CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o May 22 to 28, 2020

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (last edited May 21, 2020 07:25PM) (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Greetings readers!!!

we are in the end stretch of May, live has slowed down and finally the weather is starting to get better! what have you been reading? what is next?

have a great weekend!

edited to add - did anyone know that it is Asian heritage month? here is a list of reads suggested by CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/books/17-books-to-...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments Thanks @Susan, I'll check out that list. I did not know it was Asian heritage month.

I am just about to finish The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore (an good read, waiting for and not sure if there's going to be a peak moment!?) after which I possibly get into The Library at Mount Char.

On audio, I finished Overdose: Heartbreak And Hope in Canada’s Opiod Crisis, a phenomenal read! I am a nurse having worked in mental health and had a friend with Opioid Use Disorder recently die of an overdose. A real eye opener, this is an essential read in understanding why we are in an opioid crisis. I have just started reading The Red Lotus

Have a great weekend everyone!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 940 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished Where the Crawdads Sing and Congratulations, Who Are You Again?, both of which were good but not great reads for me.

I'm currently reading Ayesha at Last for bingo. It's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in a Muslim community in Toronto. It is cute and light and has been perfect for my brain's current bandwidth.

I'm also reading The Line That Held Us, which falls into the Grit Lit or Southern Noir genre. The novel starts with a hunting accident, and the dead man's brother is seriously bad news in town. You pretty much know right away where this book is headed, but it's still taken me by surprise a few times and I'm not even halfway through it.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2055 comments Last weekend I finished two books: The Beloveds and Secret Daughter. Both were great. Now, I am thoroughly enjoying The Historian. It’s over 600 pages long but soooo good. Right up my alley. 🤓

message 5: by Petra (new)

Petra | 842 comments Sarah, my condolences on the loss of your friend.
The opiod issue is convoluted, at best. It's such a sad situation for those who don't feel they have a choice but to use drugs that may be contaminated.

@Allison, I really enjoyed The Historian. I'm glad you're liking it.

I'm still reading the same books as last week:
David Copperfield
A Place in the World

message 6: by Petra (last edited May 22, 2020 02:51PM) (new)

Petra | 842 comments Sarah, my condolences on the loss of your friend.
The opiod issue is convoluted, at best. It's such a sad situation for those who don't feel they have a choice but to use drugs that may be contaminated.

@Allison, I really enjoyed The Historian. I'm glad you're liking it.

I'm still reading the same books as last week:
David Copperfield
A Place in the World
and, in audio, The Eyre Affair

message 7: by Petra (last edited May 22, 2020 03:25PM) (new)

Petra | 842 comments Susan, it's hard to believe that we're in the second half of May already. Even in these more isolated times, Time is flying by.
We're starting to get out into the garden and yard more now that the weather is improving. It's nice to dig around out there again.

ETA: I put a hold on Mysterious Dreams Of The Dead, from the attached list you posted. If the library ever opens again and when they receive their copies, I'm the first on the list of Holds. Thanks for the heads up.

message 8: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Friday!! It is so glorious outside I wanted to spend the whole day in the garden, alas, work gets in the way, LOL!

Still reading Circe and I am liking it, but not loving it! This is for my book club so I am sure there will be great discussion on the book. I guess it stems from the fact that I am not familiar with Greek mythology, so the book is not drawing me in as much as I'd like.
I am ordering way too many books online. Indigo is taking all my money, and there are multiple deliveries every week, but as @Susan said, there could be worst habit than hoarding books, right? So needless to say, I am not missing my library too much.

I have also been ordering books to send to a dear friend of mine who recently lost her mom from COVID in a senior home and who has been self-isolating at home and not been able to spend time with the rest of her family. Definitely maximizing my Plum Plus benefits for the year!!
Have a great weekend everyone!!

message 9: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 604 comments Happy weekend to everyone. I have been reading American Dirt, and I am intrigued by all of the angst towards the author and her fictional book. It is a difficult story to digest, much trauma and pain packed in there.

I was aware that it was Asian Heritage Month and I startedThe Library of Legends on audio. I am planning on watching a Zoom "High Tea" with this author and 3 others later today.

@May- I enjoyed Circe but it took me quite some time to get into it, I am not very versed on mythology and so found myself having to research it out as I was reading. I enjoyed The Song of Achilles more.

@Sarah- I have been wanting to read the Overdose book for some time now. I work in mental health (psychiatric nurse) and see the ripple effects of addictions. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It is difficult to describe how it feels to see all those effected endure such pain.

message 10: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
@Sarah - i am so sorry to hear about your friends. Mental health and addictions are such complex issues we all need to have more compassion and understanding for those who struggle.

@May - so sad for your friend and nice that you can provide her some comfort through books.

interesting article in the Star today and Heather Reisman commented that Indigo does not make any money with online sales. it was disheartening to read how the publishers are expecting to have so many unsold books returned to them due to the pandemic.

@Wanda - i was supposed to be on the zoom even and totally forgot until reading your post. UGH!! how was it?

My reading has been slow and all I finished was A Fatal Grace which is the 2nd Louise Penny book. It was a comfortable read now that I know the characters a little better than her first book which i struggled with.

This morning, i finished Greenwood and LOVED it. The juxtaposition of trees, families and story was terrific and i am sure it will be great book club discussion!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments Thank you for all your kind words ladies!

@May I listened to Circe on audio and just loved it! I’ve wondered how the book would read in comparison.

@Susan I loved Greenwood! Glad you liked it.

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 279 comments Hi, everyone -- I celebrated my birthday yesterday with my bubble, which has now expanded to include my three grandchildren (their family has not left the house for eight weeks) and it was so great to hug them again.

There's so much wonderful Canadian historical fiction out there. This week I finished At the Mountain's Edge by Genevieve Graham, a new author to me; and also the third book in a trilogy by fantastically underrated author Guy Vanderhaeghe, A Good Man.

I topped those off with an American memoir, Land of the Burnt Thigh, a memoir by one of two sisters who homesteaded together in South Dakota. It was fascinating!

message 13: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments I am currently reading The Plague and it is uncanny how similar the chronology of events unfolding throughout the novel are similar to how we have handled the current pandemic. Makes you aware of the inevitability of human nature, no matter how much we think we have evolved as a society.

message 14: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments @Susan, my friend loved the books I sent her!! That made me very happy.
@Sarah, I finished the book, and we had the our book club discussion last night. I am not in the "love" camp as I know nothing about Greek Mythology and I enjoyed the 1/2 half of the book more. However, that's the beauty of a book club, as I gained so much insight from other members and I learned a lot from it.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @May I can understand your lack of love for the story, I think Greek mythology is one of those topics you’ve got to have the flavour for it. Although, having said that, I haven’t been particularly drawn to Greek mythology (ever!) I just decided to take stab at Circe bc it received great reviews. The narrator really made the story come alive. It would be a good one for a Bookclub.