The Well-Read Woman Book Club discussion

Untamed
This topic is about Untamed
Book Discussion > Untamed

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Our Contemporary/Popular Pick for June 2020 is Untamed by Glennon Doyle.

This is how you find yourself.

There is a voice of longing inside each woman. We strive so mightily to be good: good partners, daughters, mothers, employees, and friends. We hope all this striving will make us feel alive. Instead, it leaves us feeling weary, stuck, overwhelmed, and underwhelmed. We look at our lives and wonder: Wasn’t it all supposed to be more beautiful than this? We quickly silence that question, telling ourselves to be grateful, hiding our discontent—even from ourselves.

For many years, Glennon Doyle denied her own discontent. Then, while speaking at a conference, she looked at a woman across the room and fell instantly in love. Three words flooded her mind: There She Is. At first, Glennon assumed these words came to her from on high. But she soon realized they had come to her from within. This was her own voice—the one she had buried beneath decades of numbing addictions, cultural conditioning, and institutional allegiances. This was the voice of the girl she had been before the world told her who to be. Glennon decided to quit abandoning herself and to instead abandon the world’s expectations of her. She quit being good so she could be free. She quit pleasing and started living.

Soulful and uproarious, forceful and tender, Untamed is both an intimate memoir and a galvanizing wake-up call. It is the story of how one woman learned that a responsible mother is not one who slowly dies for her children, but one who shows them how to fully live. It is the story of navigating divorce, forming a new blended family, and discovering that the brokenness or wholeness of a family depends not on its structure but on each member’s ability to bring her full self to the table. And it is the story of how each of us can begin to trust ourselves enough to set boundaries, make peace with our bodies, honor our anger and heartbreak, and unleash our truest, wildest instincts so that we become women who can finally look at ourselves and say: There She Is.

Untamed shows us how to be brave. As Glennon insists: The braver we are, the luckier we get.

message 2: by Caroline (last edited Jun 04, 2020 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Who's planning on joining in for the read this month? Give us a shout out here.

What are you looking forward to with this book?
What kind of book format are you using? Hardcover, e-book, audiobook?
Have you read anything else by the author or plan to?

I'm excited for this one, it's been on my tbr since I saw it come up on my feed. I love feminist writing, and I'm getting the gist that this has themes of how to expand beyond our own self-induced limitations.

I have an audio copy that I got from Libro.fm to support my local independent bookstore. Libro.fm is like a do-good Audible, you get three books for free if you open an account!

I haven't read anything else by the author, but I know she has two other books in the same type of genre. I'm hoping it doesn't tiptoe too closely into self-help, I find that learning about a subject or leaning into someone else's opinion is expansive enough without needing to tiptoe that line.

Helene | 34 comments I am loving this book. I have it on audible too. The way its written is beautiful and inspiring us all to be brave. To acknowledge who we really are, and to trust in ourselves.

I am only about half way in, but I so adore this book. Its one of those books you don't want to end.

I saw so many was reading it on instagram and I only ever saw people saying nice things about it, so I had to have it.

I haven't read anything else by the author either, but heard that its same type of genre too. I don't think I will be reading them now though, since I feel like this is a continuation of them.

message 4: by Elba (last edited Jun 06, 2020 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 51 comments Hi Well Read Ladies,

I just started Untamed and I am loving it. I like the memoir format and how honest Glennon is about her life's journey.

I am fortunate to have a hard cover format of the book with the beautiful cover. I am underlying the heck out of it. I love the shower as a mystical portal. It also ties in with my resent Franny and Zooey read by Salinger with the Buddhist/Christian mythology. I love how Literary Art is all interconnected. I also like that Glennon is a mother of a son. I have three boys and feel her accounts of boys vs girls right on target. I like that she draws the differences in the son and daughters in a positive light. Not all boys are anti feminists.

This is a great pick for this month. 50 pages in and I have fallen in love with Abby too. I am a huge women's soccer fan and I have tremendous respect for her achievements in the sport.

I look forward to reading along side you all and our discussions. I have not read anything else by the author, but I follow her on instagram and I love her approach to parenting, love and life. Thanks for reading my thoughts. Cheers!

Helene | 34 comments This is one book I’ll probably have to get a hard copy of too cause I would love to be able to underline loads of stuff. There are so many good points and I love her way of parenting her kids. The way she was talking about having a boy and realizing that she had prepared her girls to be whoever they wanted to be. And then realizing that with her boy she hadn’t thought he needed the same, but watching the news and seeing how men are also put into the category of being masculine and if they aren’t they are to feminine or wrong etc. I have never thought of it that way. I have two boys 8 and 11 and a girl 4 years old. And her chapter about racism is such a good chapter and fits so well with what is going on in America right now.

Feel like a total fan girl with this author but Glennon Doyle I am such a fan!

Helene | 34 comments I have just finished this book and I loved it so much. I love how Glennon is so unpolitically herself. How she doesn’t paint herself as better than anyone, but stays true to her flaws and her strengths. That she shows her growth and how she trusts herself more and listens to her own instincts (her knowing) now more than what she used to.

Don’t want to give away spoilers but it’s difficult to write about it here without giving away to much cause all the chapters are jumping around in time but still keeps it fluent I though to the story.

I loved how they let Trish find her strength in a sport that Glennon herself hasn’t played when they found her close to locking herself away in her room and thoughts, and that her and her X husband work together and has a good relationship for the kids.

I just hope more of you finish this soon so I can here what you all think

Elba (elbamaria) | 51 comments I just finished Untamed and I loved it. The fact that Glennon is so honest about herself is very appealing to me. I love how caring she is about her family and even her x-husband. The shower portal cracked me up. She tackles some difficult issues and shines a positive outlook by looking inward for answers and not pointing fingers at other people. Look forward to more discussion.

message 8: by Caroline (last edited Jun 15, 2020 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments Helene wrote: "This is one book I’ll probably have to get a hard copy of too cause I would love to be able to underline loads of stuff. There are so many good points and I love her way of parenting her kids. The ..."

“And now that we don’t have to be good, we can be free.”

I also really enjoyed this book! I love her message to women specifically and how she didn't "restart" her life but adjusted the path she wanted to be on and made her life "messy" beyond her twenties and thirties. So many people have the sentiment that you can't take on life because you've already set your path and that it's too late. I, too, enjoyed the knowing versus wanting, like most things in hindsight where we "knew" all along.

I listened to the audiobook also, but I wish I had a paper copy, I always feel like the paper copy melts into your brain a bit better, anyone else? :)

I liked how she explained how much she faltered throughout her life by listening to other's directives and how her self-talk and anger/apathy helped her in finding herself. The idea of our conditioning and being tamed is so relevant and so OBVIOUS that sometimes it is hard to remember just how "trained" we are as women. It is easy to keep 50% of humanity down when we're helping by putting ourselves and others down first.

Helene | 34 comments I agree. I also feel like the paper books somehow makes a bigger impact to you and I remember more. Plus then I can go crazy with my marker 😅

It’s so true that we are conditioned with the way women are supposed to fit into a role and if we don’t then we are wrong. And that she dared to change her way in life not at the beginning but later in life is truly brave and inspiring.

I found so many places in this book I want to highlight so I will probably have to invest in a hard copy.

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 138 comments How did everyone do this month? Are you still working on your copy or did you put it on hold for the month? Who else has finished - what is your final rating?

message 11: by Elba (last edited Jun 23, 2020 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 51 comments I finished Untamed a few days ago and just wanted to bask in the glow of the positivity. We can do hard things is a mantra in the book that really sticks with me. Also I found empowering that we can have different opinions about things and still be kind, loving and respectful. The differences in people and situations allows for growth in mind and spirit. I may enjoy something you don't. I am always interested in the different point of view. I find my mind is very open and I can learn oh...there is a different view...but still love my view.

Keeping our feelings and thoughts caged in is no way to live a true meaningful life. Like the cheetah, we all have a wildness inside of us and letting that deep knowing guide us is liberating. Being still with ourselves before acting is also a very zen analogy. As living beings we are always evolving and changing. Our past selves do not have to reflect our present selves.

I think Glennon is so honest and does not hold back on her past failings. Perfection does not last and we all fall short at some point. I also love how she is so loving to Abby and her ex and her children. Glennon is just one of those people whose inner light shines so bright and that can take a toll on the psyche. I could really relate on how she feels when she must put herself out in public. I often feel the same way and need to recoup after too much outings. Abby seems like the perfect balance for Glennon helping her off the ledge of anxiety. Thanks to the Well Read Ladies for the suggestion to read Untamed this month. I loved it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Untamed (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Glennon Doyle (other topics)