Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Challenges > JLA 2020 Portal Hero Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments I think we're at 30 or very close. JSA went with Dagger. What portal hero is your choice? I like all of the others except Quake.

message 2: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2813 comments Mod
*watches and waits*

For the record, I won't be checking until Sunday, so at the moment, I don't know who got to 30 first.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Can someone remind me where the portal heroes are - I think my brain is atrophying.

message 4: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Page 1 of the challenge.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Thanks Wayland!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments I like Jessica Jones. That one looks pretty easy to my tastes.

message 7: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments I did a tally since Wayland's last summary. JSA hit 30 with Lel's. Mine was #30 behind hers. :)

message 8: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 373 comments I think my first choice would be Iron Fist because dragons! But the only one I'd probably struggle with is Luke Cage.

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments Cloak, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones seem most appealing to me (and the books I am planning to read soon).
Do we have the rest of the year to finish portal heroes, or are they a one-month thing?

message 10: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Johanne wrote: "Cloak, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones seem most appealing to me (and the books I am planning to read soon).
Do we have the rest of the year to finish portal heroes, or are they a one-month thing?"

Rest of the year.

message 11: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments Thanks Wayland

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Is Iron Fist the one with porting ability - I am drawing a complete blank on that. That's why I was having a big problem with that one.

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Yawn (southernstardust) | 223 comments Any of the three mentioned is fine with me. All of them have 2 easy and 1 hard task.

message 14: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments Sandy wrote: "Is Iron Fist the one with porting ability - I am drawing a complete blank on that. That's why I was having a big problem with that one."

Cloak is the one with porting... 2. Now You See Him…-read a book where someone can teleport, something disappears, or something fading away on the cover.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments I think Jessica Jones is probably my favorite choice right now. Maybe Cloak 2nd. I actually think Quake would be fairly easy, but I guess that is probably just me...lol. So Jessica Jones or Cloak are my votes.

message 16: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments Cloak looks a little more difficult to me too. Maybe Iron Fist? Dragons? :) Or Jessica Jones looks doable for me.

message 17: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments I'll look up ideas for Quake. :) I'm open to any of them!

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Iron Fist would work, too. I like dragons :) and upon a second look the challenges don't seem too crazy for him. So, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Cloak seem to be the three to choose from.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Shawnie wrote: "I'll look up ideas for Quake. :) I'm open to any of them!"

I think her last problem might give us all some issues though! LOL. It is just her first two that seem fairly easy.

message 20: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments I don't see too many. Is there one who causes vibrations in the Reckoners series? I had planned to start that again.

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 373 comments Jessica would probably be my 2nd choice. Cloak I'm stuck on the teleporting one.

message 22: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2767 comments Mod
I don't have a strong preference. Cloak looks okay, Jessica looks okay; Quake ...

I think vibrations are in Reckoners; it makes me think of Reckoners anyway.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Let me look at Cloak again. I like Jessica because I read a lot of mysteries...and I like the series ;-)

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments I can't think of a teleporting story at all - so I would have trouble with cloak. Can anyone suggest?

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Iron Fist - any suggestions on mystical city?

message 26: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments I read on wiki that in The Reckoners series, Obliteration can teleport. Maybe something disappears is easier... a ghost? a missing person?

And I had no idea what a "Mystical city" is so I googled it and came up with synonym "hidden" or "lost" city. I then googled "lost city fiction" and came up with Atlantis, Camelot, Charn (Narnia). Could we use "mythological" cities? Idk....

message 27: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

I'd say Atlantis and Camelot both certainly count.

message 28: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

They teleport in Oathbringer. But it can also be "something disappears," so I figure any Harry Potter with the Invisibility Cloak.

message 29: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments I feel like we are leaning towards either Iron Fist or Jessica Jones. I like the fact that Camelot counts as a mystical city! What do you guys think? Should we take a vote between those two?

message 30: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1680 comments Can we go with Jessica Jones? I'll start planning my books. :D

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments I am down for Jessica Jones! :)

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments I'm fine with any of the two. Some of the tasks seem easy, some hard, on both of them.

message 33: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Either is fine for me.

message 34: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 373 comments Happy with either too. So I guess Jessica Jones then?

message 35: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Yawn (southernstardust) | 223 comments I'll go for Jessica Jones.

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Looks like we have a quorum...

message 37: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Jessica Jones it is then.

message 38: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Make it so.

message 39: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 373 comments I think we have enough points to get our next portal hero now. So any thoughts? I have ideas for all of them now so I'm not fussed which we choose. I like to be prepared!

message 40: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments I had a look again, and I think Cloak and Iron Fist seem easiest to me. I don't have specific books in mind, so I'm not set on them.

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments I kind of like the idea of Quake. I am really hung up on mystical or moving city and teleportation thing.

message 42: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Yeah, I think Iron Fist or Quake are the two I like the most.

message 43: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments Oh yeah Quake looks good as well. For hacker: I read Alif the Unseen by G Willow Wilson when it came out, and I highly recommend it.

I'm at the point where I may need some suggestions for some of the regular league. Should I just ask in the main discussion thread, when I'm ready?

message 44: by Christina (last edited Aug 14, 2020 01:07PM) (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments Johanne wrote: "Oh yeah Quake looks good as well. For hacker: I read Alif the Unseen by G Willow Wilson when it came out, and I highly recommend it.

I'm at the point where I may need some suggestions for some of..."

I don't think any of us mind if you ask here Johanne. I will sometimes go through the discussion thread, too, where a lot of people, including myself, list the books they plan to read for the challenge.

message 45: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "I kind of like the idea of Quake. I am really hung up on mystical or moving city and teleportation thing."

Some ideas I had for this were The City of Brass trilogy has a mystical/magic city in it.
Or The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Storm Glass, The Cerulean, Howl's Moving Castle all have magic cities/buildings on the cover I think.

message 46: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments Another option for moving city is Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. I haven't read them, but that I know :)

message 47: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 485 comments And I'll ask here when I'm ready then :) Or have a look at the discussion thread to get ideas.

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 584 comments To add on to what Hayley said for the mystic/magic city books, awhile back Wayland said that Camelot would count for this as well, so that opens up a lot of other books to potentially use, but again I like both Quake and Iron Fist equally, so what say, you guys? Should we take a vote?

message 49: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I think I'm leaning toward Iron Fist, but whatever.

message 50: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

*watches from the shadows, taking notes*

« previous 1