What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Comet's Curse (Galahad, #1)
This topic is about The Comet's Curse
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA SF: teens on colony ship fleeing virus killing adults. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments Read this book maybe 5 years ago. I'm guessing it was published in the 2000's or early 2010's. It was the first in a series, and I think either the book or the series had a Greek letter, like "the Delta Virus" or something. It was maybe 200-300 pages. I remember a brownish cover with a girl's face, and a green sequel, but I'm not sure.

The premise: an asteroid falls to earth and carries with it a mysterious virus. The virus kills anyone over the age of 18, so, to prevent the human race from dying out, the world's governments decide to send teenagers on a ship to a new habitable planet.

Most of the novel takes place on the ship, where the teens have to learn to govern themselves. They face conflicts like power struggles, fixing broken equipment, maybe a rebellion or two. I think the main character is a girl named Terra or Tetra or something like that, but I also remember an ensemble cast, with multiple POVs and a number of characters described in detail.

An ongoing subplot involves the teens not knowing what'll happen to them once they turn 18. Will they die from being infected by the virus, or will they live through it due to quarantine? Near the end of the book, they discover an infected adult stowaway and end up killing him, because what else can they do?

I thought the book was rather slow, but something about the premise has haunted me. It kind of reminded me of Seveneves but with all teens.

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments That's it! Thanks Rainbowheart!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16939 comments No prob, glad to help out!