Offshore: Behind the Wire on Manus and Nauru
This topic is about Offshore
Discussions > June 2020 - Offshore: Behind The Wire on Manus & Nauru

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (em_isreading) (em_isreading) | 112 comments Mod
JUNE DISCUSSION THREAD

Some of you might know that June is the month that we commemorate the experience of refugees and people seeking asylum - the stories and accounts of the experience of displacement. June is the month of World Refugee Day (June 14th) and Refugee Week (June 14-20th). During that period, Refugee Council of Australia has put together a calendar of events celebrating the Year of Welcome- this year’s theme.

Staying with that, we've chosen Madeline Gleeson's for our June read. I have checked, there are e-books available from local libraries, and bookshops who don't have stock will be able to order from their suppliers. Internationally, this one is available on Scribd.

This month we are shouting out the following indie booksellers for anyone who is purchasing:

VIC: Neighbourhood Books
NSW: Better Read Than Dead
QLD: Avid Reader
SA: Matilda Bookshop
WA: Crow Books

If you’d like some reading recommendations for #RefugeeReads, I’m happy to chat through these and more. There are so many #OwnVoices works out there, I’d love to see what you’re reading.

OFFSHORE: BEHIND THE WIRE ON MANUS & NAURU
What has happened on Nauru and Manus since Australia began its most recent offshore processing regime in 2012?

This essential book provides a comprehensive and uncompromising overview of the first three years of offshore processing since it recommenced in 2012. It explains why offshore processing was re-established, what life is like for asylum seekers and refugees on Nauru and Manus, what asylum seekers, refugees and staff in the offshore detention centres have to say about what goes on there, and why the truth has been so hard to find. In doing so, it goes behind the rumours and allegations to reveal what is known – and what still is not known – about Australia’s offshore detention centres.

What the judges thought:
Offshore was included in the 2017 longlist - the same year as fictional heavy weights Georgia Blain and Heather Rose.

The judges report and further reading and info can be found here:
https://thestellaprize.com.au/prize/2...

As per last month, we will read this in stages on the Instagram feed, and I will pop back here with some reading questions soon.

This book is politically stimulating and while I am fairly certain we are all on the same page about Australia's immigration policies, I ask you to keep the discussion to the book and its merits. Polite and respectful discourse about policy will be permitted, but the minute I see things get out of hand comments will be deleted.

Natasha (jouljet) (jouljet) | 23 comments Great choice, I am excited that Stella Project group will read this together.

I actually worked in the camp in Nauru (I am a Social Worker), so whilst curious to see what is said and which #ownvoices stories are told, I think this read is still too soon for me. I know it will mainly make me angry, because there are still people today held on Nauru and in PNG, so it's not yet over.

But very interested in the discussion, and would be happy to answer any questions that came up from the group about what went on, and goes on, in Nauru.

message 3: by Kim (last edited May 22, 2020 02:23AM) (new) - added it

Kim | 9 comments Excellent! I've reserved it at my local library! If we stay outbreak free I'll be able to read this one. Fingers Crossed
Offshore Behind the Wire on Manus and Nauru by Madeline Gleeson Offshore: Behind the Wire on Manus and Nauru by Madeline Gleeson