Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Rainbow Riddle
This topic is about The Rainbow Riddle
#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 8: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1080 comments Mod
Chapter 8: The Honeymoon Begins

It was nearly midnight when they arrived at the irresistible place. For 2 hours they had been traveling through wilderness. Peter noticed that people around there went to bed early, there weren't any lights on in the windows. They went through another stretch of woods even having to go around a deer that had stopped in the road. Peter said “Good hunting around here.“ “Yes, Judy replied, “Unless you are hunting for a place to sleep. Look Peter. I see a light. “ Soon they saw the sign “Green Gables. Tourists welcome.” Judy thought they couldn't have found a better place if they had picked it themselves. She stood beside Peter for a minute while both of them gazed rapturously at the house that called itself Green Gables. It was low built and rambling with all sorts of queer little peaks on the uneven roof. The grounds, from what Judy could see, looked well kept. A winding flagstone walk and a horn lantern showed their way directly to the door. But before they could ring, it was opened and an old man squinted out at them. “Didn't expect you so late,” he quavered, “but the room is ready. Come right in.“ Judy whispered to Peter that Mr. Trent must have told him that they were coming. “how’s that?” The old man cupped his hand to his ear. Peter spoke loudly since he appeared to be deaf “You were expecting us, you say.” the man answered “Inspecting all day? That’s good. No trouble at the plant, is there?” “Golly! He must think we're a couple of other people.” Peter raised his voice and almost shouted, “We weren't expected,” “You don't have to yell at me, boy. So ye weren't inspecting. Up to your old tricks agin, were ye? Someday these newfangled G-men’ll get wise and pervide board and room fer ye in a federal prison. That’s what I tell the rest of ‘em and the same applies to you, boy. Ye may be new at the game but ye’re no smarter ‘n the rest. Wal, come along to yer room, it’s the same as ye had last week, so I think ye’ll be satisfied with it. This yer wife with ye?” Peter nodded. Judy whispering asked Peter if they were going to stay. “If you're game. I wasn't planning to be mistaken for a crook, but it is just as well to play along with him. That may be what Mr Trent had in mind when he gave me the itinerary.” Judy shivered with excitement. “We may find out something important.” “That’s what I'm hoping,” Peter answered. It was a pretty room with sprigged wallpaper and crisp curtains at the windows Everything was fresh and clean. “this room may have been meant for a crook,” observed Peter, taking Judy in his arms, ”but it will do nicely for a bride and groom.” In the morning, Judy picked up every telltale piece of rice. Peter gathered mistaken for a crook, but it is just as well to play along with him. That may be what Mr Trent had in mind.” up a blotter from the desk, a half used paper of matches, and a metal ashtray which might have fingerprints. They slipped out quietly as the bill had been settled the night before and Peter had not been asked to sign the register. As they drove, Peter said “Someday, I intend to check through the government files until I find a criminal who looks something like me, Meantime these clues might help..” “ According to the old man your double is wanted by the FBI and works at some plant. I wish we could have found out more without making him suspicious.” they drove on to the next town where Peter bought a paper. The headlines ran “ Unexplained blast in radio plant Three Men Injured Work halted” “Whew!” Peter ejaculated. “Now we really know something. Those clues may be more important than we thought.” “Your double has been doing exactly what the old man thought he did.” “Unexplained blast,” Peter repeated thoughtfully. “Sweetheart, that’s a challenge.” “It certainly is,” agreed Judy. “Oh Peter, I wish you were finished with your training and this was your assignment. Then maybe you could really do something about it.” “Maybe I can,” he answered. He excused himself and made a half hour long distance call while Judy finished her breakfast. Peter told her that they would meet Mr. Trent, it was his assignment. They would meet him in the Blue Kitchen, a restaurant in Buffalo. They have to drive fast to get there by noon. Peter had a sudden idea, he asks Judy if she would like to go to Niagara Falls and mentions that Grandma & Grandpa Dobbs went there on their honeymoon. “Oh Peter, that is a wonderful idea. Did you think of it just this minute or did you intend to take me there all the time?” “Well to tell you the truth,” Peter admitted, “it was Mr. Trent’s plan for us to go to Buffalo. We just have to get there a little sooner now in order to meet him at noon. Niagara Falls was my idea though. After all, it is a traditional place for newly married couples to go. Besides---” he paused. “ Besides what?” Judy prompted him. “Would you rather know? Or shall we keep it as a surprise. You have never been to Niagara Falls have you?” “No, never in my life.“ “Then let’s keep it a surprise. I had it planned that way. What I hadn’t planned was our little adventure at Green Gables. It’s odd that we should stumble onto a thing like that just when we were puzzled about another explosion.” “Another explosion! What do you mean, Peter?” “I mean, that I am not at all satisfied with Roberta‘s explanation of what happened yesterday. We still don’t know what was in that package she had with her when she went up the hill.” “She did have a package, didn’t she? Oh, Peter! Could it have been the package Irene and Dale sent? She was coaxing me for it. And she seemed perfectly sure it was a radio.” Peter tells her that they can find out easily enough. The itinerary Mr. Trent made ended in the Adirondacks, it would be easy to continue on to New York City and stop for a visit. Judy agreed and then was silent. There were a lot of things to think about before they went to NYC.

The description of the room at Green Gables to which Judy and Peter were assigned is charming: "It was a pretty room with sprigged wallpaper and crisp curtains at the windows. Everything was fresh and clean. 'This room may have been meant for a crook,' observed Peter, taking Judy in his arms, 'but it will do nicely for a bride and groom.'"

I love Peter's comment to his bride. As an adult reader, I smiled when I noticed double spacing between the paragraph in in which Peter spoke is comment about the room and the following paragraph which began: "The next morning ..."

Use your imagination, dear adult reader, perhaps based on your own experiences, of how nicely that room did for the bride and groom! :-)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 514 comments dot dot dot....and so.....

message 4: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
I must say, Niagara Falls does have special treatment if you book their Honeymoon rooms. Though we went on an Anniversary, we had a great time going as if we were on a honeymoon. We always make it a point to travel through the falls area when we went to Niagara on the Lake. The follows are beautiful around the Flowered Clock. I might have to take a ride up there when the border is open and buy a pass and visit all the attractions of the falls and I could use a new plastic raincoat for my car.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 823 comments I love the flowered clock. We have been to Niagara Falls twice to and from visiting Faye and Chuck running half-marathons.
Beverly

message 6: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments It was sweet, the spacing between taking Judy in his arms and the next morning.
Even though we live so close, we still enjoy staying at a hotel in the Niagara Falls area. And my husband and I and three other couples go for the weekend every first weekend in December for the Victorian Candlelit Stroll

message 7: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I thought it was very interesting that in this book there is talk of a criminal that looks just like Peter and it was revisited in The Strange Likeness.

Faye wrote: "I thought it was very interesting that in this book there is talk of a criminal that looks just like Peter and it was revisited in The Strange Likeness."

Peter's mysterious double also appears briefly in #38: The Secret of the Sand Castle. He disappears immediately and isn't mentioned again until the next book which is #39: The Strange Likeness.

message 9: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 257 comments I didn't remember that. It isn't one of my favorites so I only read it when I bought it and then when we discussed it. Maybe I will change my mind when we get to that one again. One of the nicest things about the discussions is seeing the story through other people. I love to see what moves someone else or doesn't.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 823 comments William wrote: "Faye wrote: "I thought it was very interesting that in this book there is talk of a criminal that looks just like Peter and it was revisited in The Strange Likeness."

Peter's mysterious double als..."

Exactly. But, in Judy time, only two and a half years have passed between the two incidents.

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 823 comments William wrote: "Faye wrote: "I thought it was very interesting that in this book there is talk of a criminal that looks just like Peter and it was revisited in The Strange Likeness."

Peter's mysterious double als..."

William wrote: "Peter's mysterious double also appears briefly in #38: The Secret of the Sand Castle. He disappears immediately and isn't mentioned again until the next book which is #39: The Strange Likeness. ."

And the brief mention is all we had to go on as to the identity of the double. Kate had one idea, I had a different, and Lindsay had a third which was what was used in The Strange Likeness. It would be interesting to know exactly what Margaret intended. We can only guess,

If you are able to share this information, Beverly, I would be interested in knowing what the three ideas were and which one was adopted for the book.

Thanks.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 823 comments We used Lindsay's idea.

J. Michael | 130 comments All this discussion about Peter's double is fascinating. To be honest, I had never picked up on that before, much less related it to events in "Sand Castle" or "Strange Likeness." I'm so glad that I'm catching up with all the discussions I missed!