What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > In my teens, I read an old children's book (not a picture book) about a girl whose mother had fallen ill and she started knitting or sewing babies clothes to help raise money for her mother's medical bills.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by August (new)

August (ausynn) | 2 comments FROM THE TOPIC LINE: In my teens, I read an old children's book (not a picture book) about a girl whose mother had fallen ill and she started knitting or sewing babies clothes to help raise money for her mother's medical bills. CONTINUED: It seemed like a book from the 70s or something. Hardcover. It unfortunately burnt in a fire at our property in the 2000s and I don't remember the title. It was set in the early half of the 1900s, I think, and the girl may or may not have been named Vicky. SPOILERS: She started getting trouble with her eyes because she spent so long concentrating on the small details of her handiwork in low light. At first, she wasn't very good at making the baby things, but she soon got better at making them. MORE: I think she also has younger siblings and I think they lived in England or the UK. I read the book in the 2000s, maybe 2005 or earlier. When I say hardcover, I mean those heavy covers children's books that were writing and not picture books used to have, more or less the same size as young adult fiction books nowadays dimensions wise.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 22, 2020 07:27AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2069 comments A long shot: Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. It's set (and written) in the U.S. in the 1880's, but Polly does do sewing and starts losing her sight.

message 3: by August (new)

August (ausynn) | 2 comments Thank you, Sam. That sounds like an interesting book, but I don't think it's the one I'm looking for because I think her father is still alive. Thank you again. :)