Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Boudica by Manda Scott

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alberta-Alessandra (last edited May 21, 2020 06:09AM) (new)

Alberta-Alessandra Sabeva (albertasabeva) | 5 comments Manda Scott’s Boudica - I literally fell in love with her 4 books that made the story of Boudica and the revolt against the Roman Empire very real but still uniquely magical. I am a huge fan of this historical topic and time and I truly admire her way of mixing real historical characters with fictional ones and how she follows the chronicle of the story!

If anyone knows similar books, please let me know! Your recommendations are warmly welcomed! 🤍

My favourite of 4 is Dreaming the Serpent Spear
But they all are actually great!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 617 comments I've been meaning to read these--thanks for the reminder!

They're late-Roman to post-Roman, but have you read Mary Stewart's Merlin series, starting with The Crystal Cave? Although the subject is mythic, she does a good job of rooting the story in the historical and physical reality of fifth-century Britain, when the Romans themselves were gone but the elites in Britain still looked to Roman ways, with indigenous beliefs heavily woven through them.

message 3: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 86 comments I read those a long, long time ago, I really enjoyed them. I think I'll reread them now you've reminded me.

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 565 comments Ooooh the first book, Dreaming the Eagle, is near the top of my HF Summer Challenge list! Yay!

message 5: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Deans (adriandeans) | 62 comments Alberta-Alessandra wrote: If anyone knows similar books, please let me know! Your recommendations are warmly welcomed!

This is a fairly standard way of filling the gaps in the historical record - and of course, the further back you go, the more gaps and thus the more opportunities for hf authors to fill them with fiction.

Bernard Cornwell is a master at this technique - pretty much all of his books feature fictional characters up against the historical. I loved his Grail quest series set during the Hunderd Years War and the Sharpe series set during the Napoleonic campaign.

Alberta-Alessandra Sabeva (albertasabeva) | 5 comments Abigail wrote: They're late-Roman to post-Roman, but have you read Mary Stewart's Merlin series, starting with The Crystal Cave? Although t..."

Abigail, thank you very much for your suggestion! I haven't read these series of books yet, however, it seems definitely as something worth reading, so I've put them in my "want to read" list! :)

Alberta-Alessandra Sabeva (albertasabeva) | 5 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Ooooh the first book, Dreaming the Eagle, is near the top of my HF Summer Challenge list! Yay!"

Ashley, they are all great! Dreaming the Eagle is very rich, full on events and quite quick-paced and I totally loved it for that. I would say Dreaming the Bull was a bit too descriptive and slow compared to the firs one and to be honest in the middle of the book I had my thoughts whether I should continue reading or not. However, the book becomes quite interesting towards its end and it is an integral and necessary part of the story's plot so I am happy that I didn't give up on it. The last two Dreaming the Hound and Dreaming the Serpent Spear are again full of action and the pace gains on speed! Hope you have a pleasant read! :)

Alberta-Alessandra Sabeva (albertasabeva) | 5 comments Adrian wrote: Bernard Cornwell is a master at this technique - pretty much all of his books feature fictional characters up against the historical.

Adrian, thank you for suggesting Bernard Cornwell! Actually, his Arthur Books series are near the top of my "want to read" list, so I will definitely check his other works!

message 9: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Deans (adriandeans) | 62 comments The Arthur books are good, but not his best. I'd recommend starting with the Grail quest - Thomas of Hookton. The Saxon series is also excellent.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments If you want more Boudicca, you might try The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge.

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments Dreaming the Serpent Spear is my favorite HF novel, but if you want another wonderful Celts vs. Romans novel, I recommend Morgan Llywellyn's Druids.