Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Man's Search for Meaning
This topic is about Man's Search for Meaning
2020 Group reads MH Nonfiction > June nonfiction- PTSD: Man's Search for Meaning

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
In June our nonfiction group read is Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl. You chose this via poll (results here).

Description:
Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward with renewed purpose. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living.

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

message 2: by Hans (new)

Hans (hansreihling) | 1 comments "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." This is my favorite quote from Victor Frankl, I tell my clients all the time.

message 3: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
Thank you for sharing that! I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Elie E | 2 comments i am 25 pages in and cant put it down. I am very excited to finish this book.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
Hans wrote: ""Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." This is my favorite quote from Victor Frankl, ..."

Interesting! Mahalo for sharing!

Blessing/Blessed Be
RM
💀🦋🇺🇸🐼

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
Elie wrote: "i am 25 pages in and cant put it down. I am very excited to finish this book."

Awesome! Mahalo for sharing! What is drawing you to it exactly if I may ask? No need to share if your not comfy with that.

Never stop laughing,
RM
💀🦋🐼🇺🇸

Aloha All,

How are others liking it? All views are welcome. Amy questions, please share.

Mahalo,
RM
🦋💀🐼🇺🇸

Elie E | 2 comments RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Elie wrote: "i am 25 pages in and cant put it down. I am very excited to finish this book."

Awesome! Mahalo for sharing! What is drawing you to it exactly if I may ask? No need to share if your no..."

His detailed writing of his experience really puts everything into perspective. Yes, we know that the holocaust and the camps were awful, but this tells the story of feeling dehumanized, feeling helpless, and stripped of everything you have ( literally and figuratively). It's so hard to understand how he was able to find meaning in that situation. I'm connecting so much because this story is very inspirational and it makes me reflect on the times that is happening to our society now. What a great read.

message 9: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
Elie wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Elie wrote: "i am 25 pages in and cant put it down. I am very excited to finish this book."

Awesome! Mahalo for sharing! What is drawing you to it exactly if I may ask?..."

I will definitely prioritize this book now :D

Elie wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Elie wrote: "i am 25 pages in and cant put it down. I am very excited to finish this book."

Awesome! Mahalo for sharing! What is drawing you to it exactly if I may ask?..."

Wow! Very deep. There are many interested points you made. Mahalo! Have you finish the book yet? Not trying to be rude.

Be well,
RM

Aloha Folks,

What are others folks thoughts on this book, please? Any questions about the topics of the book?

Mahalo,
RM

Brittany | 11 comments I’m still reading it. I tend to read a lot of books at once and this one is due back in 6 days so should have it done soon. Will chime in soon

Brittany | 11 comments I thought it was pretty good and well written for its time. I wish he would have expanded more on his theory of everyone searching for meaning in their life and got more theoretical. I find heavy theoretical books to be very enjoyable but not everyone does. It’s a great book to scratch an itch on more looking into what this “Search for meaning” could mean for other people and what they’re doing about it. I would be interested to hear his thoughts on life if he were still alive today, knowing what we know now about human psychology. I do very much agree that we need to imagine what we’d feel if we were 80 years old, on our death bed. It really makes you think about what’s important. As I read in another book recently, people are afraid of death because they’re afraid of what it will take away from you: a life not lived, experiences not had. But we should look at death as something it can give us: to make the present count and live life as if we are dying.

Brittany wrote: "I thought it was pretty good and well written for its time. I wish he would have expanded more on his theory of everyone searching for meaning in their life and got more theoretical. I find heavy t..."

Wow Brittany, that is beyond deep. Mahalo for your informative review and your time! Do you find it to explain PTSD well? I am not trying to get into your personal business. Just in what you know about PTSD. What was the title of the book about death that you mention at the end, please? If you do not want to answer these questions. that is fine. No pressure.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🦋💀🐼

Brittany wrote: "I’m still reading it. I tend to read a lot of books at once and this one is due back in 6 days so should have it done soon. Will chime in soon"

May I ask, what is the reason you choose to read that many at once?

Mahalo,
RM
🦋🇺🇸💀🐼

Aloha All,

This is open for the rest of the year if you cannot do finish by tomorrow.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🦋🐼💀

Brittany | 11 comments The author briefly touched on how the prisoners in the concentration camps reactions changed over time as a way to cope, and how they had to readjust once they were free, but never talked about PTSD. I felt the book talked more about the spiritual journey of the prisoners.

The book I mentioned is called: The Untethered Soul. It was very good, if you like books on consciousness, etc.

I read lots of books at once because it depends on my mood from day to day and sometimes it just takes time to process what I’ve read to continue the book.

Brittany wrote: "The author briefly touched on how the prisoners in the concentration camps reactions changed over time as a way to cope, and how they had to readjust once they were free, but never talked about PTS..."

Ah, okay. Mahalo for the informative information and book! I truly mean that. I wish it had talk about it. I will skip this book. Be well.

message 19: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di | 331 comments Mod
This book took me a long time to read even though it such a small book. I guess part of it was definitely the start of the summer and needing more happy vibes and not ... Auschwitz.
That being said. I really liked the memoir part. Very succinct and insightful. I will also try to use more of the paradoxical intention mentioned in the second part.
However, the logotherapy part didn't offer me much, maybe because I have a meaning to my life and I haven't really ever struggled with finding it. I did give this book to a friend who is struggling with finding meaning, so let's hope it helps her. I also had trouble with the writing style of the second half, it was more suitable for scientific journal rather than science book for the masses. I have no trouble reading sciency things, however they tend to be a slog and don't flow well. I also am not that knowledgeable about psychology history and different theories so some of the references went way above my head.

absolutely amazing closing lines :
"So, let us be alert—alert in a twofold sense:
Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of.
And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake."

Di wrote: "This book took me a long time to read even though it such a small book. I guess part of it was definitely the start of the summer and needing more happy vibes and not ... Auschwitz.
That being said..."

Hmm. Tis deep. Mahalo! Hope you and your family are well. Hugsie🤗🇺🇸💐🐼

message 21: by Osak (new)

Osak Casy | 1 comments Good sharing with us

Osak wrote: "Good sharing with us"

Aloha,

If I may ask, did you get a change to read this book? This is open no matter the year. Mahalo for commenting!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Man's Search for Meaning (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Viktor E. Frankl (other topics)