Play Book Tag discussion

Postcards from the Edge
This topic is about Postcards from the Edge
May 2020: Comedy > (Poll Ballot Tally) Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5118 comments In this semi-autobiographical story, Carrie Fisher portrays the life of an addict in the character of the actress Suzanne. While I thought her writing was quite good, nothing much really happens in the plot, so it is very slow-paced even as it's full of the frenetic mental musings of the various addicts, most of which we are plunged into in the beginning, where we meet them in rehab. Overall it was just too long in the beginning, and later on towards the end things just happen rather quickly. I felt I was never given a chance to connect with the characters, who admittedly are not very likeable, and the only thing that really kept my attention was the awareness that Fisher had projected her experiences onto her character.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5786 comments I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Maybe she's better in smaller doses, and you read two of her books back to back. I read it long ago before I knew much about her and her mother (Debbie Reynolds), so maybe that's why it had a stronger impact on me. You're really moving fast this month through the books!

annapi | 5118 comments Yeah, I had planned to read the sequel to this, but I think I'm experiencing Fisher fatigue. Time to switch genres to my comfort zone. But in all of her books I felt she just went on a bit too long, to the point where I started to get restless. It worked best in Wishful Drinking, but then that's the shortest one of them!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5786 comments I find that to be true in most memoirs. I read too this month, which is more than I typically read in a year.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7850 comments annapi wrote: "Yeah, I had planned to read the sequel to this, but I think I'm experiencing Fisher fatigue. Time to switch genres to my comfort zone. But in all of her books I felt she just went on a bit too long..."

Isn't this her first book? That might affect it as well.

FYI Wishful Drinking is I believe the book form of a one woman autobiographical show she performed which I saw on Broadway abd it was awesome and powerful. I think some of her other books initially were performed first. I suspect if the audiobook is read by Fisher gerself, it would be more effective.