What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Young Adult - Post-World War 2. Sick Mother several Children to different relatives homes

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sector18 (last edited Jul 27, 2020 10:42PM) (new)

Sector18 | 3 comments It was published sometime before 1960 (year I read it as a child), I believe a post-WW2 book. Set in either USA or England. It is about a family with several children, and the mother becomes sick and has to go to hospital.

The book opens with a family meeting where the parents tell the children they are to be sent to stay with different relatives. Each relative's family is quite unique and the book describes each child's experience.

One child, a boy I think, gets sent to a childless couple living in the middle-of-nowhere and has to adjust to the new environment. I especially remember one of the children who is a shy young girl, and she gets sent to an uncle who is very outgoing and has a boisterous family. She likes to read quietly, and while the family plays the British game 'rounders' outside, she sneaks off to the neighbor who is a friendly older lady and loves books and reading. Eventually the mother recovers and the family is reunited.

message 2: by Sector18 (new)

Sector18 | 3 comments Bump

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20144 comments What country were you in when you read it?

If the family was playing Rounders, I would guess the book is set in England. I don't believe this is a known game in the USA.

message 4: by Sector18 (new)

Sector18 | 3 comments I read it in the USA. Thanks. Rainbowheart wrote: "What country were you in when you read it?

If the family was playing Rounders, I would guess the book is set in England. I don't believe this is a known game in the USA."