Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Pick Me A Winner: June 2020

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7247 comments Duration: June 1- 30

Partners will be picked on the same day!

Guidelines for this challenge:
* Create a "shelf" for your partner to choose from before the challenge begins
* You choose 3 books from your partners shelf for your partner to read
* Your partner picks three from your shelf for you to read
*After you read your book come back and post to let your partner know when you are done and what you thought of the book (no pressure, it can be just one sentence)

**** The challenge is to read one book from your shelf that your partner chose. You do not have to read all three! (It's just to give a choice) ****

Please sign up below and post a link to your shelf for your partner to choose from!

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jun 01, 2020 05:31PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7247 comments Participants:

HeatherH
Cynthia
Carrie
Leah
Elizabeth
Sarah
Michelle
Tiffany
Katelin (Dollis Marry~)
Jessica
Dita
Taylor

message 3: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jun 01, 2020 05:36PM) (new)

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments I'm in

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... (re-reads are fine)

message 16: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7247 comments Partners have been picked! See post #3.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 198 comments My partner is Dita and I am choosing:

Circe by Madeline Miller because it was a 4 star read for me. I thought it was really well written with an interesting premise.

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo because I gave it 5 stars for being a fun, engaging read.

Furthermore (Furthermore, #1) by Tahereh Mafi because the cover is cool. This was another 4 star read for me and I found it reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland.

Hope you find one you like!

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 29 comments Tiffany is my partner! And for her I pick
Mother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff
This is a book I'm excited to read and would love to hear your opinion on if you read it!
The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa
It's the oldest book on your list!
I Killed Zoe Spanos by Kit Frick
the name caught my eye! Sounds like something i'd read XD

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1655 comments My Partner is Jessica:

Can I Touch Your Hair? Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship by Irene Latham Rules of Civility by Amor Towles Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh

Enjoy!

message 20: by Taylor (last edited Jun 01, 2020 06:04PM) (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 4 comments Carrie is my partner and the three books I pick for her are:
The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1) by Nick Martell The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Veronica Roth

message 21: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 157 comments For Leah:
Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21) by Laura Childs .. because it's been on your to-read shelf the longest

An Amish Picnic Four Stories by Amy Clipston .. because it has the highest rating on your to-read (that is not part of a series or not out yet)

Skink--No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen .. because the cover is cool

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | -1 comments My partner is Cynthia & I pick...
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6047 comments My partner is Elizabeth and for her I pick:

1. Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid ... because I just finished it and thought it was really good.

2. The Shining by Stephen King ... because I think it's one of Stephen King's best works.

3. The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray ... because it's been on your list the longest

message 24: by Dita (new)

Dita | 50 comments My partner is Sarah and I pick:

Persuasion by Jane Austen - because I have heard good things about it;

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel - because I like the cover;

The Pox Party (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #1) by M.T. Anderson - because it has been on your list the longest.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 556 comments My partner is Michelle, and for you I pick:
The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6) by Darren Shan Dying to Live (Dying to Live, #1) by Kim Paffenroth How to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch, #1) by Adriana Mather

Hope there's a winner!!

I'm going to order mine from the library & I'll let you know. Thanks!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1655 comments Jessica wrote: "My partner is Michelle, and for you I pick:
The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6) by Darren ShanDying to Live (Dying to Live, #1) by Kim PaffenrothHow to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch, #1) by Adriana Mather

Hope there's a winner!!

I'm going to orde..."

Thanks!

message 27: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Oiney_Reads_Another (oiney_reads_another) | 121 comments Katelin (Dollis Marry~) wrote: ":) Let's Go~
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

So sorry for the late response Katelin!!
I choose for you:

The Institute by Stephen King because I read it and really enjoyed it

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson because it's on my TBR as well

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han because it's been on your list the longest

Hope there is a winner in there somewhere for you!!

message 28: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2664 comments My partner is HeatherH:
My First Five Husbands... And the Ones Who Got Away by Rue McClanahan The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black The Princess Bride by William Goldman

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Taylor wrote: "Carrie is my partner and the three books I pick for her are:
The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1) by Nick Martell The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Veronica Roth"

Thank you so much, I'll get your's up now in a few minutes.

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments My partner is Taylor:
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Bitten (Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

Happy Reading

message 31: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 4 comments Hello! I chose to read The Night Circus and it was amazing! Probably my new favorite book of all time. Thank you for the picks <3

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Taylor wrote: "Hello! I chose to read The Night Circus and it was amazing! Probably my new favorite book of all time. Thank you for the picks <3"

I am so happy you enjoyed it. :)

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 29 comments I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han
Loved it so much more then i was expecting to! Gave it 5 stars.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1655 comments Completion Post - Book 1

The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6) by Darren Shan

Book - The Vampire Prince
Author - Darren Shan
Date - 6/16/20
Rating - 4 Stars

This is by far my favorite book in this series. For a YA book, this one hits you right in the emotions.

message 35: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 157 comments I got through two from my picks - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black and The Princess Bride by William Goldman . Enjoyed both but Coldest Girl was definitely my fave of the two!

message 36: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2664 comments I read Skink—No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen and gave it 3 stars.

message 37: by Leah (last edited Jun 27, 2020 03:44PM) (new)

Leah | 2664 comments HeatherH wrote: "I got through two from my picks - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black and The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Enjoyed both but Coldest Girl was definitely my fave of the two!"

I'm glad you liked them.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6047 comments I don't think this was my month lol. I really wanted to read all three picks but only got around to The Female of the Species. I'm halfway through the book now and I love it. I'll update with my final review later but I just wanted to give an update before June ends :)

message 39: by Sarah (last edited Jul 01, 2020 10:07AM) (new)

Sarah | 198 comments I finished The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel . While it wasn't as compelling as Station Eleven was I still love her writing style. 3.5 overall.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | -1 comments I read half way through The Shining. Will definitely continue through July. Must say it is fantastic just didn't have much time this month.

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 556 comments I finished Rules of Civility by Amor Towles and Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh and gave both 3 stars. Thanks for the picks!

message 42: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6047 comments I finished The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis last night. Ugly cried and then rated it 5 stars.