Play Book Tag discussion

Wild Life: Dispatches from a Childhood of Baboons and Button-Downs
This topic is about Wild Life
May 2020: Comedy > Wild Life - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

forsanolim | 481 comments Keena Roberts grew up as the daughter of two primatologists who studied vervet monkeys and baboons in Kenya and (mostly) Botswana, where they brought Keena and her sister Lucy along for the ride. Throughout Keena's childhood, the family spent six-month-plus spans of time each year in "Baboon Camp" in the Okavango Delta, monitoring and studying baboon behavior. The remainder of the year was spent in Philadelphia, where Keena's parents taught as professors and where Keena had to navigate life in an American private school--think Mean Girls, but with lots of fun nature facts.

It's a really funny memoir and a really interesting look at a truly unique childhood. More broadly, the book deals with themes of belonging and what constitutes "home," as Keena attempts to find her place between Botswana and Pennsylvania. I deeply enjoyed reading this book; Keena's story resonated with me in a number of ways, and I found the book well-written and a joy to read.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6183 comments Thanks for the review.

That sounds like something I would enjoy.

forsanolim | 481 comments Booknblues wrote: "Thanks for the review.

That sounds like something I would enjoy."

I'd definitely recommend it! I found it purely by chance on my library's website, but I'm really glad that I happened to see it.