Play Book Tag discussion

Know My Name
This topic is about Know My Name
Archive: Other Books > Know My Name: A Memoir, by Chanel Miller- 5 Stars, hearts, this book should be required reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments 5 Stars- this is one of those books that I feel should be required reading for EVERYONE. We've all heard of the Brock Turner case- you know the one where a freshman at Stanford sexually assaulted a woman, it went to trial, and he got a 6 month sentence, which ended up being 3 months in jail. The article about the case went viral when it cited his SWIMMING TIMES in it. This is the memoir of this case's victim. She went viral as 'Emily Doe' when her poignant Victim Impact Statement in response to the case. Now, she is reclaiming her story- and doing it with her own name- Chanel Miller.

This is more than a memoir- it's a look into the American justice system- it's a reflection of rape culture, microaggressions, the differences between being a man and a women. The subjects of socioeconomic class, race, gender, everything are all brought up with the context of this case. We learn how victims are re victimized, torn down by what is around them and "the system". I have nothing by utmost respect for what she has been through, and her stance to make her voice heard.

This was so emotional. I literally cried multiple times. I got SO ANGRY while driving and doing the audio, I didn't realize I had sped to 15 mph over the limit. I was so frustrated by what she was going through, how everything effected both her but also her family and surrounding peoples. Honestly, the writing was perfect. It was so descriptive, and she has such a way of putting into words what may seem impossible- like feelings and emotions, and the nuance of the situation. It wasn't perfect, but that made it so much more REAL. It also puts politics, and other cases into context, and how these other cases (Nasser, Crosby, ect) outcomes unfurled the way they did.

Audiobook note: This was read by the author and DAMN did it made it impactful. You can hear in her voice where parts are harder to get through. You can sense her frustration when speaking about certain things. She does read a bit slowly, I listened on 1.15x speed, and it was perfect. The end has her reading her Victim Impact Statement, and I really wish this was required listening for everyone from middle schoolers through old people.

message 2: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 7401 comments I am STILL so angry about that case and the judge who handed down that sentence, talking about how that young man had already paid a sufficient price if I recall - I swear I was literally breathing fire at that.

God bless Chanel Miller for putting her story out there under her name. I am buying that book, not just adding it to my TBR. Might be awhile before I read it ... but at least I've shown my support by owning it.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments It is rare that I want to read a memoir, but this one is on my list. Thanks for your great review Joi. You’ve made me excited to read it.

message 4: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Adding to my list. I don't remember this case. Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town and Beartown are great books about this topic. Missoula was a "world view" changing book for me.

message 5: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I have seen the cover of this book all over the place, but I did not realize that it was a memoir of her assault by—and subsequent trial of—Brock Turner.

message 6: by Joi (last edited May 26, 2020 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Theresa wrote: "I am STILL so angry about that case and the judge who handed down that sentence, talking about how that young man had already paid a sufficient price if I recall - I swear I was literally breathing..."

It talks about the judge the book- the judge who oversaw this case has been recalled in the state of California.

I'm also planning on purchasing this book in support, despite reading it via library.

@Jason, Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town has also been on my TBR for ages. Too many books, not enough time.