Play Book Tag discussion

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
This topic is about As You Wish
May 2020: Comedy > [PB] As you Wish, Inconceivable Tales from the making of Princess Bride, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 19, 2020 10:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. Cary Elwes was Westley in the film Princess Bride, a charming film that has grown in popularity since it was made in the late 1980's. Elwes and many cast members reminisce about their experiences making the film. It sounds like it was a wonderful experience for everyone. Elwes heaps praise on everyone, especially the director, Rob Reiner. I didn't realize just how many well-known quotes were in this film. There were funny stories about many of the cast members, especially Andre the Giant. The audio includes narrated quotes from many of the cast members, which was a bonus.

The sword fights were a big deal in the book, and the director thought it was important that they look real. It took months of full-time instruction and grueling daily practice to teach Cary and Mandy how to fence with both their right hand and left hands. That's commitment!

Billy Crystal had only a small role, but he brought a lot of laughs to the whole group. They had to come up with strategies to stop the giggles. Mandy Patinkin was one of my favorites, and I would have liked to hear more from him.

If the movie was special to you or your family, you might really enjoy this book. It's charming and non-demanding, and if you get the audio, you can listen while you're doing something else.

Karin | 7202 comments I'm glad you liked this!