Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > July 2020 Classic Book Pool

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 28, 2020 12:56PM) (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | 335 comments Mod
July 2020 Classic Book Pool

Main task of this challenge is to read as many classic books in the pool during the month. One point will be rewarded for each book read in that month's book pool.

Start Date: July 1st
End Date: July 31st

Guidelines:
- When signing up, post three books to be put in the book pool.
- Only classic books (50+ years old) over 130 pages can be entered.
- One of any book read in the pool = One point.
- You will not received a point if you begin a book in the pool prior to the start date.
- No duplicates will be accepted.
- If you have any questions feel free to ask and happy reading.

Book Pool:

The Iliad by Homer The Sea Wolf by Jack London True Grit by Charles Portis The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo Moby-Dick or, the Whale by Herman Melville The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain Animal Farm by George Orwell The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) by L. Frank Baum Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Turnabout by Smith Thorne Kabloona by Gontran De Poncins Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3) by Gordon R. Dickson Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

1 - The Iliad by Homer
2 - The Sea Wolf by Jack London
3 - True Grit by Charles Portis
4 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
5 - Moby Dick by Herman Melville
6 - The Prince & the Pauper by Mark Twain
7 - Animal Farm by George Orwell
8 - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
9 - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
10 - Turnabouts by Thorne Smith
11 - Kabloona by Gontran De Poncins
12 - Soldier, Ask Not by Gordon R. Dickson
13 - Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
14 - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
15 - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Participants & Total Read:
Sarah - 6
April - 2
Morgan - 2
Diana S. -
Jo -

message 2: by April (new)

April | 92 comments I look forward to July's Classic Book Pool challenge. Here are the three books I wish to add to the pool:

The Iliad - Homer
The Sea Wolf - Jack London
True Grit - Charles Portis

message 3: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 68 comments This is my first time with this challenge so looking forward to see how it goes.
Here are my picks:

Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Morgan wrote: "This is my first time with this challenge so looking forward to see how it goes.
Here are my picks:.."

I love all of these picks! Updated.

message 5: by Diana S (last edited Jun 15, 2020 07:44PM) (new)

Diana S | 5 comments This sounds like fun! :D
Here are my 3 picks:

Animal Farm by George Orwell Animal Farm by George Orwell

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) by L. Frank Baum The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Jun 16, 2020 06:12AM) (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments This does sound like fun! I'll try to read as many of the books that I can find or have access to.

Here are my 3 picks - I'm picking books hopefully you have not already read:

1. Turnabout by Thorne Smith (1931)
2. Kabloona by Gontrande Poncins (1941)
3. Soldier, Ask Not by Gordon A. Dickson (1967 - the novella the novel was based on won the Hugo Award)

Turnabout by Thorne Smith
Kabloona by Gontran De Poncins Soldier, Ask Not (Dorsai/Childe Cycle) by Gordon R. Dickson

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Young This sounds like fun! :)

1. Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery
2. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
3. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Jun 30, 2020 06:02PM) (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I'm looking forward to reading these books and I have a copy of some of them too, like Jane Eyre and I think I have Anne of Green gables too.

But what are the points for?? I'm just here to read books..😁

Oh are we supposed to write our thoughts about the book here too??

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I'm starting on Wuthering Heights today. I never read this before so I'm curious what it's about.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Sarah wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading these books and I have a copy of some of them too, like Jane Eyre and I think I have Anne of Green gables too.

But what are the points for?? I'm just here to read b..."

The points are just to see who reads the most books from the book pool. So when you finish a book from the pool in July, just post here what book and day you ended up finishing.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments Today I've finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Finished July 4

message 12: by April (new)

April | 92 comments I finished True Grit by Charles Portis on July 3.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I've finished reading Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3) by Gordon R. Dickson

Soldier Ask Not by Gordon R..Dickson
Finished July 4th

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

I will update points tomorrow.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I've just finished reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain which I have absolutely loved! This was also my first time reading this book.

Finished July 8, 2020

message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 68 comments Sarah I am also reading it and I'm enjoying it so far!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Sarah wrote: "I've just finished reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain which I have absolutely loved! This was also my first time reading this book.

Fini..."

I havent read this since I was a child. I remember absolutely loving it.

message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 68 comments The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
Finished July 9, 2020

I gave it three starts because I enjoyed it, but the windy language was hard for me to continue reading for a while and I had to take breaks. The plot and characterizations were great.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I've finished two more books today from the book Pool:

True Grit by Charles Portis
Read July 19

Turnabout by Thorne Smith
Read July 19

Turnabout by Thorne Smith True Grit by Charles Portis

I've read True Grit inside of a single day and I was very hooked on the story... although I did find it a bit sad (and did Mattie find it worthwhile in the end??)... One of my favorite characters was Little Blackie.

And I found Turnabout really funny..it was wild and outrageous! Laugh out loud funny! I didn't know books from the 1930s could be like this.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Updated! 11 days left.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Updated! 11 days left."
I've started reading another book in the pool today..😁

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Sarah wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Updated! 11 days left."
I've started reading another book in the pool today..😁"

Love to hear it!

message 23: by April (new)

April | 92 comments Finished The Iliad 😊

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments How did you like True Grit, April? I found it to be a very quick read and somewhat sad.

I'm reading Little Women at the moment but I think I might read the Iliad next... Hopefully I can make good progress on Little Women today..I've never read any of these books before except for Animal Farm which we read in middle School.

message 25: by April (new)

April | 92 comments Sarah wrote: "How did you like True Grit, April? I found it to be a very quick read and somewhat sad.

I'm reading Little Women at the moment but I think I might read the Iliad next... Hopefully I can make good..."

I did go into the book with some worry that I may not like it but I enjoyed True Grit. It was a quick read for me. I enjoyed following the characters on their journey.
Little Blackie! (That's all I'll say about that)
Also, It was interesting to see the young Mattie during her adventure as well as the Mattie after all that happened at the end of the book.

I hope you enjoy Little Women

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 68 comments I am also currently reading Little Women and it's one of my favorites! This was a good pool, I only read about half of them before.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I'm about 60 percent done with Little Women and I hope to finish it tomorrow so I can start on another book in the pool...plus I still plan on reading my PIFM book too.. so far I'm enjoying Little Women, which I wasn't too sure if I would or not..

Yes... Little Blackie! 🐎 As an equestrian Little Blackie reminded me of a horse I know named Rio. I'm sure they are nothing alike really but for some reason it made me think of him. I really don't think it was fair what happened. Maybe if Mattie had used more common sense she could have been ... Happier with Little Blackie? Revenge is not always worth it. Because it comes with a price.. so I say pick the horse over revenge! Horses can offer great healing powers if you let them. It's why they use them in therapy.

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Jul 22, 2020 06:01PM) (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I've just finished reading: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
July 22 2020

I read this 491 page book in 3 days. Luckily I found it a rather easy read and parts of it was interesting. It didn't exactly go the way I thought it would so there were a few surprises in it for me..

I guess I find myself the most like Jo of the 4 sisters.

I'll start another book from the Pool now... 😁

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments Today I have read 2 more books from the Pool!

Animal Farm by George Orwell
July 23, 2020

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
July 23, 2020

Animal Farm by George Orwell The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

I have read both of these books before as a kid but haven't read either for decades.. I still love Animal Farm.. especially the song in it "Beasts of England".. I read the book first in 7th grade and I loved the song so much I had chosen to memorize it on my own. 😁 And as for the Wizard of Oz I realize there were chunks of the story I had totally forgotten about! I had never cared for the movie version (yeah, I know everyone is supposed to love it) because I first saw it as a little kid and the scene of the evil witch in that tornado really scared me bad! So that fright just turned me off of the entire movie and I still dislike it to this day! But reading the book is not bad.. luckily I have aphantasia!!

Anyway 2 more books for the pool read! 😊

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 90 comments I've started on the Iliad now! 😁

message 31: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 68 comments Finished Little Women! Truly one of the best books of literature I ever read. I watched the 1994 movie last night and that helped bring the characters alive in the novel.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Thank you to all the participants!
And Congrats to Sarah for reading a total of 6 books from the pool this month.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.