Play Book Tag discussion

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
This topic is about Lamb
May 2020: Comedy > Lamb - Christopher Moore - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2224 comments Lamb is written from the perspective of Biff, Christ’s childhood pal. He is resurrected to the present day to fill in the missing thirty year gap in the “traditional” Gospels. You won’t find the name Jesus mentioned a lot, because Biff quickly points out that Jesus is the Greek version of his name, Joshua. The book takes us on the collective journey of Joshua and Levi, who is called Biff, and does so hilariously. Biff is a colorful wise guy, always ready with a one-liner. When he and Joshua grew up together his streetwise ways and fast thinking frequently protected his naive, excessively honest friend. When Joshua decides to seek out the three wise men who attended his birth, hoping they can teach him how to be a proper Messiah, Biff tags along to protect the hapless idealist. Together, they travel to China and India, where Joshua learns the secrets of Buddhist thought and Hindu asceticism, while Biff learns sexual technique, martial arts, sleight of hand, and how to make explosives.

Biff is a fantastic character and one who is smart and witty without seeming to try too hard. He plays a great right hand man to the young Christ, who himself is incredibly entertaining. Their friendship seems so true and genuine that the last chapter in itself was very emotional. Their journey from childhood through the crucifixion is entertaining and fresh, and the author puts an interesting spin on everything. It’s obvious Moore did a great deal of research in order to write this book. In the Afterword, Moore describes the process including the research and work that actually went into it.

The dialogue within the book is clever and smart. Before reading this book I was completely unaware that the "H" in Jesus H. Christ stood for Hallowed. I thought certain parts of it got a bit long-winded, but overall Lamb is a very enjoyable book.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited May 21, 2020 04:00PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5580 comments Great review. I bought this, or a different book by the same author for my son without knowing anything about it. I think a bookstore employee suggested this author for his "irreverence."