Skokie Public Library discussion

To Drink and To Eat: New Edition
This topic is about To Drink and To Eat
To Drink and to Eat Discussion > Question 3: Translation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Breyne | 450 comments Mod
This book has been translated from French - was anything "lost in translation" for you?

Becca Boland | 690 comments Mod
I think a lot of the humor was lost on me. Especially the "tips" between chapters. Some of them made sense. But others went right over my head. Also, I think there are some types of food/ways of serving food that are more common in France?

Allyson | 155 comments Yes-- the spiralizer part was pretty funny but I found myself confounded by the Pepe Roni parts-- like, wait, what? I wonder if some of it is lost in translation or I'm not a well versed chef? Or like you said, Becca, some types of foods or ways of serving food that aren't as common here.

The whole Jean Fera (fera being the fish and Jean Ferrat being the singer) thing was lost on me. I had to google both of the things. I also had to google black radishes.

Diana La Cazadora (strawberrykiss) | 156 comments I found the humor to be what I think of as "European". There was a joke about trusting a recipe from someone who has colon cancer and I remember thinking that was way
harsh! The Fera fish joke was also something I chalked up to just not getting as intended. There was one mis-translation of shallots for scallops, but I thought it was overall successful and enjoyed it.

That's a really good point. It might not have been a translation thing - it might just have fully been over my head.

message 7: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Wachter | 19 comments The small comics with the puns seemed to be a bit lost in translation to me. Like "don't confuse x with y"

Joe - that's what I meant by the "tips" - yes!