Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Book Discussion and Reviews > Pride Month Books

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I'm putting together my library list for Pride Month next month, and I wanted to see if you had any recommendations. Looking for LGBTQIA+ protagonists! I've read a bunch, so here are my favorites (in case you are looking for recommendations):

The Heart's Invisible Furies
The Great Believers
This Is How It Always Is
What If It's Us

message 2: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2486 comments Mod
The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives!!!!!!!!!!!!

Others I've read this year-
Drama- super cute graphic novel
Dragon Pearl- didn't care for this one. YA/ space sci fi with some mythology thrown in, but it has a they/them character.
I'm Afraid of Men- Can't recommend this enough!

message 3: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 840 comments How Much of These Hills Is Gold was great, as was The Future of Another Timeline, for some genre diversity!

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited May 22, 2020 01:41PM) (new)

Thanks for the recs, Chrissy! Two I had never heard of!

Tracy, I'm 100% reading The 57 Bus in June!

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Peterson | 397 comments It's a downer, obviously, but And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic is amazingly written (it intersperses very touching, personal vignettes with the more traditional narrative nonfiction style) and honestly completely changed my understanding of the AIDS crisis. I kind of think that everyone should read this book.

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hannah, I added this one to my TBR! Also, both The Great Believers and The Heart's Invisible Furies touch on the AIDS crisis, if you were interested in some fictionalized accounts of it.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Peterson | 397 comments Thanks, Emily! I keep hearing good things about The Great Believers, but I actually had no idea what it was about. Added!

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Thank you for setting up this thread, I added a few to my TBR! 😃

message 9: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1832 comments Mod
On the lighter side, a couple of romances are Red, White & Royal Blue and One Giant Leap. There are so few obstacles to heterosexual love these days that can power a plot, but same-sex relationships can still run into societal issues, especially if the characters are in the public eye as these are.

A historical and humorous take on it is The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. Then there is the original series before and during the AIDS crisis - Tales of the City.

I did all of these on audio and they were great that way. A YA book that can be enjoyed by anyone is Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, read by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I loveeee Gentleman's Guide and its sequel. It looks like the publication of the third in the trilogy was pushed back to December 😭.

message 11: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1306 comments Mod
Anybody have any mysteries with LGBTQIA+ protagonists? I lean more towards the cozies and less of the police procedurals, but I'm open. I love this genre, but it does tend to stick to straight, cis protagonists. Bonus points for characters who self identify as LGBTQIA+. Like, you can and many many scholars do argue that Sherlock Holmes is asexual, but I'd like to find more books where it's openly stated.

message 12: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1832 comments Mod
Jackie wrote: "Anybody have any mysteries with LGBTQIA+ protagonists? I lean more towards the cozies and less of the police procedurals, but I'm open. I love this genre, but it does tend to stick to straight, cis..."

I listened to Somebody Killed His Editor, which I believe is first of a series with 2 gay protagonists. There are explicit sex scenes, in case that's a concern. It takes place at a writer's conference and there's a lot of satire about the writers.

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 545 comments Proper English is an Edwardian country house mystery/romance with lesbian protagonists

I also like Ellen Hart's Jane Lawless series

Nicola Upson has a mystery series casts Josephine Tey as a lesbian detective (a 3-star series for me)

The Lamda Literary Awards have categories for gay mysteries and lesbian mysteries each year.

message 15: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Robin wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Anybody have any mysteries with LGBTQIA+ protagonists? I lean more towards the cozies and less of the police procedurals, but I'm open. I love this genre, but it does tend to stick t..."

They got me with the "remote Northern California winery" and "impossible for law enforcement to come to the rescue". Like waving a cookie in front of my nose!

message 16: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Laurel wrote: "Proper English is an Edwardian country house mystery/romance with lesbian protagonists

I also like Ellen Hart's Jane Lawless series

Nicola Upson ha..."

Why does google exist? It's so much less effective than all of you!

message 17: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 207 comments Oh, is it 🏳‍🌈 the most wonderful time of the year 🏳‍🌈 again?

Well, I have some recommendations. Just a few...

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics - historical f/f romance, scientist ladies
When the Moon Was Ours - heartbreakingly gorgeous magical realism, trans man co-protagonist
Girl, Woman, Other - multiple queer female protagonists IIRC, one non-binary protagonist
This is How You Lose the Time War - mindbending timebending f/f
Space Opera - space Eurovision, coined the term "gendersplat"
The Binding - alt-history? fantasy? m/m and magic books
In the Vanishers’ Palace - one of the queer ladies is a dragon
Disobedience
The Gloaming - Scottish magical realism! f/f
Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew - adorable fantasy graphic novel, protagonists are 2 werewolf girlfriends and a nonbinary centaur
The Song of Achilles
Two Boys Kissing- gorgeous YA
The Haunting of Henry Twist
Fingersmith
The Black Tides of Heaven - fantasy novella series, gender is not assigned at birth!
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - one of the queer ladies is a dinosaur alien!!! found family on a spaceship
Every Heart a Doorway - another deeply queer fantasy novella series, about the aftermath of portal fantasies

message 18: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I really enjoyed When the Moon Was Ours! It was really, really beautiful. And Song of Achilles is one of my favorites ever!

I think I'm going to use Time War for Week 52. a book related to time whenever it comes up on my prompts list.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2221 comments Written in 1913 but not published till 1970 - Maurice by E.M Forster.

message 20: by Kelley (last edited Jun 01, 2020 08:54AM) (new)

Kelley (kstoneking) | 93 comments Lies We Tell Ourselves was very good. Set during a time of desegregation in the south, the protagonist is a young black woman also coming to terms with her sexuality.

And I agree with Hannah.....Middlesex was an incredible story! It also won the Pulitzer Prize.

message 22: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments The Light Brigade - The MC is bisexual, there are several references to characters who have two mom's. In fact we do not know the MC gender until about 1/3 into the book and it is not referenced again. No one's race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender or religion is important during this book.

message 23: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I read The Flight Portfolio and it was really, really good. Based on a real person during WWII, gay protagonist, felt a bit like The Heart's Invisible Furies but during WWII and with spies and modern artists. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I also read Juliet Takes a Breath, which, OOF, it hit me hard. Lots of discussion of race and intersectional feminism, but tied up in a funky YA bow. Sped through it, but it left me thinking... highly recommend for people looking at how race and sexuality intersect.

message 24: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Jackie wrote: "Anybody have any mysteries with LGBTQIA+ protagonists? I lean more towards the cozies and less of the police procedurals, but I'm open. I love this genre, but it does tend to stick to straight, cis..."

Unfortunately, I've totally missed this post until after Pride Month is over, but I still wanted to rec one of my FAVORITE mystery series!! First book in the series is The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka - both the author and the private detective protagonist are bisexual. Book #4 in this series comes out next week!!!