Play Book Tag discussion

Arctic Drift (Dirk Pitt, #20)
This topic is about Arctic Drift
Archive: Other Books > Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler - 4*

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 728 comments In the late 80's/early 90's, I cut my audiobook baby teeth on abridged audiobook cassettes of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt adventure stories. On long drives on boring interstate highways between Minnesota and Iowa, I would stop at truck stops and rent an audiobook. Apparently truckers liked Dirk Pitt stories, because there were always some. And I discovered that I really liked them also. Dirk is in many ways the typical macho adventure story hero, but mix in environmental issues, the ocean and history and I was totally drawn into his stories.

My favorite Dirk Pitt novel is Sahara (which was made into a pretty decent movie staring Matthew McConaughey and Penelope Cruz). Arctic Drift has many of the same elements as Sahara - just set in the opposite climate LOL. An environmental emergency is being made worse by a greedy and evil corporate magnate. An innocent scientist /doctor gets mixed up in it and almost killed. And an ancient shipwreck (the Terror) and a native tribe (the Inuit) hold the key to solving the crisis. It's up to Dirk and his organization (NUMA - National Underwater Marine Agency) to save the day. Which of course he does and the bad guy totally gets a taste of his own medicine in the end!

So it's a well worn plotline. But you know what - I didn't care! It was a total comfort read to me. Nice to think that the good guys - and the environment - might win for once.

The only real differences were that Dirk didn't have a romance with the female doctor/scientist (because he's married in this book) and he is now being assisted in his adventures by his two grown children - who of course are chips off the old block.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Wait - you could RENT audiobooks at truck stops back then?! How did I not know that?

Great review. This is an author I have totally ignored, but it sounds like I would have liked some of his books. Plus, NUMA sounds like something my husband would like. I'm trying to find books for him to read. (He loved the Lager Queen of Minnesota.)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol The NUMA series and the Oregon Files series are wonderful. I've read them all and can't say enough good things about them.