Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkeban - 5 stars, by JK Rowling

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments And So Completes Apparently the Fifth reading of The Prisoner of Azkeban, my absolute favorite of the Harry Potter Series. In this version, my almost ten year old, who has become a Potterhead, is creating the scene for the last three chapters. He brings a red panda, who we have been using for Crookshanks. There is a dog toy we are using for the Rat. There is a Giant Black dog with a pink toungue, we have been using for the Grim, his name is Devin and he joined us from Dave and Busters about 6 months ago. There are two lit wands. There is some kind of discussion and without wanting to reveal too much, I tell him I think we are going to need the wolf. A huge alaskan wolf creature arrives from the older boys bedroom. He asks me about the Patronus he knows is coming. After all, the Chapter is titled the Dementor's Kiss, and the entire book has been leading up to this morning. But I say, when its right, the appropriate animal will emerge. After all, we have Keeps the Dog, and a few others on hand. And in my bedroom, we dive into the final three chapters of this beautiful book, a love story to friendship, to magic, to heriosm, and to having our parents live inside us. My littlest guy insists he is not moved, prides himself on the principle of his stoicism, but was extremely upset, that there was no evidence to prove that an injustice had occurred, and that because of that, great potential was lost. He kept insisting, the book can't end that way.... That gets solved in later books, right? Um, no I'm not sure it does. Too young to know despair. But he got the whole thing, about the circle of friendships, and about being a father's son.

Here is the old review written for my now 15 year old, four years ago. We will all watch the movie together Saturday night. As this has been his favorite book of the series too, we had a lot of special time sharing about it. Reliving the moments. Being moved together. I do think he enjoyed us reading it as much as we did.

Old Review:

Finished this 5 star read for the fourth time, this time with my 11 year old. In fact we spent the evening way past bedtime, just to finish it until the end. He loved it! Loved every inch of its beautiful tale. This one, book three, is but far my favorite of the entire series of seven. I will tell you why, but just in case there is someone left who hasn't yet read it, I will be discreet. Part of fun is unraveling the magic. Why is this one my absolute favorite? Of course because of the Marauders Map - but especially because of the (seemingly albeit complicated) friendship of Harry's father James that he shares with his close friends, that mirrors the friendship amongst Harry, Ron, and Hermione. This is a precursor to the constant theme - Harry is protected by love, and wherever he goes, he is surrounded by people who will stand for him. It is because of friendship and loyalty, that Harry always transcends the dark forces that try to surround him. It is the consummate message of our age. That love always and still wins out over evil. That love protects us, strengthens us, and that we are never truly alone. Revealing this book's unfolding to my son made me smile all day on Sunday, and last night finishing it made us snuggle and cackle with joy. Even my older one got into the act. He wanted to know where we were in the story. And got excited for how it all turned out. Older guy will start book six with me, when we finally finish the Lightning Thief.

For myself, just started the Light of Paris. Fits a personal challenge, my Stair Six of "Paris." About 10 books await in the hallway. February is going to be a delightful month.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7503 comments Lovely review(s) and the love of your boys shines through! I have the urge to wrangle my grown daughter and have her lay her head on my lap while we read together...miss those days

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments Did you and your daughter watch the survivor finale? That might be a separate thread or a private text, but let me tell you we were all screaming our heads off!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7503 comments LoL-we are 8 episodes behind! She is on furlough this week, so we may get them all in.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6714 comments Amy wrote: "Did you and your daughter watch the survivor finale? That might be a separate thread or a private text, but let me tell you we were all screaming our heads off!"

I meant to start a thread discussion of the Survivor Finale! Not sure what happened -- work probably. Please, do start a thread and I'll join in.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6714 comments Amy - your sharing your revisit to HP with your youngest has me yearning to settle in for a long binge watch of the movies. Or actually maybe what you have done - watch each movie after each book. Alas, can't happen until Proust finished. But as I have no social engagements prior to 2021...this summer will be my date with Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

Oh, and just remembered (because staring at me from the floor), for the 25th Anniversary I treated myself to a set of the British editions in paperback. Now that could be interesting!