2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Kinza's (Hopefully) Valiant Attempt at Reading 50 Books

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kinza (last edited Dec 31, 2020 11:11AM) (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments A bit of a late start but I’d like to join with a formidable goal, at least for me. I am going to read 49 books in total. I haven’t completed a single challenge since joining Goodreads and I’d like to remedy that this year. I've already read 6 books in the beginning of the year, so I'll list those first. But, as of May
21st, I am throwing myself into the challenge and reading 43 (more) books by the end of the year.

【18/49】

Stand-Alones
What Alice Forgot
Magpie Murders
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
(this one is technically part of a series but I have no plans of finishing the series this year)
This Is Where It Ends
Uprooted
The Alchemist
Little Fires Everywhere

Series: Percy Jackson & the Olympians
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan
✓ The Lightning Thief
✓ The Sea of Monsters
✓ The Titan's Curse
✓ The Battle of the Labyrinth
✓ The Last Olympian

Series: The Heroes of Olympus
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan
✓ The Lost Hero
✓ The Son of Neptune
✓ The Mark of Athena
✓ The House of Hades
✓ The Blood of Olympus

Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2) by Rick Riordan The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan
✓ The Sword of Summer
2. The Hammer of Thor
3. The Ship of the Dead

Series: The Kane Chronicles
The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, #2) by Rick Riordan The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan
1. The Red Pyramid
2. The Throne of Fire
3. The Serpent's Shadow

Series: Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover
The Son of Sobek (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover, #1) by Rick Riordan The Staff of Serapis (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover #2) by Rick Riordan The Crown of Ptolemy (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover #3) by Rick Riordan
1. The Son of Sobek
2. The Staff of Serapis
3. The Crown of Ptolemy

Series: The Trials of Apollo
The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo, #2) by Rick Riordan The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3) by Rick Riordan The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4) by Rick Riordan The Tower of Nero (The Trials of Apollo, #5) by Rick Riordan
1. The Hidden Oracle
2. The Dark Prophecy
3. The Burning Maze
4. The Tyrant's Tomb
5. The Tower of Nero

Series: The Soulkeepers
The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1) by G.P. Ching Return to Eden (The Soulkeepers, #3) by G.P. Ching Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers, #2) by G.P. Ching Soul Catcher (The Soulkeepers, #4) by G.P. Ching Lost Eden (The Soulkeepers, #5) by G.P. Ching The Last Soulkeeper (The Soulkeepers, #6) by G.P. Ching
1. The Soulkeepers
2. Return to Eden
3. Weaving Destiny
4. Soul Catcher
5. Lost Eden
6. The Last Soulkeeper

Series: Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas
1. Throne of Glass
2. Crown of Midnight
3. Heir of Fire
4. Queen of Shadows
5. Empire of Storms
6. Tower of Dawn
7. Kingdom of Ash

Series: The Mortal Instruments
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare
1. City of Bones
2. City of Ashes
3. City of Glass
4. City of Fallen Angels
5. City of Lost Souls
6. City of Heavenly Fire

message 2: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments My first post has way too many hyperlinks I think. But I do like seeing the book covers there. Debating on whether or not to remove the book cover or the hyperlink text.

Anyway, I'm on the first book of this 49 book challenge. I have already read 6 books, back in January I think. The book is The Lightning Thief, which I've already read before, but I'm rereading because of the adaptation that was announced. These books were my childhood and I'm so excited to read them again.

message 3: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Kinza wrote: "My first post has way too many hyperlinks I think. But I do like seeing the book covers there. Debating on whether or not to remove the book cover or the hyperlink text.

Anyway, I'm on the first ..."

Okay, I fixed it. I removed the hyperlinks under the series. The pictures look prettier when listing a series. I'm going to keep the hyperlinks for the single books though.

message 4: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments What Alice Forgot 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished January 2, 2020

I read this book in the beginning of the year and I don't remember much of it, but my rating makes me believe I loved it. I do remember that it was sad, and I was fascinated the whole time trying to figure out the whole story. The ending was great, I remember feeling satisfied. A good start to the year I think.

message 5: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Magpie Murders 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished January 22, 2020

I remember this book reminded me of the Orient Express and got me wanting to read or watch murder mysteries. I love murder mysteries but it's not until I read a book or watch a movie that I remember that. Anyway, this was a great book. Haven't encountered a bad book yet.

message 6: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
Abandoned

Now this book was just awful. It's partly my fault for picking it up because I didn't realize it was a memoir. I don't particularly like memoirs but it as advertised as funny and I can tell you right now, it's not. I was miserable reading this book and I hate leaving books unread but I physically could not bring myself to read anymore. Worst book I think I've ever read and left me wanting to jump to the next book without looking back.

message 7: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished February 10, 2020

After the last book, this one was a godsend. It was so cute and so nice and just ughh I loved it. The cute gay romance was just perfect. I don't remember the plot, but I adored the characters with all of my heart. It's part of a series but I don't think I have any intention of finishing the series unless the series is complete. (I just checked and it's not.) I have a terrible habit of not starting anything unless I know it's complete because I abhor waiting for something I love to be released. I didn't know this was part of a series when I picked it up but I don't remember it having a cliffhanger or anything so I'm content to wait as of now. To wrap up, this is a great book!!

message 8: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments This Is Where It Ends 🌟🌟🌟
Finished February 12, 2020

This book was okay. I feel like it was wasted potential. The author could have done so much more with this book. They could have explored more of the antagonist and figured out why they did what they did. Instead, it was basically "he's a bad person", which is disappointing. I like my antagonists to have more depth than that. Otherwise, not a terrible book. Although I wouldn't consider 3 stars a good book.

message 9: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Uprooted 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished February 16, 2020

This book was great. I loved the characters. The guy was a bit of an asshole but I absolutely adored the girl. I liked how she was different in a way he couldn't predict or control. Also, the ending was perfect. It either had a glowing review or one that hated it so I was scared to read it. But, it was great. :)

message 10: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Alchemist 🌟🌟🌟
Finished March 27, 2020

I read this book after coming home for the start of quarantine. My sister had to read it for school. I understand how this could be a lot of people's comfort book. It has a lot of positive messages and it gives hope to the readers. But I don't know, it was kind of overhyped for me. I think if I went in blind, not reading any reviews, it would have gotten a higher rating from me. I saw a lot of people recommending this book, including a celebrity that I used to be a fan of. But, it was just disappointing. I might read it again one day and love it. This book seems to be a rereader. I was talking and thinking about omens for weeks after finishing this, so it definitely left its mark on me. An okay book I guess. I have a feeling my opinion will change later in my life.

message 11: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Okay, I'll update again once I finish The Lightning Thief. I just needed to write my thoughts for those books first. See you soon :)

message 12: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Lightning Thief🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 22, 2020

This book reminded me of so much of my childhood. While reading it though, I realized that I had skipped over or forgot so much. But, reading it over again made me appreciate it that much more. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it since I had read it such a long time ago but it was just as good now as it was then. I found myself jumping in my seat from excitement at certain parts. A great read!!

message 13: by Kinza (last edited May 23, 2020 05:23PM) (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Sea of Monsters🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 23, 2020

I completely forgot about Tyson. He's so cute and lovable. He and Percy's relationship is the best and I love the gift he gave him. There were so many moments in the books that I forgot about and it was so nice to read them again. It was a really great, fast-paced book.

message 14: by Kinza (last edited May 24, 2020 09:16PM) (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Titan’s Curse🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 24, 2020

This is probably the best book so far of the series. I loved the increased stakes and the drama, not to mention all the character development. I loved every part of it. Every character had a purpose and was crucial to the mission. I learned so much about the plot and the characters and it was just perfect.

message 15: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Battle of the Labyrinth🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 25, 2020

I literally could not put this book down. The plot developments, the character development, all of it was just fantastic. I learned so much about all the characters and new characters got introduced that added the perfect amount of drama. It was so fun reading this book. I thought the last book was my favourite, but this one just took it’s place. I can’t wait to read the last book again.

message 16: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Little Fires Everywhere🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 26, 2020

This book was so good!!! I couldn't get into for the first maybe 50 pages because it was slow in the beginning but that's only because the author takes the time to develop all the characters. They all feel fleshed out, alive, and real. It was so enjoyable to read and near the end, it would have been impossible to take this book away from me. I was so thoroughly hooked. I love character development and so I was a sucker for this book. Would definitely recommend!

message 17: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Last Olympian🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished May 27, 2020

This book was honestly just as good as I remember it being. Everything tied in together so perfectly. The development of all the characters is spectacularly done. I was so attatched to every single character, it's not even funny. The ending to me was completely perfect and I can't wait to read the next one.

message 18: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Lost Hero🌟🌟🌟
Finished July 14, 2020

I remember never connecting with these characters as much as I did for the original series. Out of the three protagonists, I could only bring myself to care about one of them. Consequently, the book was kind of a drag, and whenever I read it, it was only because I forced myself to. By the end, I did get excited but that was probably only because I would soon be able to move onto the next book. Overall though, it wasn't terrible, just maybe not my favourite.

message 19: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Update: reading books online is awful for me. This challenge would be going so much better if I had the physical copies of all these books.

message 20: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Son of Neptune🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished July 29, 2020

This book was better than the last one, but it still wasn't as good as I remembered. In the first series, when the characters went on a quest together, it felt like they were all friends. In this book, while Percy kept saying that Frank and Hazel were his friends, it seemed like he was kind of a third wheel in their romance. It focused a bit too much on the romance for me, but I still enjoyed the book.

message 21: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Mark of Athena🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished July 31, 2020

There were a couple of things I didn't like about this book but it was overall the best one of the series so far. I was invested in all of the stories and while the POVs switched a lot, I found I didn't mind much. I do feel like the relationships between the characters could have been developed better, but oh well.
The cliffhanger still makes me mad! It's such an aggravating place to leave a book off on. Also, I still think Nico should've been part of the 7. It should have been 8 demigods on the quest, honestly. That would eliminate Leo's awful character arc of always feeling left out because it's honestly such bullshit. He's valuable to the group and he doesn't need to be in a relationship to be included. Also, Nico and Leo have always felt like outsiders and I feel like we could have helped them change that together on this quest. They should have come to terms with feeling like outsiders because while they may not be in relationships, they are still CRUCIAL members of the group. They have strong friendships that they could instead be focusing on. Not everyone needs to be in a relationship, especially children and I feel like Rick could have made that known but instead we get their feelings being ignored and not dealt with.
Anyway, I just feel like Nico was so important to the quest that he deserved to be recognized for that.
I did love this book a lot less than when I first read it, but that's probably because when I read it the second time, I realize how much could have been done differently to make the series better, at least in my opinion. However, I still enjoyed this very much and I couldn't wait to finish it. I spent many hours reading this instead of sleeping and I don't regret it one bit.

message 22: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The House of Hades🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Finished August 1, 2020

I like this book A LOT. I think that we could have explored the trauma and the fear that Percy felt more than what was covered in the book. For most of their problems, Percy and Annabeth relied on their friends in Tartarus to get them out of it. It's probably realistic since they're in literal hell and no demigods have ever come out of it alive, BUT it also feels like a copout. As much as I'm attached to Percy and Annabeth, to the point where I would sob uncontrollably if either one died, I don't think it should've been possible for both of them to survive. And even if they did, they should've stayed behind and closed the door from the inside because how convenient that they have a friend in Tartarus willing to die for them and help them accomplish this task. It seemed like too much of a nice ending which obviously as a fan, I appreciate, but it also seems a tad unrealistic.
I enjoyed this book, practically ripped through it. I enjoyed the development in Frank, Nico, and Jason, but a lot of the characters still feel underdeveloped to me.
Overall, I really like the majority of the book, so it's 5 stars from me :)

message 23: by Kinza (last edited Aug 15, 2020 09:55PM) (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments Blood of Olympus🌟🌟🌟
Finished August 2, 2020

I honestly want to give this book a lower rating but my heart won't let me. I love the characters too much and even though the ending is downright ridiculous and unrealistic, I can't argue with my feelings. While I think that a lot of things could have been done better, at the end of the day, I'm just glad everything worked out okay. Now onto my rant...
First of all, Percy and Annabeth should have had POVs. Actually, all of them deserved a POV at least once. They're all main characters and we just don't hear from the majority of them because what... we're just done developing them? No. I get that Percy and Annabeth needed to step out of the way and let others take the lead, but they could do that with their actions instead of literally just not featuring them. Percy and Annabeth had 2 BIG moments in their relationship (Percy saying "I love you" and then them deciding to spend their futures together, starting with college) just told to us from an outsider's perspective. I don't think that's a fair ending for their character exposition. Additionally, Percy and Annabeth experienced almost no effects of trauma from Tartarus, which literally isn't possible. The only moment that showed anything close to a trauma response was when Annabeth is feeling scared, but that doesn't even count because she's apparently above a shrine that just evokes that emotion. This, to me, felt like a copout from having to write the effects of trauma. Also, side note, but Percy never has to actually come to terms with his "fatal flaw". Like he is too involved? He just does too much to help the world? That's truly the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Rick should've written how his flaw can actually hurt the people around him. Not once did his flaw hurt the quest in any way.
Secondly, the prophecy made literally no sense. It was just not apparent how all of the lines came to fruition. The ending was a complete copout, it was just Rick making a nice ending for everyone. Someone in the 7 should have died, for real, instead of Leo just pretending to die. Just by the odds they were facing, it shouldn't have been possible for them all to live happily ever after. Killing Gaea (literally the EARTH) was wayyy too easy for me. There was so much build-up, making her seem like the biggest baddest villain that anyone would ever face and yet all we had to do was pick her up, throw some wind around, charmspeak her to sleep, and then blow her up. That's so lame. Anyone could have done that, we didn't need the strongest demigods of the generation, just a fan, some TNT, and a soothing lullaby. It feels like the villain we would see at the beginning of a hero's journey, not the ending. She's the whole EARTH. You can't tell me it's that easy. I'll die mad about it.
Thirdly, Leo and Calypso shouldn't have happened. It's a dumb plotline. Like I said earlier, he doesn't need to be in a relationship. It's okay to feel lonely or alone and he should have come to terms with that and realized that he's loved and included in the groups regardless of him being in a relationship. He has a whole found family and still somehow feels left out unless he has a girlfriend? Nope. I'm sorry, that's bullshit.
Fourthly, it says multiple times that Percy is the strongest demigod and yet he's not even involved in the final battle? He's just beating up some monsters on the ground like a background character? That is so incredibly stupid to me. That can't be his exit from the demigod world and into a more normal one. We've followed his journey for 10 books now and his conclusion is just fighting some low-rank monsters. I'm so disappointed, honestly. They used his fatal flaw as a reason for him to not fight Gaea, which is a stupid excuse. Although, apparently since it's so easy to defeat her, we didn't need him there anyway. Gaea should have been more powerful and they (all 7) should have been needed to fight her. Some of them should've died. It should have been an epic, hopeless fight where we genuinely don't know if they'll win or not but instead, it took like 10 pages to resolve a plot that's been building for 5 books now (more if you count the ending of the last series). But no. Percy and Annabeth are too loyal and too prideful and sometimes they just need to walk away (????). The world literally has never needed them more and they just vanished (like the Avatar).
Anyway, all of this aside, it was a great series. I definitely welcome it into my life and I'm glad I had the pleasure of reading it.

message 24: by Kinza (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments The Sword of Summer🌟🌟🌟
Finished December 31, 2020

Last book I'll be able to read in 2020!! It was okay. Honestly, it might be 2 1/2 stars. I just think that Magnus was just a Walmart version of Percy Jackson. I tried to like him and give him a chance but it just felt like I've read it before and it was better then. I did love Blitzen and Hearthstone, though. I think the series does have potential. I also think that maybe it's time for Rick Riordan to move on from the whole adapting stories from different mythologies. It's getting a bit repetitive. Regardless, I will keep giving his books a chance.

message 25: by Kinza (last edited Dec 31, 2020 11:14AM) (new)

Kinza (kinzaa) | 63 comments I also blame my ADHD for not being able to set realistic goals for myself. I have never once completed a reading challenge and it has been years. Oh well, it was a woeful end to a very unattainable challenge but it cannot be said that I didn't try. If only my work in university and the pandemic hadn't kicked my ass, maybe I would have read more. As it is, 18 books is quite a bit more than I read last year.