YCLD Book Club discussion

Carnegie's Maid
This topic is about Carnegie's Maid
May 2020 > Questions From the Reading Guide

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth | 30 comments Mod
Here are some questions taken from the Reading Group Guide in the back of the book. Share some of your thoughts.

Compare and contrast Andrew and Clara. How are they similar? How are they different? Who do you relate to more?

What is something you learned about this time period or Andrew Carnegie that fascinated you?

Chip Myers | 5 comments as an early tycoon, he was ruthless. Taking over companies and laying off workers. I understand the economics of it but I dont think I could do it. second question;
They both had vision makes them similar, her compassion and heart made them different and indeed changed the man he was to become!

Elizabeth | 30 comments Mod
I think Clara helped show the softer side of Andrew. She represented that many of us are flawed people who can bargain away our actions. It was clear Andrew Carnegie was a ruthless businessman. I’m left wondering what compelled his actions as a great philanthropist. Marie Benedict provides a romantic possibility. In many ways I think that discounts what must have taken place within this man.

Though further reading, I learned Andrew made a vow not to marry until his Mother died. On April 22, 1887 Andrew married the much younger Louise Whitfeld and they had one child.

Checkout this interesting article how Andrew tried to stop World War I by bribing Kaiser Wilhelm. http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/07...

This is just the beginning of my education of Andrew Carnegie. There is so much to learn.