Play Book Tag discussion

Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
This topic is about Neverwhere
May 2020: Comedy > [Poll Ballot] Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1032 comments I listened to the audio. Narrated by the author, the audio version was wonderful!

Neverwhere is pure urban fantasy meets heroic saga. Like most of Gaiman's books, there is an overarching impossible quest, which is made up of many impossible tasks. There are reluctant heroes, damsels in distress, good and evil, double and triple crossing, and outright betrayal. There is also some pretty graphic violence.

Gaiman builds an amazing world "London Below" which co-exists with current modern-day London and is populated by everything from humans to the monster under the bed, and everything in between.

Definitely a good read.

annapi | 4909 comments I liked this one okay but I was a bit disappointed - I was expecting more and it lacked something for me, so I gave it 3 stars.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1032 comments Annapi - I agree the plot is thin. After reading a few of Gaiman's books, I think they all have essentially the exact same plot.

I do love his world-building though, and with Gaiman narrating the audio I really felt immersed in the atmosphere of London Below. I think otherwise I probably would have gone for 3 stars as well.