2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2020 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️June > June '20: ok boomer

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (last edited Jun 04, 2020 08:14AM) (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Read a book that was published between 1946-64 or written by a boomer author.

We've got like a million options for this month, you guys, so it's a good opportunity for you to look at your existing to-read pile/list and see if there are any books/authors who fit this challenge (we bet there are).

Here is the ONTD post: https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...

message 2: by Tejal (new)

Tejal (ohsodebonair) | 78 comments I've not really enjoyed the last few books I've been reading (or at least really struggled with enthusiasm for them). I'm hoping that this month's theme will help open it up.

I'm going to read The President Is Missing for this challenge and possibly East of Eden as I've had both of them on my to-read pile for ages.

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 152 comments i'm going to see if i can read ONLY books that meet this criteria this month. i'll start with an Archer Mayor book - he writes a mystery series set in the town i live in. He was born in 1950.

message 4: by Dainey (last edited May 21, 2020 02:28PM) (new)

Dainey | 69 comments I haven't been in the mood for serious books lately, but I'm gonna go for Man's Search for Meaning, because I need something short so I can at least attempt to catch up on my reading challenge.

Originally published in 1946, this was one of the books recommended by the tour guide at the Dachau memorial.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (pajamafish) | 38 comments I had a really hard time coming up with something for this challenge, a lot of the books/authors I have on hand fall just outside the "boomer" range. If my research is correct, the author of The Alienist is a boomer, so I'll read that.

message 6: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments Really hoping to read something from my TBR list, which I need to go and cull a bit because I've put some stuff on there years ago and looking at it now, I wonder why?

Here are some ideas I have, but I'll keep on browsing because I still have no idea.

The Catcher in the Rye (pub 1951)
1984 (pub 1949)
Catch-22 (pub 1961)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (pub 1962)
I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend (born 1950)

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendalee) | 65 comments Mod
I'm going to read 1984 because I have it on my shelf, it seems pretty relevant right now, and I haven't read it since high school.

message 8: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julzreads) | 94 comments Omg I just added I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend to my reading list so I'm going to read that in June!

message 9: by Avery (new)

Avery | 20 comments Bought Killing Commendatore back in April so I'm reading that for this challenge.

message 10: by iimagine (new)

iimagine | 16 comments It looks like I'll be reading Some Kind of Fairy Tale by boomer author Graham Joyce. I've been watching a lot of fairy tale movies during lockdown, so this book seems fitting.

message 11: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 13 comments Uh, I forgot about this month's so I'm reading Naolo Hopkinson's
Brown Girl in the Ring since I just got it for a good deal lol. Oops!

message 12: by Jairo (new)

Jairo (jairosoares) | 5 comments I'm reading Kindred and I'm loving it. Unlike anything I've ever read.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 152 comments So i ended up only reading The Disposable Man by Archer Mayor because i pivoted my reading to books by and about BIPOC for the rest of the month.