Play Book Tag discussion

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
This topic is about As You Wish
May 2020: Comedy > (Poll Ballot Tally) As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5069 comments I'm embarrassed to admit that I was kind of indifferent to reading this book. While I absolutely loved The Princess Bride when I first read it as a teen, the movie did not occupy the same place in my heart. It was wonderful, and Buttercup and Westley were perfectly cast, but some parts just did not capture the book to my liking. But I think that's common for readers - there are very few films that have the same impact as the book does, even a very good film.

This book has been on my TBR but it was buried somewhere in the back, and I'm very glad that this year's Poll Ballot Tally made me finally pick it up. From the very beginning it grabbed my attention and held it. It was interesting, fascinating, and most of all, absolutely hilarious! And it makes me want to watch the film again, which I no doubt will do very soon. Highly recommended!

Karin | 7202 comments Did you read it in print? It would have gone down a full star for me if I'd read it in print, I think. I loved the audio presentation, which put it up to 4 stars for me.

annapi | 5069 comments Yes, I read it in print as I don't do audio, although I'm sure this is one that would be great for audio.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I've never seen this movie, but did notice it just became available on Disney+. Perhaps I'll watch it sometime.

Charlotte | 1596 comments The audio version of this was fantastic as so many members of the cast were involved in the recording. The parts about Andre the Giant were so, so sweet.

Karin | 7202 comments Charlotte wrote: "The audio version of this was fantastic as so many members of the cast were involved in the recording. The parts about Andre the Giant were so, so sweet."

Just what I was going to say :)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5575 comments The movie was on Ovation twice last week. Maybe it will be on again soon.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Joi wrote: "I've never seen this movie, but did notice it just became available on Disney+. Perhaps I'll watch it sometime."

I hope you watch this and enjoy it. Its a love or hate movie. I love it, my wife hates it. haha.

message 9: by Jason (last edited May 23, 2020 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I enjoyed this book. The stories were interesting and add to the movie when you watch it for the 1000 time.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Jason, our purple people could have used you on our team this year.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy wrote: "Jason, our purple people could have used you on our team this year."

I assume its too late to jump in.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Gotta ask Nicole! Tell her specifically that the purple people need you!

annapi | 5069 comments I just watched the movie two days ago on the Disney+ channel. It was fun looking out for all the stuff Cary Elwes mentions in his memoir!

LibraryCin | 8627 comments Karin wrote: "Did you read it in print? It would have gone down a full star for me if I'd read it in print, I think. I loved the audio presentation, which put it up to 4 stars for me."

I also loved the audio! I heard there were some good photos in the print book, though.

message 15: by Robin P (last edited May 23, 2020 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 1864 comments I did this on audio, so I didn't realize there were photos, but having so many of the cast on the audio was great. My daughter loves the movie so she even listened to it, although she rarely listens to audiobooks.

I was astounded by how much work they put into the sword fight scene!

Karin | 7202 comments Robin wrote: "I did this on audio, so I didn't realize there were photos, but having so many of the cast on the audio was great. My daughter loves the movie so she even listened to it, although she rarely listen..."

I loved the audiobook, but it would have been fun to see the photos!