished by the first discussion I guess it can be a whole book discussion. :)"

Not to worry because I'm not even close to finishing yet, lol!

message 14: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Erika wrote: "@Gia I have no idea how I managed to read it so fast haha. I'm glad you like Jerry and Joanna as well! Some comments made by them here and there really made me laugh. And I agree, I found it quite ..."

I can tell you really loved the book! :) I read Crooked House in a flash at the beginning of the month last month because I couldn't put it down. Yes, Joanna and Jerry are really great!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I'm starting it Monday. If everyone is finished by the first discussion I guess it can be a whole book discussion. :)"

Not to worry because I'm not even close to finishing yet, lol!"

Good , I felt like I feel behind in the group. :)

message 16: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Shannon wrote: "Gia wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I'm starting it Monday. If everyone is finished by the first discussion I guess it can be a whole book discussion. :)"

Not to worry because I'm not even close to finish..."

Nope, not one bit! It's all good!

message 17: by Le (new) - rated it 3 stars

Le Jay (lejayjones) | 5 comments im over halfway, liking it so far, can't wait to solve the mystery these wretched letters!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Le wrote: "im over halfway, liking it so far, can't wait to solve the mystery these wretched letters!"

Same here I really love when Christie books take place in the English Countryside. I think they always end up being my favorites.

Janice | 193 comments Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie books at one of the Little Free Library in my town. :) The versions I have are quite old. :) I may not say a lot in the discussions, but I like joining in the reads and reading everyone's comments. :)

message 20: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Janice wrote: "Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie books at one o..."

Hi Janice! We'd love it if you join us! You've come to the right place; we all love Agatha Christie here. Glad you are enjoying her books! :)

Cool! I love the old books, so authentic!

Feel free to take in the discussions in your favorite way:) We are laid-back and easy going here.

Welcome to the group!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Janice wrote: "Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie books at one o..."

Hi Janice! Welcome to the Agatha Christie reading group. We are a fun bunch of readers who love sharing our thoughts on the books we've read. Like Gia said it's very laid back and we'd love for you to join in when ever you feel like it.

I wish we had a free library in our neighborhood. Well we have one but it's just for books that lady didn't want and she doesn't allow anyone to put in books in exchange. So I say we have no free library. I wonder if our town would do one on main street?? That would be so cute!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) How's everyone liking The Moving Finger so far? I was wrapping up Five Little Pigs by Christie and now I'm finishing up Moving Finger.

I've been so bad at longing my reading progress and books lately. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this??

I even have the Bookly app to log books and I forget there. I usually get so wrapped up in my books I just read. So July's goal is to log my reading progress everytime I put down the book.

message 23: by Gia (last edited Jun 20, 2020 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia I loved The Moving Finger! I finished reading it a week or so ago. I really enjoyed the main characters, Joanna and Jerry. The ending was a big surprise for me and I never guessed the guilty party.

Also, I'm discovering I really like it when the story is told from a first-person account, in this case, Jerry, who has a sort of dry/wry sense of humor that I found both fun and funny. It was great how Jerry and Joanna took care of Megan, who was sadly always being overlooked and forgotten about.

I was surprised that it was such a long way into the book before Miss Marple appeared. When she finally appeared I was surprised again because by then I had kind of forgotten it was a Miss Marple book, lol! I really like Miss Marple. I didn't have much time with her, though, so I feel like I didn't get to know her very well.
Haha! I'm sure you're not the only one forgetting to log:) It's great you're getting so wrapped up in your books, that's just awesome! Just simply reading books is the way we used to do it back in the olden days, lol! Great July goal!

The thing that's happening with me is that I'm reading so many books each month now that I'll finish one early - but then that book's discussion won't be until later on after I've read a great many other books after it - then all the many things I've read run together in my mind :/ So, my goal in July will be to start keeping a journal as I read and jot down my thoughts for the book discussions:)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "I loved The Moving Finger! I finished reading it a week or so ago. I really enjoyed the main characters, Joanna and Jerry. The ending was a big surprise for me and I never guessed the guilty party...."

Sometimes I think those were the good old days as well. We just read and there was no goal or challenge or anything to be meet just reading to read. Next year I'm not doing a goal I'm thinking, but that could change.

Erika | 79 comments Janice wrote: "Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie books at one o..."
Hi Janice, welcome!
@Shannon, no you're definitely not the only one. I go through phases where I completely forget to log any progress I make with my books.
@Gia I've been wanting to start a book journal so that I can immediately jot down any thoughts that I have as I'm going through (I know some people annotate their books, but I am so hesitant to mark up my books even if they're used!).
And yes, I was also very surprised that it took that long for Miss Marple to show up in the book. At first I thought that I had picked up the wrong book for this month!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I'd love to do a book journal as well! Anyone have any ideas on where to start??

message 27: by Gia (last edited Jun 20, 2020 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Erika Lol! Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who kept waiting and hoping for Miss Marple to appear! I have no trouble writing in pencil in any of my books but lately the books for this group have been e-books so I can't exactly write in that, haha! So a journal for me is a must moving forward:)

@Shannon Good that you're able to be flexible with your goals; I'm that way too! I can change my plans on a dime! I'm thinking my journal is just going to be a simple college-ruled spiral notebook, lol! I love to write by hand. Give me that pen and paper, lol! I love the computer but I still enjoy being a bit old-fashioned! :)

Erika | 79 comments @Gia @Shannon yes, I'm thinking something simple to start with (like a pocket journal). I've tried looking up ideas for a reading/book journal but it seems to always be part of a larger bullet journal. While I really like looking at bullet journals, I honestly don't have the time (and probably the creativity) to make something that fancy... But if anyone comes across a more format-based guide on setting up a reading journal, I'd love to check it out! It would be really nice to incorporate prompts or something to encourage more thoughtful analysis of certain books.

Janice | 193 comments Gia wrote: "Janice wrote: "Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie..."

Thank you so much for the welcome :)

Janice | 193 comments Shannon wrote: "Janice wrote: "Hi, my name is Janice :) I just started reading Agatha Christie books last year and love them. I haven't read that many yet. May I join this group? I just picked up 5 Agatha Christie..."

Thanks for the warm welcome :) We actually have 2 Little Free Libraries in our town and one of them is made to look like a London phone booth and it has track lighting inside. I'm thinking of making one once all this Covid is gone and I get approval. :)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Okay it's time to discuss The Moving Finger.

So much happens in this book where to begin! First off how did you like it compared to other Christie novels we've read or you've read in the past?

Did you like the tidy little ending?

Do you like Miss Marple or Poirot better? Or do you like them both?

July Christie book: Peril at End House

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) This was not my favorite Miss Marple book so far it's still the book we will be reading in September. I enjoyed it but not a favorite.

I've read several of Chrisities books that had happy tidy endings and it's so different from other books that sometimes I feel a little let down. Overall I'm good with this tidy happy for some ending.

I'm still a Miss Marple fan over Piorot but he is getting better for me. I think the stand alones though are my favorites.

I can't wait to read Peril at End House it's been on my tbr for a long time.

message 33: by Gia (last edited Jun 27, 2020 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia I really enjoyed this book! I liked the narrator Jerry and his wry/dry sort of sense of humor and his sister Joanna and how they took Megan in under their wings. The story meandered along in an easygoing way and so I never got caught up in trying to figure out who was behind it all (although I hoped like crazy it wasn't Megan!) I just enjoyed the flow of the story. And, I did like the tidy happy ending. Compared to Christie's other books this may be one of the more relaxing ones because of the pace, the setting, the small town, the narrator, etc.

I like both Miss Marple and M. Poirot. Miss Marple, however, appeared so late in the book that I feel I really didn't get to know her very well. Guess I need to read another Marple book, lol!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! I liked the narrator Jerry and his wry/dry sort of sense of humor and his sister Joanna and how they took Megan in under their wings. The story meandered along in an eas..."

She is in September's book a lot so you'll get a good feel for her. She is also in our August book pick so you'll get a double dose of her.

Erika | 79 comments Ugh, I'm late to the discussion!
1. Well I think it's obvious by now that this is one of my favorite Christie mysteries now. I loved the main characters and I loved the mystery itself. @Gia I completely agree that this story was nice and easygoing. It was so easy to sit back and enjoy it. Plus the characters managed to make me laugh a few times, which is always a plus.
2. I actually did like the tidy ending. Usually I'm not a fan of somewhat unrealistic, tidy endings (especially in other genres of books that I read) but I didn't mind it one bit in this book.
3. I've always liked Poirot better, but that may be because I've read more of his stories compared to Miss Marple. So I might not have been exposed enough to make a well informed decision...
@Shannon I'm also looking forward to Peril at End House! It will be a reread for me, but it's been many, many years so I can't even remember the details of the story.

message 36: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Shannon That's great! Looking forward to reading more Miss Marple soon!

@Erika No worries, it's never too late for the discussion :) I enjoyed reading your comments. I've ordered my Peril at End House from the library but it's checked out to someone right now, so just waiting for now. Looking forward to reading it!

#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peril at End House (other topics)