Advanced Copies for Review & Book Giveaways discussion

Looking for contemporary fiction to review

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (last edited May 19, 2020 11:01PM) (new)

Christopher | 11 comments Hi there,

I have some time again to review contemporary fiction books. I prefer books with some litfic qualities, but a good story and good characters are the most important, as always. No magic realism, fantastic or scifi elements, please. Just ... contemp. Short story collections are cool, too.

If you want to get a sense if we might be a good fit, feel free to see what I read (under my profile) and what I write (shadeofthemorningsun.com). But the best and surest way to get an accurate answer is just to ask :)

Message me your title, blurp + any other info you might think relevant and I will let you know if I'm in for the read, but estimated turnaround time.

Looking forward to read your stuff!

Best,
Chris

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 3 comments I like your imaginative blog very much, especially the way you integrated illustrations with the text. Very professional.

I don’t know if you would be interested in reviewing my book, and I won’t at all be discouraged if you say it’s just not your genre.

Please see: Not All Of Me Is Dust by Frances Maureen Richardson

Reviews of the novel are on Amazon and Goodreads.

Thank you so much. Best of luck with your creative work.

Frances

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 11 comments Thanks for asking. I do have a kind of personal relationship with Catholicism and it seems like you have written a beautiful story, but I just don't feel this one is for me.

Best,
Chris

message 4: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 3 comments I understand. Thank you, Chris, for the considerate reply.

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Rankin | 6 comments Hey Chris,
I've got a new novel out that has some litfic qualities, and it's contemporary, though it takes place mainly outside of mainstream society. The main character's fed up with life in the mundane and journeys off grid, into environmental action camps, onto the reservation, and through some other alternative ways of life as he discovers his inherent connection to the Earth. There's no fantasy elements, though it definitely deals with spiritual philosophy, and it's got a bit of a specific demographic, but if you'd be into upmarket ecofiction then I'd love for you to check it out.

Liberation's Garden is available for free on amazon right now if you wanna take a peek at it, thanks brother, DJ

https://www.amazon.com/liberations-ga...

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 11 comments D.J. wrote: "Hey Chris,
I've got a new novel out that has some litfic qualities, and it's contemporary, though it takes place mainly outside of mainstream society. The main character's fed up with life in the ..."

I've downloaded it and I will review it if I can give it an honest 3 star review or better. So thanks for notifying me that it was free. I'm pretty busy right now, but if I am able to make said review it will likely be up in 2 weeks. If not, I probably didn't feel this was something for me.

Thanks again.

Best,
Chris

message 7: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Rankin | 6 comments Thanks Chris, take care

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Newwyn | 10 comments Hi Chris! You might be interested in this short story. It's originally a Uni project, and was deemed by Mark Peart, the English Professor at the University of Sydney as having “great capacity for complex writing skills in storytelling and description.”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08...

Here's the synopsis:

"Kyousuke was craving. He had been working for fifteen years without leave; working was his second nature. He had forgotten what it felt like to have a happy marriage, a happy family, a happy life. He had forgotten how to live. But there was one thing he would never forget.

Alcohol.

To get away from everything, the man fell back to his daily routine: getting dead drunk. As he did, the memory of his past came to haunt him. Would he ever find a way out?"

Here's an excerpt if you're interested:

"It was Osaka, the city where it was easy to lie half-dead on the street and difficult to smile at strangers. It was the city of rowdy young girls in their anime costumes and of public shaming for not matching your shoes to your bag. It was the city of hanging lanterns drenched in the smell of Dotonbori sake and all-night partygoers. It was the city of shut-ins of thirty years claiming human connection was overrated, of long hours and no extra pay, of Kamagasaki’s cheap internet cafes and flophouses with no permanent address where the homeless people squat in. And it was the city of a dust-specked book in an antique shop while the owner tried to finish it without the pages falling out."

Disclaimer: The short story is set in modern Japan, specifically Osaka. The readers should approach the book with this knowledge in mind.

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 11 comments Daniel wrote: "Hi Chris! You might be interested in this short story. It's originally a Uni project, and was deemed by Mark Peart, the English Professor at the University of Sydney as having “great capacity for c..."

You already pitched this to me in an earlier thread and I said I was interested but never heard from you again. If you are ready this time, please do send the first couple of chapters to chris AT shadeofthemorningsun DOT com and I will let you know shortly if I am interested in the rest. Thanks.

Chris

message 10: by Parul (new)

Parul Bhatia (ruls) | 23 comments My book "My Foreign Master's Degree " is an innocent sharing of my life transforming experience of studying in Australia that changed my life. The book also talks about magical experience of meeting God in Melbourne. Book available for free from 1 to 5 June 2020. Pls be kind to provide your valuable reviews.

https://read.amazon.in/kp/embed?asin=...

My Foreign Master’s Degree- When Dreams Encounter Realism, Miracles Happen (Book by Parul Bhatia)

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 11 comments Parul wrote: "My book "My Foreign Master's Degree " is an innocent sharing of my life transforming experience of studying in Australia that changed my life. The book also talks about magical experience of meetin..."

Sorry. This is not for me. It is also non-fiction and I don't do that.

Chris