The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.4 - Wayne's Task: Brockian Ultra-Cricket

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2020 12:41PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
30.4 - Wayne's task: Brockian Ultra-Cricket

When I was preparing my task for the Spring Challenge, I was eagerly awaiting the start of the baseball season. Things didn't turn out the way I had planned! (The last I heard is that they're aiming to start the season on July 4.) So I've been watching cricket. Of course, the games are all reruns, but since I only started watching cricket less than a year ago, most of the time, I don't know who's going to win.
I've decided to design my task around the form of cricket that is popular in the Higher Dimensions, Brockian Ultra-Cricket.

This is a two-book task. Read one book from two different options. REQUIRED: State in your post the options you used.
Books with an MPG of Childrens, Children or Kids may NOT be used for this task.

Option 1: Although the rules of Brockian Ultra-Cricket appear to be quite easy to explain, they are actually extremely complicated. In fact, the only time the rules were combined into a single volume, it underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole.

Read a book with Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy as an MPG

Option 2: Brockian Ultra-Cricket is played with the use of a variety of gaming or sporting equipment, all of which can be used can be used to take a good swing with. Each player takes one piece of equipment.

Read a book that has a piece of sporting or gaming equipment on the cover. This piece of equipment must be something that can be used as a club. For example, baseball bats, hockey sticks or pool cues work, but baseball gloves, ice skates or pool balls do not.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post and specify the equipment.

Option 3: Start swinging! The object is to strike a member of the opposing team as hard as you can with whatever you've got. Upon scoring a "hit", the player then runs away to a safe distance and apologizes. Apologies should be sincere, concise and, for maximum clarity and points, delivered through a megaphone.

Read a book that has all the letters in either APOLOGIZE or SORRY in the book's title/subtitle. Letters can only be used as often as they appear.

Option 4: Although Brockian Ultra-Cricket has become very popular in the Higher Dimensions, it rarely gets played as most of the teams are in a state of permanent warfare due to disagreements over their interpretations of the rules. I believe that Rule 6, which states that "the winning team shall be the first team that wins," causes most of the problems.

Read a book from the Excellent Space Opera list.
REQUIRED: State the page where you found the book

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Can I have Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution verified for Physics?

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 652 comments Will this work for option 2? The 1969 Cubs Long Remembered - Not Forgottten by Fergie Jenkins

There is a bat, but there is also a ball.

Thank you.

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3928 comments Would you accept this shadow for option 2? Final Round by William Bernhardt (golf club)

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Can I get Astrophysics for People in a Hurry approved for the physics genre? It's listed last on the MPG list so I'm afraid it will drop off.

message 8: by ♞ Pat (last edited May 25, 2020 08:47AM) (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments It may be a stretch --

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

Sport = Horse Racing
Jockey is holding a whip (in horse jargon, known as a bat : see 3C)
One bat per jockey. It's held in the hand. It's used in a swinging motion. It makes contact with the horse to increase his drive to win.

Will it work for option 2?

I'm trying to read books that I put on my Spring SRC list that I didn't get finished. There aren't many, but this is one of them.

message 9: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments Wayne wrote: "♞ Pat wrote: "It may be a stretch --

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

Sport = Horse Racing
Jockey is holding a whip (in horse jargon, known as a bat : see 3C)

No, I'm afraid I can't let this on..."

That's ok. I knew it was probably a reach. Thanks for the task suggestion! I think that'll work fine for me.

And I'll keep looking for something to fit this one. ;-)

message 10: by Trish (last edited Jun 01, 2020 02:55AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Having just reread the trilogy of six, I love the task.

message 11: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1310 comments Will this work for Option 2 -- a baseball bat over his shoulder? Swing by Kwame Alexander

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 659 comments Would this work for Option 2?:
We Ride Upon Sticks by Quan Barry

They're supposed to be field hockey sticks on the cover.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1531 comments As a cricket lover, I just wanted to say thank you for making me laugh uproariously in these trying times :)

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex | 218 comments Will this work for Option 2?

40 Love by Madeleine Wickham

Tennis racquet?

Thanks!

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex | 218 comments Awesome! How fun. Thank you!