Buddy Reads w./ Julia Sapphire discussion

If It Bleeds
This topic is about If It Bleeds
If It Bleeds > Story Four: Rat

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia Sapphire (juliasapphire) | 45 comments Mod
A section to discuss the final story!

Clare Kelsey | 6 comments While I enjoyed Rat, I found the protagonist Drew to be a very typical and even unoriginal Stephen King character. A struggling author who distances himself from his family - I mean come on haha. However, I loved the concept of the story and the character of the rat... I'll just leave it at that so not to spoil too much!
Also this quote was perfect for the end of the story: "You knew I was a rat when you took me in."

ReadingWithZee (zwolfpack) | 5 comments *spoilers*
I just finished this last story. Very interesting and plain compared to King’s other novels. I did appreciate King’s take on the struggles of a writer. I am not a writer; however, being a student pursuing an English degree (I just graduated btw!) over the last 4 years, there were times when writing was impossible. However, with the rat of the novel, it is interesting how King used it as a tool to trick Drew into believing he himself finished the novel. It adds to the irony that Drew needed to finish a novel during his lifetime, but it was not wholly his own story. That dissatisfaction and the feeling of accomplishment go against each other and idk how I feel about it if I’m honest. Overall, the short stories were entertaining to read. My favorite is If It Bleeds due to the connection with Mr. Mercedes. Thank you so much Julia for this read-a-thon! It was a great one to participate in and I hope this can happen again with future King books??

Clare wrote: "While I enjoyed Rat, I found the protagonist Drew to be a very typical and even unoriginal Stephen King character. A struggling author who distances himself from his family - I mean come on haha. H..."

Hi Clare! I agree that Drew was a very typical King character. But for sure, the writer who distances himself is often seen throughout King's work. I quite liked the setting in this story and it very much gave me "Misery" vibes.

ReadingWithZee wrote: "*spoilers*
I just finished this last story. Very interesting and plain compared to King’s other novels. I did appreciate King’s take on the struggles of a writer. I am not a writer; however, being ..."

First off congrats on graduating!! That's super exciting :)
Ouuu I really loved hearing your thoughts throughout this month on all the stories! If It Bleeds was I think my favourite too haha. I've been thinking about doing another one so maybe I will put a poll up to see what everyone is interested in reading :)