Seasons of Reading Readathons discussion

Summer Readathons > Sci-Fi Summer 2020

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Elyse (last edited Jul 02, 2020 05:31AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments I am excited and I have created my TBR. It's pretty simple. Edit: I've made it less simple. lol

E-Book
Archangel (Spectre War, #2) by Margaret Fortune
Audio
Provenance (Imperial Radch) by Ann Leckie
Physical
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Dove Alight (Dove Chronicles, #3) by Karen Bao

Read
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells (re-read) Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao (re-read) Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2) by Joss Whedon The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3) by Joss Whedon Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4) by Zack Whedon Serenity No Power in the 'Verse by Chris Roberson Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4) by Martha Wells Dove Exiled (Dove Chronicles, #2) by Karen Bao Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Listened
Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2) by James S.A. Corey Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3) by James S.A. Corey Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5) by Martha Wells

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 5 comments Here's my planned pile!

Books I got from the public library before it closed in March:
The Seep by Chana Porter Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi The Vanished Birds by Simon Jimenez Escaping Exodus by Nicky Drayden The Outside by Ada Hoffmann

Books I own:
Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer This is How You Die Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death (Machine of Death, #2) by Ryan North (in progress)

That's a LOT lol but I am off work in June and really hoping to get in a good reading groove! I might also add some Animorphs in there, which I own and am gradually working my way through.

Question: If fantasy counts, does horror? Since those are like the trio of speculative fiction. (Not that I don't have enough here already lol)

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 318 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I am excited and I have created my TBR. It's pretty simple. Edit: I've made it less simple. lol

E-Book
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells (re-read) Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells [boo..."

Elyse wrote: "I am excited and I have created my TBR. It's pretty simple. Edit: I've made it less simple. lol

E-Book
[bookcover:All Systems Red|32758901] (re-read) Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells [boo..."

Simple is no fun anyway. Great line up! I got the Martha Wells books when they were free from Tor that week, but I missed a day. I was so pissed!

Can't wait to dive into Dune. I'm also reading
[bookcover:The Book of Strange New Things|20697435] The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

Plus, still trying to finish up some May reads, and I'm behind on Sagas of the Icelanders for a read-along I'm hosting. Stellar host, as usual. lol

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Here's my planned pile!

Books I got from the public library before it closed in March:
The Seep by Chana Porter Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi The Vanished Birds by Simon Jimenez [bookcov..."

Great pile!

I'm not a huge stickler so if you want to call horror dark fantasy, then it fits. I'm always game for horror myself so I say go for it.

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Jun 22, 2020 01:49PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments Starting reads:
Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey (audio) All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer

I have a feeling I'll be alternating a lot. Graphic novel will be quick, short stories are easy to stop at the end of each one, e-book for traveling lightly, audio for commute, and short bursts for Dune as the font in my edition is very small!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 5 comments Starting reads:
Needful Things by Stephen King (in progress, meant to finish before this but it's huge)
This is How You Die Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death (Machine of Death, #2) by Ryan North (in progress, short stories)
The Silver Spear (The Violet Fox #2) by Clare C. Marshall (almost done, this is my ebook for bedtime reading)

message 8: by Elyse (last edited Jun 05, 2020 06:29AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments Finished my first book yesterday, a reread of All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells , and started the second one Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells , first time reading.

message 9: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments Finished my second book Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer yesterday and starting the sequel Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer today.

message 10: by Elyse (last edited Jun 09, 2020 04:49AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments Finished my third book last night Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey and started the sequel Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2) by James S.A. Corey this morning! Man, these are long books! But I did watch all 4 seasons of the show so I'm familiar with the material and it's fun being back on the Roci!

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments I'm officially finished with all Lunar Chronicles published content. I finished reading Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer and Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer . Kind of sad! lol.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 62 comments https://intotheabyssreviews.blogspot....

Just past midpoint: June 1-16. This is ONLY my SF and F reads, not all I've read.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Hope everyone is enjoying the readathon! I've updated the links up top...prize page, mid-event check-in.

My reading is pretty slow due to my move coming up in August. A lot of packing and prep going on. 😊

message 14: by Elyse (last edited Jun 17, 2020 04:47AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments I can't believe it's already the halfway point! I'm really enjoying my sci fi reads and I really need to put them more into my rotation. I read so little straight sci fi that my husband didn't even know I liked sci fi! lol. I am more of a fantasy girl but I enjoy sci fi and the mix of the two quite a bit!

Anywho, I've read 7 books and listened to 2 audiobooks!
Read All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells (re-read) Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer
Listened Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2) by James S.A. Corey

I just finished Caliban's War last night and I'm off from work for the next 5 days so I'm not starting a new audiobook until next Monday. I mostly listen during my 1-hr commute.
I'm currently reading Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells and still tackling Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert but I added another sci fi trilogy to my TBR and I've started re-reading the first book Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao .

message 15: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments I finished reading Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao and started reading Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4) by Martha Wells Dove Exiled (Dove Chronicles, #2) by Karen Bao . I've read about 40 pages of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert as well.
But today I plan on bingeing the Firefly graphic novels: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2) by Joss Whedon The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3) by Joss Whedon Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4) by Zack Whedon Serenity No Power in the 'Verse by Chris Roberson

message 16: by Michelle (new)

I only read one book...but it was a good one.

The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

Started Dune (Dune, #1) by Frank Herbert on the 30th. Will continue into July, when I have time.

Thanks for joining me everyone. See you in September for the extended FrightFall!!!

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 62 comments Not fantastic: I read 8 SF plus 3 Fantasy + about 2/3 of a SF collection. I'm still reading SF for July for GR Group Devour Your TBR and already have read one: The House on Widows Hill.
Total June reads: 55

https://intotheabyssreviews.blogspot....

message 18: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 377 comments Wrap-Up
Read
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells (re-read) Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1) by Karen Bao (re-read) Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2) by Joss Whedon The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3) by Joss Whedon Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4) by Zack Whedon Serenity No Power in the 'Verse by Chris Roberson Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4) by Martha Wells Dove Exiled (Dove Chronicles, #2) by Karen Bao Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Listened
Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2) by James S.A. Corey Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3) by James S.A. Corey Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5) by Martha Wells

I really enjoyed my SciFi reading month! This month I am going to read the 2 books on my list that I didn't get to and I'm still reading Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert (on page 150). It's a bit of a struggle but I'm going to try and finish it during the long weekend. Or at least set a pages per day and stick to it to get through it.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Elyse wrote: "Wrap-Up
Read
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells (re-read) Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5) by Marissa Meyer [bookcover:Gone Rogue|349..."

Awesome job, girl! I'm still reading Dune. Not as far in as you, but enjoying it.

Thanks for joining in again. Hope to see you in September/October for our two month FrightFall.