Play Book Tag discussion

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
This topic is about Born Standing Up
May 2020: Comedy > Born Standing Up - Steve Martin (4 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1360 comments Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life - Steve Martin

4 1/2 stars

Born Standing Up is Steve Martin's memoir about how he went from a teenager working at a magic store in Disneyland to one of the most successful stand up comedians. Although he does touch upon his family growing up and some of the women he dated, this book is not so much about his personal life as much as his professional life. Martin came across to me as honest, sincere, and a genuinely nice person. He really did not have anything bad to say about people and he humbly gave a lot of credit to those who helped, mentored and inspired him along the way. To my relief, Martin was able to avoid most of the hard drugs and partying that destroyed other famous comedians. He was a hard worker, who built his act deliberately with a lot of time and effort. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in comedy or a career in show business.

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1081 comments I loved Steve Martin's stories of his early days in comedy. After reading this book I looked up some of his old Smothers Brothers performances on YouTube.

He started out early as a magician at Disney Land. By the time he was performing fairly regularly on the Smothers Brothers he had a "bad magician" act that was pretty funny. You can definitely see the genesis of a lot of his later work.

There are a bunch of his Smothers Brothers clips on YouTube. Here's a link to one: https://youtu.be/E2enXNShLl0

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I like this book. I find it interesting that in his personal life he is not the goofball he is on stage and in movies. (from what I've seen, read, and heard)

I like Steve Martin and really enjoyed this book.