Play Book Tag discussion

Big Lies in a Small Town
This topic is about Big Lies in a Small Town
May 2020: Other Books > Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8188 comments I listened to this on audio, and thought it was a great book for that. I loved both women in the story, and both timelines. Easy to fall in love with the spirit of both women. Diane Chamberlain always manages to weave a great historical fiction tale. Her women are feisty and independent, although products of their time. Always, there is some kind of racial, social, and gender inequity that has to be dealt with, and she does a nice job of not glossing over those difficult truths. I liked how this one ended, with our not necessarily knowing or getting a resolve on one last painful thread left over. I thought it was well done, and beautiful, even in its crazy and brutal oddities and elements woven in. Much like the mural, which I could completely envision.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I sampled the beginning of this one and I liked it so far. I'll definitely read it this year. I like that it involves a WPA project from the Great Depression.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8188 comments Yes! All of the states had an artist commission a mural for the post offices of the towns, and that is the historical scene set of the novel. A mural with hidden secrets!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1913 comments I have had this on my list and am looking forward to reading it soon.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8188 comments When you do Oliver, rag it civil rights, or maybe even great depression if it exists.