Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
2020 Group reads MH Fiction > June fiction- PTSD: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
In June our fiction group read is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. You chose this via poll (results here).

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

A Reese Witherspoon Book Club Pick

Description:

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: she struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding unnecessary human contact, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen, the three rescue one another from the lives of isolation that they had been living. Ultimately, it is Raymond’s big heart that will help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one. If she does, she'll learn that she, too, is capable of finding friendship—and even love—after all.

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

Ariane Signer | 2 comments I LOVED this book!!! Great choice for the monthly read.

message 3: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
I love this book also :D Books rarely make me laugh, but this one tickled my funny bone just right :)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
I am curious about this book. I do have PTSD. I will try it and see.

Mahalo,
RM
🐼🦋💀🇺🇸

Maria Broden | 1 comments I just love this, beautiful and painful!

message 6: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments I've had this on my to-read pile forever-- glad a bookclub is doing it so I have an excuse to push it to the top!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 541 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "I just love this, beautiful and painful!"

Awesome to hear! May I ask why, please? You do not have to answer.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🦋🐼💀

Kim wrote: "I've had this on my to-read pile forever-- glad a bookclub is doing it so I have an excuse to push it to the top!"

Awesome! Mahalo! Di is the reason this book happen. She does all the polls and all the work herself. I believe in giving credit when it is due. Did you have a change to start, please?

Aloha All,

How are folks doing with this book, please?

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🦋🐼👻

message 10: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments This month has been really hectic and I haven't started it yet.

However, my building was struck by lightning a few days ago and we have no HVAC or Internet (so I can't work) and due to COVID I can't just go to a coffee shop... planning on reading this today (I might be able to finish, lol).

message 11: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "This month has been really hectic and I haven't started it yet.

However, my building was struck by lightning a few days ago and we have no HVAC or Internet (so I can't work) and due to COVID I ca..."

Yeah, im also behind on reading.. chasing my small toddler around house endlessly... :D also decided to join local DnD so reading time is even less.. :D whoops

message 12: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments Di wrote: "Kim wrote: "This month has been really hectic and I haven't started it yet.

However, my building was struck by lightning a few days ago and we have no HVAC or Internet (so I can't work) and due t..."

I feel like whatever we each need to do (including what I'm assuming is a cutie toddler running around the house) to get through things sanely is ok!

Also... lol I'm a forensic psychologist so to me DnD means the Canadian Dept of National Defence-- making a guess that's not what you joined? lol

message 13: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Di wrote: "Kim wrote: "This month has been really hectic and I haven't started it yet.

However, my building was struck by lightning a few days ago and we have no HVAC or Internet (so I can't work..."

OMG, the words forensic psychologist totally make me wanna hang out with you xD
but yeah, i meant Dungeons & Dragons :D we play online when quarantine but prefer meeting up

Kim wrote: "This month has been really hectic and I haven't started it yet.

However, my building was struck by lightning a few days ago and we have no HVAC or Internet (so I can't work) and due to COVID I ca..."

Sorry to hear that. I know that I am behind again. I hope things are best as they can be now.