YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

GROUP BUDDY READ > Caraval (Caraval #1) by Stephanie Garber - GBR - Starting June 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22775 comments Mod

Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic.

Caraval (Caraval #1) by Stephanie Garber will be our 1st GBR for June 2020.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

message 4: by Janine (new)

Janine | 310 comments I hope to get to this one during June, and then reading the other two books in a binge!

1. I don't really have too many thoughts, but my expectations are high, as most of my reading friends have said good to great things about this book, I think I've only seen two people that I'm friends with on Goodreads say it wasn't at least good. Sounds like a circus fantasy with a heavy romance (which is my biggest concern, I'm not really into romance).

2. Sounds like a circus book, I've read Calico Thunder Rides Again, and right now reading A Spectacle of Souls, which seems to have a similar premise, and loved it's prequel. So I think I'll be expecting a 4-5 star read from this one.

3. Nope, haven't read anything from her before. This is her first published novel if I'm not mistaken.

message 5: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 4 comments 1. Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

I'm going in to this one blind, I haven't even read the summary.

2. Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

I will let you know after I read it. hehe

3. Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

that would be a no for me.

message 6: by Deidra (new)

Deidra  (deidram) | 300 comments First thoughts in the first couple of chapters: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Deidra (new)

Deidra  (deidram) | 300 comments About 30%: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Deidra (new)

Deidra  (deidram) | 300 comments About 50%: (view spoiler)

message 9: by Deidra (new)

Deidra  (deidram) | 300 comments Finished: (view spoiler)