2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Doctor Zhivago
This topic is about Doctor Zhivago
ARCHIVE 2020 > Doctor Zhivago: Pre-Reading Discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - added it

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments This month we will be reading Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

We have made some changes to the threads. This is where we will be discussion the book prior to the group read. If you`re excited for the book let us know! Have you read it before or is it your first time?

message 2: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - added it

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments This book were on my parents shelves during my childhood and I always wanted to read it. Somehow it just never was the right time and it stayed unread. I`m not sure even they read it xD

Now seems a good time to make it happen though so I ordered the vesion I want to own and am waiting for it to arrive! Hope many others join in ^^

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 1 star

SarahKat | 3094 comments I'm listening to the audio book. John Lee is the narrator and I'm not sure I like him. This is the 3rd book I've read that he's narrated.

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1772 comments Oh, man! I totally forgot about this, but luckily, my favorite local used bookstore has two copies which are now being held for me! :)

I read this when I was 16 (almost 50 years ago) and LOVED it! I have watched the movie at least 3-4 times and loved it as well!

I cannot wait to reread this. Simply one of my favorite books!

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4105 comments I had never heard of this book before it got nominated :O I might have been living under a rock..

Sean (fordest) | 292 comments I remember when I was about 12 and my dad tried to get me to watch the movie. I really could never get interested and probably lasted about 15 minutes before giving up. Since then I have seen it listed here and there as a great book and I was very happy to finally get to read it.

Carmen | 4540 comments Another classic I have always wanted to read but never seemed to find the right time to get down to it, hopefully I think this time will be the definitive one!

message 8: by Raúl Omar (new) - added it

Raúl Omar (osocete) | 3 comments When I was in High-school I was given two choices for the Russian literature module: either Anna Karenina or Doctor Zhivago. I don't remember why but I chose Anna Karenina, thinking that sometime later I would read Doctor Zhivago. But then I went to college, I got busy and totally forgot. So I'm very excited to finally read this book. This is also the first time I'm participating actively in a Group Read :) so wish me luck!

message 9: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I'm excited to read this! I've wanted to read it for a few years.

message 10: by Dikshita (new) - added it

Dikshita (Nightime BookNerd) | 193 comments I have heard about this book from my grandmother. I am so glad it got picked for this month. Very excited to read this one.

message 11: by Yasmeen (new) - added it

Yasmeen (yazzieyaz1) | 6 comments I have not yet read this, but I am very excited!

message 12: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1772 comments Ilona wrote: "I had never heard of this book before it got nominated :O I might have been living under a rock.."

I don't think that's necessarily true! There are way too many books for any one of us to be familiar with all of them! ;)

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanyareadstoomuch) | 2 comments I read this book about 25 years ago and loved it. I am excited to re-read it to see if it still holds up for me years later.

Barbara Welsh | 6 comments Absolutely love this book! I loved the movie and I had to read the book. The book really surpassed the movie. If you haven’t read this I’d recommend you do. A beautiful read.

message 15: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - added it

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Looking bad for me reading this in June. It has yet to arrive :(

message 16: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken | 16 comments I’ll join in. I’ve been told this book has a lot of characters and the story can be challenging to follow. I’m looking forward to reading it!

message 17: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4105 comments Montserrat wrote: "I'm new here and new to book clubs in general. Is it very important that I read the same version? I'm going to read it now anyway, but the version I have is translated from Russian to Norwegian and..."

Not at all, you can read this book in any language to join the group read. Happy reading!

message 18: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Hayes | 10 comments Loved the movie more than the book. That being said, I need to rewatch the movie to see if I’d now understand more. It was my mom’s favorite movie and I always watch it and think of her. Wondering if she read the book.