Buddy Reads w./ Julia Sapphire discussion

If It Bleeds
This topic is about If It Bleeds
If It Bleeds > Story Two: The Life of Chuck

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia Sapphire (juliasapphire) | 45 comments Mod
In this section we will be discussing the second story "The Life of Chuck".

Clare Kelsey | 6 comments *spoiler warning*
This was an odd story that was interestingly divided up into three acts and told backwards. After reading the first section, I would not have guessed the turn that the story would take in the next two sections.
At first, I took the story literally and was confused with what the world ending had to do with the rest of the story. Then I remembered Chuck's son saying, "dad's world is dying" and Chapter 5 in Act I. This was the chapter where Chuck had a conversation with his school teacher. The quote they discussed in class was, "I contain multitudes." The world in Chuck's head began dying as he did. The world Chuck created seems to be the main theme of the story, and I can't quite fit in the cupola that shows the ghosts of the living. I'm probably overthinking it and it's just a Stephen King oddity.

ReadingWithZee (zwolfpack) | 5 comments This chapter was very interesting, in that, King told the story backwards. I liked how it was apocalyptic and later it reflected how Chuck’s life was ending. The cupola scene was a head scratcher because it can mean many different things. His grandfather said it contained ghosts and I believe that it shows a death that has yet to happen that is unavoidable. His grandfather saw Henry Peterson’s “ghost” and it was later explained that he committed suicide. Overall, I enjoyed the story and how it was told backwards. King’s unique take on death in the first scene was intense because I do live in California. So reading the scenes of destruction gave me some chills. I can’t wait to read the next stories!

Clare wrote: "*spoiler warning*
This was an odd story that was interestingly divided up into three acts and told backwards. After reading the first section, I would not have guessed the turn that the story would..."

Hi Clare!! I thought it was interesting as well the way the short story was told. The cupola can probably be interpreted so many ways so I feel you on the overthinking aspect.

ReadingWithZee wrote: "This chapter was very interesting, in that, King told the story backwards. I liked how it was apocalyptic and later it reflected how Chuck’s life was ending. The cupola scene was a head scratcher b..."

Hi Zee :) I agree that that cupola scene can be interpreted in so many ways. I liked the way the story was told as well, King always offers interesting perspectives on death. Hope you enjoy the next ones!

Laura (laurajr) | 3 comments this story confused me. I liked how it was told it was told backwards and in the end I did enjoy it.