Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Rainbow Riddle
This topic is about The Rainbow Riddle
#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 9: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1075 comments Mod
Chapter 9: Rainbow Over Niagara

“Your friend , Mr. Trent, didn't pay much attention to our clues did he?“ Judy commented as they left the Blue Kitchen after having lunch together. “How could he, Angel, He was paying attention to you. He wanted to hear all about the wedding.” “If he was so interested, why didn't he come? He was invited.” Peter explains that he was on assignment, when Judy tells him the explosion was only yesterday, he told Judy that there had been other explosions. He asked Judy if she noticed that Mr. Trent kept glancing toward the door. “Now that you speak of it, I did.” Judy admitted. “And he kept asking us such odd questions like did we have any enemies. You'd almost think he was expecting someone to come in and bop us over the head.” “No doubt he was,” Peter was keeping his eyes on the car ahead. “Mr. Trent kept talking as if we were in danger and yet I never felt happier and safer in my life.” Judy moved closer to her husband and snuggled against his shoulder. “Why last night at the Green Gables I wasn't afraid and if anything had been going to happen to us, it would have happened there. How does Mr. Trent figure this thing out?” “That depends on how much he learned from what I told him --I mean Roberta’s story. Mr. Trent didn't miss a single detail of it.” “Well I did,” retorted Judy, “ I missed hearing your version altogether. At that strategic point you had to suggest that I powder my nose.” “It was shiny,” Peter said innocently. (I love that) Judy wrinkled the object in question at him and Peter told her that he wanted to discuss a certain package with Mr. Trent . Peter is not at all certain that it was from Dale and Irene. “It was Dale’s handwriting,” declared Judy. “I'd know his bold backhand anywhere.” “You're sure?” “ Positive!” Judy guesses that the box Roberta had with her was a box for flowers. Peter thinks he should have stayed and searched. Judy tells him she is glad he didn't keep her in suspense. “You can't imagine what I thought!” “Perhaps I can imagine,” he said quietly. “Perhaps Mr. Trent can too. It could be that ’s the reason he seemed more interested in Roberta than he did in those clues we collected. The name Griggs apparently means something to him. I could tell by the way his eyes lighted up when you told him that was Roberta’s last name.” “I told him it was Roberta’s aunt’s last name,” objected Judy. 'I'm not sure whether it is her name or not. I never asked her,” This seemed funny to both of them and they both laughed.

Soon Peter stopped the car and said “You can hear the roar of the Falls from here. Do you want to walk the rest of the way?” “I'm so happy” she told Peter over and over. She was able to erase everything else from the mystery out of her mind. Occasionally a cloud of anxiety crossed Peter’s face, but Judy scarcely noticed it. They reached the Falls and were surprised to find themselves looking at them through a heavy mist. The sun was shining but the spray from the Falls fell on them like fine rain. “We could use an umbrella,” laughed Judy as they came closer, “Oh. Peter!” For a moment Judy’s heart was too full of ecstasy to say anything more. She and Peter just stood there holding each other’s hands and looking over the rail at the awe inspiring cascade of falling water almost at their feet. Across on the Canadian side, the view was even more magnificent. It wasn't just the Falls, although they were breath-takingly beautiful. It was the colors of the mist above them. “Peter, I knew it would be lovely,” Judy had to raise her voice above the roar of the Falls. “But nobody,” she shouted, ”ever thought to tell me about the rainbows.” “They are there almost constantly,” Peter shouted back, “ that is, when the sun is shining. The rainbows are reflected from the sun’s rays shining through the mist.” “Is this your surprise, Peter?” He nodded. “Do you like it? ” “Like it!” Judy exclaimed. “Peter, I love it. Nobody but you would have thought of surprising me with rainbows.” They enjoyed them for another minute and then Peter suggested going down into the Cave of the Winds right under the Falls. Judy was delighted. As they walked away Judy told Peter that she was becoming superstitious about rainbows and that whenever she saw one some unexpected happiness would be coming her way. She noted the rainbows at the wedding and now over the Falls. As she looked back at the rainbow she said she still didn't see 7 colors. Peter agrees that there are only 6 and asked where she got the idea there were 7. She says the dictionary and says they had to use 2 shades of blue for the wedding to make the rainbow. “That is why I thought it was so strange when Roberta came out with that story about the man who said you and I knew too much about the rainbow ring.“ “What story was that? I don't believe you told me all of it.” “Didn't I? I thought I did. Apparently somebody visited Roberta’s aunt and threatened to blow me up with a radio of all things, because I was on the trail of the rainbow ring. That’s why she warned me about the package. I don't suppose we'll ever know exactly what was in Roberta’s mind when she told a story like that,” Peter’s eyes narrowed. “We'll know. We'll make it our business to find out..” His voice was explosive. She didn't ask why because at that moment the elevator arrived. It was to take them down to the Cave of the Winds. But first the passengers were provided with rubber raincoats. Several of them, Judy overheard were newlyweds. It was exciting, almost terrifying to stand right back of the Falls and realize that a cataract was falling directly overhead. Looking out through the spray, Judy again glimpsed the rainbows. “Unexpected happiness,” she whispered. Peter asked what she said and she answered that no one had a right to be that happy as she was. An echo came back from the Cave of the Winds. Judy moved closer to Peter but his raincoat was too slippery to be comforting. She laughed and put her hands out into the mist from the Falls. It was fun. Everything they did for the rest of the day was fun. Afterwards, when Judy looked back on her honeymoon, she marveled that she and Peter could have been so carefree when danger had come so close. Peter saw it in his more serious moments. “This is our honeymoon,” she reminded him when she caught him looking worried. ”I wouldn't let anything, even a mystery, spoil it. Most of our mysteries have been fun anyway. Maybe the next place on Mr. Trent’s list will be an exciting as Green Gables. Wouldn't you like that, Peter?” “There is such a thing as too much excitement,” he commented dryly. “I hope the next place is nothing but the quiet mountain resort that it is supposed to be.”

The reached the resort early the following evening. It was set in a beautifully landscaped slope in the Adirondack Mountains. An electric sign over the curving driveway spelled out the two words “Indigo Inn” . “Well, what do you think of it? Peter asked. “I don't know,” Judy said slowly. “Indigo Inn. That’s funny. We stayed at Green Gables the night before last. We met Mr. Trent at The Blue Kitchen and now we come to a place called the Indigo Inn. Before we stay here I'd like to drive on to the next town. Do you think a library will be open?” Peter looked puzzled, “The library?“ “ Yes it is only 8:00 and most libraries are open in the evening. It’s quite a drive to the next town,” Peter was studying the road map. “There'll be something to read at the inn if you have a sudden yen for books--” “There mightn't be. I don't want to read a book anyway I want to look up something in the dictionary. I think we have just stumbled on to an important clue!” The reached the resort early the following evening. It was set in a beautifully landscaped slope in the Adirondack Mountains. An electric sign over the curving driveway spelled out the two words “Indigo Inn” . “Well, what do you think of it? Peter asked. “I don't know,” Judy said slowly. “Indigo Inn. That’s funny. We stayed at Green Gables the night before last. We met Mr. Trent at The Blue Kitchen and now we come to a place called the Indigo Inn. Before we stay here I'd like to drive on to the next town. Do you think a library will be open?” Peter looked puzzled, “The library?“ “ Yes it is only 8:00 and most libraries are open in the evening. It’s quite a drive to the next town,” Peter was studying the road map. “There'll be something to read at the inn if you have a sudden yen for books--” “There mightn't be. I don't want to read a book anyway I want to look up something in the dictionary. I think we have just stumbled on to an important clue!”

Judy is having the perfect honeymoon for her; as a girl sleuth, she is investigating a mystery while spending a lot of time with her cherished groom.

I wish Peter would have been permitted to have a stronger role in the series and investigated mysteries alongside Judy. Margaret Sutton had to comply with the publisher's wishes that Judy mostly solo sleuth or with a girl chum. The same publisher soon eliminated Roberta from the series. I think the series would have been stronger if Margaret didn't have to compromise on these two issues. Of course, if she had not, perhaps "Judy Bolton" would have ended with the book before her marriage!

I also would have liked David Trent to appear more frequently in the series. His character wasn't fully developed, but he could have been a greater ally of Judy.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments William wrote: "Chapter 9: Rainbow Over Niagara

“Soon Peter stopped the car and said “You can hear the roar of the Falls from here. Do you want to walk the rest of the way?” “I'm so happy” she told Peter over and over. She was able to erase everything else from the mystery out of her mind. Occasionally a cloud of anxiety crossed Peter’s face, but Judy scarcely noticed it. They reached the Falls and were surprised to find themselves looking at them through a heavy mist. The sun was shining but the spray from the Falls fell on them like fine rain. “We could use an umbrella,” laughed Judy as they came closer, “Oh. Peter!” For a moment Judy’s heart was too full of ecstasy to say anything more. She and Peter just stood there holding each other’s hands and looking over the rail at the awe inspiring cascade of falling water almost at their feet. Across on the Canadian side, the view was even more magnificent. ."

This passage means so much more now that I have visited Niagara Falls. I wish I had taken Rainbow Riddle to read in the hotel at night. I probably won't return, but If I do, I hope I remember to take this book with me.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 512 comments We're so lucky today not to have to go to a library to research a subject. All the information in the world, at least most of what we need, is right on our phone. What a blessing!

message 5: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
"But first the passengers were provided with rubber raincoats." This line about raincoats would have to be changed if the books were updated as they have been using plastic coats. A lot of people leave them in the bins provided but, I liked keeping my raincoats. I believe they are rubber in the movie with Marilyn Monroe, "Niagara."

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 169 comments Rebekah wrote: "We're so lucky today not to have to go to a library to research a subject. All the information in the world, at least most of what we need, is right on our phone. What a blessing!"

When I think of all the time I spent in the library-looking up articles and finding the journal they were bound in...Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature! The bible of research back in the old days

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 512 comments Cindy wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "We're so lucky today not to have to go to a library to research a subject. All the information in the world, at least most of what we need, is right on our phone. What a blessing!"
..."

It was very difficult. Don't get me wrong. I loved the library and still do. but if something from a book intrigues me and I want to learn more, or I have to look up a quick fact, the internet is a god-send.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments Rachelle wrote: ""But first the passengers were provided with rubber raincoats." This line about raincoats would have to be changed if the books were updated as they have been using plastic coats. A lot of people leave them in the bins provided but, I liked keeping my raincoats. "
I don't think we were given the option of keeping our raincoats in 2014.

message 9: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I was going to mention the movie Niagara with Marilyn Monroe. I see Rachelle did. If you ever get a chance to watch it, it gives a great representation of Niagara Falls. I love the movie.

When I did the summary for this book, I went to the downtown Buffalo library to look up old phone books. I wanted to see if there really was a Blue Kitchen. I didn't see one though I don't think they had a book for every year.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments Thank you for searching the phone books for us, Faye.
Beverly

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I wanted to find it so badly. But i did find the address of the Gurley candle company and I was excited about that. Many people probably do not know what that is but I bet everyone here would remember them from their childhood. They are the old fashioned Christmas and other holiday candles that are in shapes like choir boy or choir girls, angels, Santas, Christmas trees etc and some Thanksgiving pilgrims etc. They were sold in 5 &10 cent stores, I have many of them and they have the price on the bottom, they were very inexpensive and many are still around in antique stores. Beverly put one in The Strange Likeness.

Interesting information about the Gurley candle company, Faye. I don't remember having Christmas themed candles in our home growing up, but then my mother didn't have a lot of Christmas decorations. With five sons, I think we accidentally broke more ornaments than kept when we tried to help her decorate the tree. We were hard on stuff!

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments Faye wrote: "I wanted to find it so badly. But i did find the address of the Gurley candle company and I was excited about that. Many people probably do not know what that is but I bet everyone here would remem.. Beverly put one in The Strange Likeness. ."

Actually, the Gurley candle was in The Mystery On Judy Lane, which is also set at Christmas time. The candles were manufactured the year Judy Lane is set. Faye also makes an appearance in that book as well others who posted regularly on the Judy Bolton Yahoo site.

Beverly wrote: <>

I smiled when I recognized the names of members on this group who appeared in the book.

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments I bet your are one of the few who have been here long enough to recognize them all. Maybe next Christmas I will have another trivia contest. One of the questions is naming the fan appearances. I just went back and checked and six members took the time to be a part of Judy Lane.

Beverly wrote: "I bet your are one of the few who have been here long enough to recognize them all. Maybe next Christmas I will have another trivia contest. One of the questions is naming the fan appearances. I ju..."

I did recognize all the names in "Judy Lane," Beverly. I'm not sure what year I joined JudyBoltonFans, but I'll bet it's been about 18 years!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments ,I would be so honored if A author use my name book.How fun That must have been for each of you named.Hugs Judy

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments This time I talked to my post.And it's still messed up. LOL

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 169 comments Judy wrote: ",I would be so honored if A author use my name book.How fun That must have been for each of you named.Hugs Judy"

It was the greatest honor ever!

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments It was the greatest honor ever!"

Cindy also helped with the manuscript and artwork. And, I had three "based on real events" in Judy Lane and Cindy contributed another. Cindy in Judy Lane has a secret ingredient for chocolate chip cookies, the same as our real Cindy. Of course, Judy kept her promise and did not tell her fans what it was.

Beverly wrote: << ... Cindy in Judy Lane has a secret ingredient for chocolate chip cookies, the same as our real Cindy. Of course, Judy kept her promise and did not tell her fans what it was.>>

Now I'm curious, or is it just plain nosy? I wonder what the secret ingredient for Cindy's chocolate chip cookies is? (An aside: I truly love chocolate chip cookies. They are my favourites).

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments That is Cindy's secret.

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 816 comments And now Judy's secret

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 169 comments Orange juice

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments What's the secret Cindy?

Cindy wrote: "Orange juice"

I never would have guessed that as the secret ingredient! How much orange juice might you add to a recipe for three dozen cookies? What does the added addition of this ingredient do for the cookies? (An aside: I'm all in favour of anything that might make a great chocolate chip cookie taste even better!)

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 169 comments Well, the recipe calls for orange rind, but I didn't have any so I added juice. It makes them a speck softer and just gives a hint of extra flavor. I'd say a quarter to a third of cup? I don't measure.

Cindy wrote: "Well, the recipe calls for orange rind, but I didn't have any so I added juice. It makes them a speck softer and just gives a hint of extra flavor. I'd say a quarter to a third of cup? I don't meas..."

That's amazing, Cindy! I never would have thought to add orange juice when I didn't have orange rind! Some people are amazing cooks and bakers; you obviously fall into that group!

message 29: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments Beverly wrote: "Faye wrote: "I wanted to find it so badly. But I did find the address of the Gurley candle company and I was excited about that. Many people probably do not know what that is but I bet everyone her..."

That was very careless of me to get the book wrong. I must have been in a hurry when I typed that.

message 30: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments Cindy wrote: "Orange juice"

I would have never thought to put oj in cookies.

Chocolate and orange go well together and I love orange chocolate. I used to use orange juice instead of water when I baked white or yellow cakes from a mix but now I always make cake and frosting from scratch.

J. Michael | 130 comments Faye wrote: "When I did the summary for this book, I went to the downtown Buffalo library to look up old phone books. I wanted to see if there really was a Blue Kitchen. I didn't see one though I don't think they had a book for every year."

That was very clever of you, Faye! Kudos to you for having the idea and then taking the initiative to follow up on it.

Like you, I also loved the passage in which Peter tells Judy in an innocent tone of voice that her nose was shiny, and she wrinkles the object in question at him. Margaret deftly blends some sweet and funny moments with the mystery in this chapter. That scene behind the cataract when Judy stretches her hands out into the falling water is nice.