Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to Read: Romance, YA, Horror, Thriller, Fantasy and More

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (librarian343) | 3 comments Hi everyone!

I'm Lauren. I'm currently an out of work Librarian looking for activities to fill my free time. I have a B.A. in English and a Masters Degree in Library Science. I've been an avid reader and writer for as much of my life as I can remember.

I'm looking to gain some experience in Beta reading by offering my free beta reading service.

Generally I read Romance, YA, Horror, Thriller, Fantasy, and True Crime. However I do enjoy other genres and am open to read other works.

Feel free to leave a comment on this post or private message me.

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 125 comments Hi Lauren,
Here's the query I plan on sending to agents. Hope it picks your interest!

I’m seeking representation for my 50,200 word, pessimistic in a healthy dose, dark humour upper MG magical realism novel, A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE. Given your interest in quirkiness and unique problems, I thought it might be a good fit for you.
In the year 2080, 14-year-old underachiever Joe finds a semi-translucent, sepia-coloured man in his room and panics. He assumes the stranger to be the holographic operating system he’s purchased, but his mother Lina figures out the man’s true nature; the spirit of Joe’s great-great-great-something-grandfather who died in the 1880s. The ghost wishes to see the world and know everything that happened after his passing.
Sepia man soon realizes that the world’s gone through natural disasters. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, zombie fish lurking seawater. The sun rays are scorching, and the consumer culture is at its peak. Still, life goes on as if everything’s normal. Joe’s mocked by his crush, sepia man’s disappointed by the new era, and both have the worst time of their lives and deaths. Let down by humanity, the duo hit rock bottom. They talk about the past, the future, and books, taking strength from one another.
Joe starts an uprising in his class, thinking he’s been deceived by the adults about history throughout his entire life. Things get settled with a message sent by sepia man.
A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE is a character-centric novel which leads our past and future into being disappointed with one another by bringing them together. Though comedic, the book raises plenty of questions about the potential outcomes of adult indifference on global warming while questioning life and death. It speaks to children of ages 10 to 13 and has similarities to John Boyne's “The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket” and Terry Pratchett’s “Johnny Maxwell” books. The dynamic between my two MCs also resembles a light version of what the show “Rick and Morty” has. You may find sample illustrations I made for this book here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/17258...
I am a writer, translator and illustrator, mostly working on children’s literature. My books have been published thrice and awarded twice in Turkey by major publishers. This book has been published in 2014 only in Turkish, which would by no means harm any potential English sales (its rights are currently available globally).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Cordially,
Ali Benice

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (librarian343) | 3 comments Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for reaching out! The premise of your story sounds interesting and I would definitely be interested in checking it out. Feel free to send me a message at millerlauren647@gmail.com.

-Lauren

Ali wrote: "Hi Lauren,
Here's the query I plan on sending to agents. Hope it picks your interest!

I’m seeking representation for my 50,200 word, pessimistic in a healthy dose, dark humour upper MG magical re..."

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 57 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm Lauren. I'm currently an out of work Librarian looking for activities to fill my free time. I have a B.A. in English and a Masters Degree in Library Science. I've been an avid rea..."

Hi Lauren,

Would you be interested in reading a mystery novella?

Premise --- A woman takes refuge in her friend's house during a hurricane and winds up being accused of a murder.

message 5: by Zubair (new)

Zubair Dollie | 23 comments Hi Lauren!

I've written a 38k word, 60% completed, Dark Fantasy with a bit of comedy and romance woven in between. (LGBTQ friendly)

1st person story following Nox (male, dark skin) as he suddenly appears in a fantastical world, losing all memories of his past.

In this new world he befriends two others (a forest elf woman and a another guy who’s in a similar position as him). Together they try and figure out what’s actually going on and links it to the antagonists of the story. The main characters main objective is to find a way back to his own world:

This story contains extreme violence and a bit of foul language (just the F word). There isn’t any sex, but there are sexual innuendos.
Another trigger warning is that it talks about depression and self harm.

I’m sorry for sucking at giving a brief overview of the plot, but I hope you enjoy it.

Looking for someone to let me know if the plot is interesting enough, if the characters and likable and three dimensional, let me know if there are any annoying plot holes, etc.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (librarian343) | 3 comments Hi Nikki! I would absolutely be interested in reading your novella.

Feel free to send me an email at millerlauren647@gmail.com.

I look forward to working with you.

message 7: by Ackash (new)

Ackash Kumar (storiesbyackash) | 31 comments Hi, Lauren! I'm so honoured to have you read my work, if you decide to. Your perspective would be great!

I have two finished manuscripts that I would love to share with you. Both have similar themes, but are different in their own ways. And they are not connected directly to each other but share a bond that is as mysterious as the flow of the universe. The plot heavily revolves around the zodiac and how they mature wrapped in a very human story full of flaws and acceptance towards the end. (it's not a series, really) Hence, these books focus on the sign of the title given to them. There's some power usage as well and both these books are relatively safe (some warning for trauma, fighting, sex (mentions), alcohol abuse (mentions), swearing in one the books )

these characters are also diverse in their opinions, skin colour, race, religion, body type and others. 12 books. 12 main characters. All of them have things to fix and all have their own stories to tell.

Savannah is a 20+ year old African-American from Wichita and Yannathan is a 30+ year old Aboriginal from Australia. She has an average build from her consistent diet and relatively lazy way of life. He has a climber's body from all the stunts he's pulled in his life. They both have so much to face that even they never expected.

i hope i've given you enough to consider my manuscripts (you can pick one or both, i'm fine with it) without spoiling too much. DM me if you're interested!

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Lauren,
an under-employed librarian is like an under-used book, they need to brought out into the light. i have a 62 000 YA fantasy MS that would benefit from a set of fresh eyes reading it! i'll leave my tentative query below and you can see if it appeals, Either way - good luck with your reading and employment opportunities.
‘All’s not well in Everwell’ is a YA fantasy of 62 000 words.
No oracle chose him. No king claimed him as a bastard son. A tinkerer rather than a terminator, he is the default setting in a high stakes game. Silvanius von Stumpff, failed fashionista and novice sorcerer of average abilities is currently home on leave (read suspended) from the Academy of Conjurations and Magicks. Which is a blessing for the queendom of Everwell.
His beloved home is about to be invaded by a northern prince and a horde of unstoppable mammosaurs. Concealed within the invader’s ranks is an unbeatable alien mage who plays a double game. The fate of Everwell and the world will reside in the hands of a beta mage in an alpha confrontation. Luckily, Silvie is not alone. The kickass princesses of House Roland and a pair of bling-loving, delinquent dragons will guide his hand. While a mad mage, trapped inside his familiar, helps and hinders him.
War. Death. Exploding pumpkins. His own twisted foot. Silvie must survive them all and be prepared to sacrifice himself and those he loves to fulfil his duty.

Cheers
Richard

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie A. | 9 comments Hi Lauren

Are you still looking to beta read?
I have a whole manuscript finished, yet it needs a lot of editing before I can put it out into the light I think, even towards beta readers. However, I have three chapters finished and I was wondering whether you wanted to read them?

Here's a short description (it is not the blurb as I will work a little more on that):

Can you imagine your life shattering into pieces, quite literally, in the least expected moment? Having no one to talk to, little food to eat, not knowing where to go?
Destiny is thrown out of the life she knew as a massive catastrophe destroys her father's hotel and her home with it. People keep disappearing as they die, not leaving even a trace of themselves behind. She's left to the unstable rubble of her hometown to fend for herself, discovering more mysteries the more she tries to understand what is happening. She's left to the difficult decision of choosing what to do next.

If you're interested, feel free to message me or email me at julieadgriffs@gmail.com

message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Miller | 107 comments Hi Lauren, would you be interested in a romantic suspense novel? It contains violence, swearing, and love scenes.

It's about a female detective that is transferred to Cold Cases and there learns of an old murder case that is linked back to her family.

It's clear from the moment she re-opens the case, someone doesn't want it to solved and will go to any lengths to keep it that way.
Including adding her to their kill list.

Thanks,
Brooke

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Wells | 20 comments If you are still looking, here is my blurb-in-progress. I am hoping to publish next month (maybe). Thank you for considering!

------------------------------------

"It just takes a spark, Enya. You don't need to be anything more than you."

What if you found out you had a fatal disease with no cure? What if you also started having powerful visions? Are they magic, a scientific anomaly, or desperation? Newly diagnosed 18 year old Enya embarks on a cross country road trip of self discovery, finding love and spirituality along the way. But will that be enough to save her future? Join Enya as she realizes love is everything. Rich with Native American tradition and Chinese Medicine, this book is sure to enchant, its heart and soul lessons lingering long after the book is over.

Readers agree, this is one is a must-read!
★★★★★ Your characters are strong, real and true. I just love it.
★★★★★ I love the characters and settings … a wonderful writer
★★★★★ I’m loving it! I couldn’t wait to go back and read it! As I was reading it was more like I was seeing the story vs reading words off of the screen. I loved the visions, the message of love, and the reminder to choose love.
★★★★★ A beautiful story, captivating and endearing… the prose of this book was great … a really well done character arc
★★★★★ I really felt like I knew the characters personally and I’ve never read a book with a character who had a gift like that.
★★★★★ I truly believe this is the sweetest friends to lovers I’ve ever read

Inspirational and insightful, this sweet romance will keep you curious and leave you hopeful.

Learn why when Enya’s world ends, new love is just the beginning.

UpSpark is the first book in the Five Elements Series, but can be read as a standalone novel.

message 12: by Fred (new)

Fred | 16 comments Hi Lauren,

I've just finished a "soft" science fiction novel (no spaceships or alien invasions), and I'd love to have a beta reader look at it. It's relatively short (about 32,000 words). Here's a synopsis:

COGNITION is a science fiction novel with elements of crime and political drama. It involves androids known as “cognizants” or “cogs” who live and work among humans, have real emotions and personalities, and who would like to be treated not as machines but as people. They are the good guys in this world. The protagonist in this story is a human, a young woman named Jessie who works as a congressional aid. In the course of her work, she befriends a cog and becomes obsessed with knowing about their origin and about the brilliant but reclusive scientist who invented them. She also learns that there are hate groups who don't want the cogs to be treated as people, and who will try anything, even political assassination, to keep them down. She volunteers to investigate these groups, going undercover to learn their secrets and to stop their crimes.

I've always been a fan of science fiction, especially the thoughtful kind. Let me know if this interests you.

Thanks.
Fred Filbrich

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Celebrating the end of the school year, sisters Ember and Holly go on a camping trip to Mt. St. Helens National Park with their friends. Everything is fun and games until the world turns completely dark. The darkness is terrifying, but when light is restored, things get even worse. Magic and monsters have entered the world, running free to wreak havoc on every aspect of life. Surrounded by chaos and danger, the group of friends wants desperately to return to normalcy, but instead find themselves battling for their lives as they embark on a journey of survival. Throughout the ever-changing world, they must find safety and learn to fight. Will Ember, Holly, and their friends survive, and more importantly, will they learn to live with the magic or die trying?
Diego has been a soldier for less than a year, and now he’s being sent to the front lines to fight. He and his unit must save a small town from an unknown enemy, an enemy new to his world. The unit fights creatures straight out of nightmares and find they are ill-prepared. When nothing goes according to plan, Diego and a group of other surviving soldiers embark on their own journey, never imagining what lies ahead.

This is a young adult fantasy of about 82,000 words with some violence and strong language. Let me know if you would be interested.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick | 27 comments Hi Lauren,

I was wondering if you were still available for some beta reading? I have a 145k fantasy book that I would love for you to read.

I am hoping the manuscript is finished and I have received excellent feedback from the betas I have used so far (so hopefully it shouldn't be too painful an experience for you).

I have sent the manuscript to some lit agents but now its just long and depressing wait and so I thought it a good idea to send it out again and get some (hopefully positive) feedback and pick up anything the first few sweeps may have missed.

The blurb is as follows -

The White, with its relentless cold and ice, would ravage the land of Arden for the first three years of every five. It was with those ominous snow clouds cresting the mountains of Messemmi, that nine-year-old orphan Priya, and her younger brother Reed, passed into the capital. They unwittingly stepped into a world of poverty and privilege . A world of muskets and swords . A world of ambition and darkness. It was a world in which Priya and Reed would find themselves fighting for both their lives and their freedom. An unfolding battle that would see them at odds with Arden's Emir and his army of Brass. With a lot of luck, and a little magi, it was a world that Priya and Reed were destined to change forever.

Please contact me at nickrawlsuk@yahoo.co.uk if you are interested.

Many thanks

Nick

message 15: by Nastasia (new)

Nastasia Bishop | 57 comments Hi Lauren,

I'd be very interested in your service if you're not already too overwhelmed!
I'm looking for a beta to read the first 5 chapters of my novel and gain some honest feedback to see if it's heading in an interesting direction!
It's a fantasy, hovering between adult and YA but probably a little more YA leaning.
Here's a WIP outline, let me know if of any interest. Thanks for your consideration! :)

Title: Kingdom of Stardust

"In an age where natural, magikal ability has been lost, only a physical spark can bring out the power within.

In the district of Sula, Zola Norsova is grieving her Grandfather's death when she is captured by the sovereign. King Lucan believes her to be his long lost niece but when the rebl group known as The Kasi find her missing, they'll do everything they can to get her back.
But does Zola want to be saved? The more she learns of her Grandfather's mysterious past, the more she is drawn in to the delights of the royal city of Jorvik.

Two generations back, Zola's grandmother, Mika, has risen up the ranks in tmThe Kasi rebel group to become leader of the division of saboteurs. When a falling star leads to a chance encounter with a Prince-on-the-run, does she stay true to her rebel cause or risk everything to help him? "

Told in multiple viewpoints across two generations. The story is full of magik, Viking inspired fashion and fantasy technology.

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 193 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (96k words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are Five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdoms are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years. That threat becomes a reality when the Monstro King issues an ultimatum: side with him or go to war.

Hoping to prevent war and take down the worst of the Kingdoms - the Monstro, Mundus, and Shifter - is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned and has a knack for throwing knives. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who kills with more speed and accuracy than comprehendible.

Just when the plan begins to take effect, Raven runs into the entity of Death. Surprisingly, he wants Raven to succeed, but he'll make sure she'll suffer along the way. He forces the group into the Mundus Kingdom, a place Raven never wanted to see again unless it was nothing but ash. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatening their plans. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

message 17: by Gerard (new)

Gerard O'Neill | 74 comments Hello Lauren,

I have a 36k-word YA science fiction book completed and in need of your sharp eyes. I am looking for your suggestions on the plot, characters, story continuity, and generally where you think the story needs tightening or perhaps aspects that could be expanded on. This is an ARC of book 2 of the Atoma series. I can also send you the published Book 1 for a review if you wish.

Atoma is a 16-year-old girl, who along with a group of teenagers, all outcasts like her, finds herself on an odd-shaped planet in a star system light-years from Earth. None of them really had a choice but to accept a mission that was shrouded in secrecy.

Following a crash landing, Atoma and Nako are rescued by Ilyin, a young warrior about their age. They quickly discover something is badly amiss in this very strange world. Atoma lives to return to Earth to discover a home and her family erased from her memory, but now there’s Ilyin, and despite Nako's warning, Atoma finds herself increasingly drawn to the boy.

The coming-of-age, action-adventure with large helpings of suspense and thrills continues. You can find the link to Book 1 below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

message 18: by William (new)

William R | 13 comments Hi Lauren

I have finished my book and its been to a Developmental Editor. It's a suspense/thriller right at 100,000 words. Over 20 people have read and loved it. I'm looking for a Beta to give me last minute advice. It's called "Killing Fiath and here's a synopsis.

“There’s nothing that boggles the human mind more than trying to keep someone who will not stay or get rid of someone who will not go.”

Killing Faith is the riveting story told by Faith Brunick, a mother of three children looking back on her life and describing her hopeless situation. She was once married to a very successful lawyer. Unhappy in the marriage she has a long affair and divorces her husband. After several failed relationships she decides to stop dating. Out of nowhere she meets the "man of her dreams" who wins her over and makes her believe in love again. He seems perfect – handsome, smart, and successful. Is her dream man the answer to her prayers or another nightmare that will destroy her life? Killing Faith is a real thriller that will leave you stunned when you realize it can happen to anyone

Killing Faith is a riveting thriller that will keep you hooked until the last page. If you like Gone Girl or Girl on a Train you’ll love this book.

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 102 comments Hey, Lauren!

I'm seeking beta readers for a 7.300 word short story called "This Might Have Been A Different Story." This story is set in Regency England (early 1800s).

About the story:

Miss Jane Everleigh is caught stealing a diamond necklace from a shopkeeper, Mr. William Hartford. William has long been infatuated with Jane, so instead of sending her to Newgate Prison, he strikes a deal with her. She may borrow the necklace to impress the man of her daydreams, Lord Grandford, but for a favor.

If you're interested in reading, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat Devitt

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Sep 08, 2020 12:51PM) (new)

Sarah | 5 comments Hey Lauren! I'm looking to shop around my 96k adult fantasy/romance by the next PitMad, and I'd love your perspective on it. It's been beta'd before, and now that I've completed my fourth revision, I want to see if those edits are working. Here's my query letter:

It’s a shitty time to be a witch in America—just ask Cora Somerville. Neighbors turn on neighbors, riots bubble up across the country, and a government sanctioned effort to put down magical "domestic terrorists" like her is the cherry on top of it all.

Now, a decade after dodging the witch hunters who seized her twin brother and mother, Cora returns to Los Angeles to care for her aunt. Her fragile new normal falls apart when she’s arrested by Theo Vega, the hunter set on exposing her coven's refugee-smuggling ring. But that’s only half the problem: Theo’s an old childhood friend she thought was gone for good.

When Theo lets Cora escape, he'll need to take a long, hard look at his loyalties. And Cora needs to exploit his growing attraction to her if she wants to discover what he knows about her mother's and brother's fate—plus protect her aunt from sharing it. But a bit of treason, spying, and the dicey business of liberating a secret witch prison? Not half as crazy or stupid as falling for a man who represents everything her coven is working to destroy.

ALL OF OUR NEVERS, my debut novel complete at 96,000 words, is an adult romantic suspense/contemporary fantasy told by both hunter and hunted, with The Southern Vampire Mysteries’ fraught supernatural politics woven between the slow-burn romance and action-adventure of Ilona Andrews’ Sapphire Flames.

Thanks, and let me know if you're interested!

- Sarah