Play Book Tag discussion

Robin: The Definitive Biography of Robin Williams
This topic is about Robin
May 2020: Comedy > Robin: The Definitive Biography of Robin Williams 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 319 comments Robin is the life story of Robin Williams from his lonely childhood through his death in 2014. Robin spent much of his childhood alone where he developed his vivid imagination. He became very interested in theater and even attended the prestigious Julliard. Improvisation was one of his strengths making him not only a gifted actor, but an amazing stand-up comic. As his fame and recognition increased so did his addictions to drugs and alcohol . He battled these addictions along with depression for most of his life. As rich, popular, and recognized as he became he still suffered from self doubt as to his talent.
This was a well researched and well written biography that lets us into Robins' all too human life. It's easy to tell ourselves if only we were richer, prettier, more famous, etc. our lives would be perfect. Robin lets us into the all too human world we are all a part of. The book left me incredibly sad for the man who tried so hard to overcome his flaws and left us too soon. At the end of the book is a list of the movies, comedy recordings and awards that he won. It is a truly amazing list of accomplishments from a man who considered himself just like everyone else. For me this was a great read about an amazingly talented man who battled his demons as long as he was able.

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Cheryl wrote: "Robin is the life story of Robin Williams from his lonely childhood through his death in 2014. Robin spent much of his childhood alone where he developed his vivid imagination. He became very inter..."

Thanks for this Cheryl. I was really in awe of his talent, and very sad when he died. At the time they said he had an unusual brain disease. Did it turn out to be true? Is the book mostly sad, or is there a lot of fun in it too?

Several of my husband's family members were extras in a film he made in 1981 and they asked him to sign a wedding card for us. It was such a cool surprise.

Cheryl Coppens | 319 comments NancyJ wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Robin is the life story of Robin Williams from his lonely childhood through his death in 2014. Robin spent much of his childhood alone where he developed his vivid imagination. He be..."

Nancy, it isn't all sad, but of course the end is the ending of his life and all the difficulties and pressure he was feeling. He did have an incurable brain disease that was diagnosed after his death which may have also made him more susceptible to suicidal thoughts. Before his death he had been misdiagnosed with Parkinsons which has some of the same symptoms. You can tell from the book how he did struggle all his life with insecurities and bouts of depression.
That is so cool that he signed a wedding card for you. What a great thing to remember him by.

message 4: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I love Robin Williams. His comedy is great but I enjoyed his serious movies even better. His interviews were always an adventure. His bit on golfing is one of my favorites.

Have added this to read.

Cheryl Coppens | 319 comments Jason, I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. He was an amazing talent.