Play Book Tag discussion

The Princess Diarist
This topic is about The Princess Diarist
May 2020: Comedy > (Poll Ballot Tally) The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4911 comments It was interesting to find out what happened behind the scenes of Star Wars, to see just how young, naive and insecure Carrie Fisher was. I wish she had remembered more of the actual filming, though, but it's understandable that her affair with Harrison Ford would be the most memorable thing about it. I did enjoy her diary entries, she is quite the poet, but so much angst!

I liked how Carrie lays her feelings bare in this candid memoir, but it was a bit too rambling, and she has a tendency to go on and on, especially when giving us a taste of what the uber-fans are like when they finally meet her. It's also a bit sad to read her words talking about the future when you know that her death came just a month after this was released.

I haven't read any of her fiction, though Postcards has been on my TBR forever. Maybe this will be the year I finally get around to it.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited May 20, 2020 01:53PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4987 comments This sounds interesting. Imagine finding 40 year old diaries of your life. I wonder how angst-filled mine would be. (I found some old love letters from high school and they were mortifying.) I read a few of her books and they're all very honest about her drinking and mental health. Wishful Drinking was both sad and very funny. My favorite was Postcards from the Edge. It's a novel but it's heavily autobiographical. Her relationship with her mother was fascinating. I felt like I knew her, so I was stunned by her death (and her mother's shortly after).