Irmo Branch Library - Monday Evening Book Club discussion

Oil and Marble: A Novel of Leonardo and Michelangelo
This topic is about Oil and Marble
Past Discussions > Oil and Marble

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Renzulli We will meet here at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 26 to discuss "Oil and Marble" by Stephanie Storey!

Rachel Renzulli A question to get us started: Did you prefer reading Michelangelo or Leonardo's chapters? Or did you prefer one of them as a character? Why?

Feel free to branch out with another question or comment!

Mary (mpgwyn) | 18 comments Disclaimer- I'm only 28% of the way finished, but so far I like Michelangelo's story better, maybe because he's the underdog, and I'm eager to see how he's going to work with the stone. I"m really enjoying this book, and it's definitely not one I would have chosen on my own.

Rachel Renzulli Mary wrote: "Disclaimer- I'm only 28% of the way finished, but so far I like Michelangelo's story better, maybe because he's the underdog, and I'm eager to see how he's going to work with the stone. I"m really ..."

I know this sounds silly since I am the one who chose the book, but if not for book club, I wouldn't have chosen it on my own either, and I was pleasantly surprised!

I started out liking Michelangelo's chapters better too. Not to give too much away, but I really enjoyed Leonardo's character arc and appreciated how he grew over the course of the novel. I ended the book with a real soft spot for him.

Mary (mpgwyn) | 18 comments Oh good, because he's kind of a jerk so far!

Rachel Renzulli Mary wrote: "Oh good, because he's kind of a jerk so far!"

Yes, he does start out that way!

message 7: by Vickie (new) - added it

Vickie | 18 comments I truly loved the book.I read another book aboutMichealangelo’s life which really filled in the gaps.The Agony and the Ecstasy.I am definitely on the Michaelangelo team because Leonardo is so arrogant.By the end of the book though my heart softened towards him when he falls in love.I really disliked the way Michaelangelo’s family treats him,so disrespectful.This was a wonderful book the way it would flip back and forth between the characters.Great choice Rachel.