Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > the book woman of troublesome creek by Kim Michele Richardson - 5 stars and many hearts

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited May 20, 2020 11:51AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments **Poll Ballot**

Five stars and many, many hearts. I completely loved this. The language was wonderful. I listened to the audio and the narrator was wonderful. The author lives Kentucky and has written other books, three more fiction and a non-fiction, The Unbreakable Child, that tells the story of her youth in Kentucky and it looks as though it was a difficult one. It is obvious that she knows the people in this story but its not a sad one. At times, difficult, but not sad.

I had no idea that there were blue people but Cussie Marie is supposed to be the last of them. They are often shunned like the black people of the time were because they are people of color. Cussie Marie is the daughter of a blue who is a coal miner. Her mother died, her father is ill from the mines and he promised he'd see Cussie Marie married and taken care of but who will marry a blue?

Cussie Marie is smart. She is a Book Woman, a librarian with the pack horse library. She loves to read and she passes that on to others. Her patrons mostly love her and those that don't have use for the service she offers, often change their minds. The characters in this story are wonderful.

One of the best books and definitely the best audio that I've had the pleasure of reading/listening to this year. The author ends the book with notes on the history of the blues and Troublesome Creek (evidently a real place.) I've put the fictions on my TBR and will consider the non-fiction when I'm ready for what might be a difficult book.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3231 comments I loved this too! Never thought about it on audio, but if I ever get a chance to re-read I think I'll try that.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1580 comments This is definitely going to be one of the next books that I read. Although I have the Kindle version that is just waiting for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to The Giver of Stars.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments Funny that after Giver of Stars, I’m just not interested in something similar....

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited May 21, 2020 03:37PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Barbara M wrote: "**Poll Ballot**

Five stars and many, many hearts. I completely loved this. The language was wonderful. I listened to the audio and the narrator was wonderful. The author lives Kentucky and has wri..."

Charlotte wrote: "This is definitely going to be one of the next books that I read. Although I have the Kindle version that is just waiting for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to The Giver of Stars."

Great Review! I really liked this as well. I had never heard of the blue people and the medical condition before this. I really liked the characters and there is a lot of emotional depth in the story. I read a few other books about Appalachia, but this one seems to show a deeper view of the culture and the times. I also liked the medical and ethical aspects of the story.

Charlotte I really think you'll like this one too. The story is very different from The Giver of Stars (which I also liked). The settings and time period are similar but the stories and characters are completely different. They provide slightly different views of the workings of the pack-horse librarian WPA project, which I found very interesting. Cussie's story is unlike anything I've read before. It's very moving.

The Giver of Stars has a more modern sensibility. and a different tone.

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 556 comments Need to get to this one, but have to wait until the library reopens.